Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 12:32 AM

954 posts, read 1,280,430 times

Advertisements

I'm not homophobic, I would advocate a heterosexual teacher being fired as well.

I think when it comes to certain government positions, you have to accept that part of your job is discretion in your private life.

I gotta wonder though... Who turned him in? Some conflicted dad trolling the gay hookups page while the wife and kids are at soccer practice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 12:43 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
I'm not homophobic, I would advocate a heterosexual teacher being fired as well.

I think when it comes to certain government positions, you have to accept that part of your job is discretion in your private life.
True, but how MUCH discretion is necessary? I am a "public servant" myself, and still feel I have the right to a personal life... I date, have sex (not lately, LOL), talk about controversial issues, and even indulge in legal mind-altering substances here & there. But I don't let those things interfere with or coincide with work, and for the most part I am even careful of online interactions - i.e., I keep my Facebook page completely "work friendly," even though I use the appropriate privacy settings. So I guess the line between personal & private is blurry here, but at the most I think he is only guilty of being careless.

Quote:
I gotta wonder though... Who turned him in? Some conflicted dad trolling the gay hookups page while the wife and kids are at soccer practice?
I know, huh?! As I said earlier, the article I read stated that a parent discovered the ad - didn't specify if it was a mother or father, but I suspect it was the latter.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:43 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
What kind of surroundings do you live in anyway? Maybe living in the Midwest makes me sheltered but if so I am thankful for it. LOL

If people don't agree they are judgemental in a negative way but if they agree then they are judgemental in a positive way. I get it.
the sheltered areas are where the scandalousness lives and breeds...under that classic mid western american town's skin you live in is a bunch of horny doctors, lawyers, married, single, gay, straight, bisexual, transgendered freaks looking for others amongst all that wholesomeness in hopes of making a freaky real time connection behind closed doors
to say being sheltered is good.. is like saying.. ignorance is bliss...
raising your kids in a sheltered environment is a recipe for disaster....
I think a wholesome environment is good for the soul.. but that shouldn't keep you in bubble unaware and unprepared for the strange and bizarre world around you..because when faced with such a situation you lack logical coping skills in coming to terms with it all and you're either closed off to ideas and people because they have different values than you.. or you fall off the deep end and naively get sucked into dark side of it all and you end up being a 2 dollar hooker walking the strip in vegas every friday night in hopes of scoring some rock...lol

just sayin...

Old 08-26-2011, 12:44 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post

probably... lol

Old 08-26-2011, 01:21 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
the sheltered areas are where the scandalousness lives and breeds...under that classic mid western american town's skin you live in is a bunch of horny doctors, lawyers, married, single, gay, straight, bisexual, transgendered freaks looking for others amongst all that wholesomeness in hopes of making a freaky real time connection behind closed doors
to say being sheltered is good.. is like saying.. ignorance is bliss...
raising your kids in a sheltered environment is a recipe for disaster....
I think a wholesome environment is good for the soul.. but that shouldn't keep you in bubble unaware and unprepared for the strange and bizarre world around you..because when faced with such a situation you lack logical coping skills in coming to terms with it all and you're either closed off to ideas and people because they have different values than you.. or you fall off the deep end and naively get sucked into dark side of it all and you end up being a 2 dollar hooker walking the strip in vegas every friday night in hopes of scoring some rock...lol

just sayin...
I guess I am sheltered but like it that way. Funny you should post Vegas. Only bizarre types I came across was in Vegas. It must have been a gay hooker guy the way he was dressed. He came into the hotel lobby, got a Freska, dropped a small bottle of whiskey into it and slugged it down. Guess he was between appointments and had to get the taste out of his mouth. I felt sorry for him. Your 2 dollar hooker for sure.

Then walking to downtown from the parking lot was a drunk laying in the gutter who had just thrown up. A street minister was talking to him, probably on how he was going to spend the night and if he had anyone to contact.

I guess I will remain closed off and leave it to the "religious nuts" to help the needy on the streets of Vegas. I feel sorry for them but I don't have the training to help.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:30 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
What he does on the clock is everyone's business since he's a public sector worker. What he does off the clock isn't.
In some cases it is. The controversy would have crippled his ability to do his job anyway.
In olden times teachers really did have to live up to a certain standard as far as their private lives went. Even getting pregnant was a big deal. When a community entrusts their kids to someone they do have expectations, even though they are usually quite low these days.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:19 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,633,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
It's good to see them get it right
Exactly

Old 08-26-2011, 07:34 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
I think what the problem here is, not that he is looking for "hook ups", it's that he chose a public forum to post nude pictures of himself..

I don't know about you, but I work in IT, and MANY middle schoolers and even some grade schoolers are capable of getting to Craigslist without any difficulty.

Some even like going to the personals and giggling at the posts. Do you want them finding a naked picture of their own teacher there?

Yes, private life is private life, but at least use a bit of common sense and keep it off of everyone's computer?

Old 08-26-2011, 10:54 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
What kind of surroundings do you live in anyway? Maybe living in the Midwest makes me sheltered but if so I am thankful for it. LOL

If people don't agree they are judgemental in a negative way but if they agree then they are judgemental in a positive way. I get it.
I just took a cruise over to the Wichita Kansas craigslist board - plenty of sex adds (well over 100 so far today and it's not even noon) with pictures of genitals (mostly in the men seeking women category as you'd expect).

Old 08-26-2011, 10:54 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
In some cases it is. The controversy would have crippled his ability to do his job anyway.
In olden times teachers really did have to live up to a certain standard as far as their private lives went. Even getting pregnant was a big deal. When a community entrusts their kids to someone they do have expectations, even though they are usually quite low these days.

In olden times, the general populace thought the world was flat. Some still do.

I have rather high expectations. I expect the teachers to teach, which is obviously quite rare these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies