Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 08:06 AM

639 posts, read 1,290,250 times

Advertisements

How can you put it in the same category as Cancer or mental retardations? Becoming an alcoholic is a choice!

But many people do put them in the same category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 08:30 AM

25,960 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Alcoholism is an addiction to alcohol and I suppose that the "disease" only relates to the host of ailments that the addiction causes on the organs of the body. It does not compare to cancer, mental retardation, etc. Alcohol is a coping mechanism and fills the void created by poor mental health - if it were not alcohol, it would be some other vise filling the void - drugs, gambling, sex - whatever it takes to escape. People are no longer held accountable for their behaviors but given a list of excuses to chose from. Is obesity a disease?

Old 04-30-2011, 08:41 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
How can you put it in the same category as Cancer or mental retardations? Becoming an alcoholic is a choice!

Mental retardation is not a disease; it is a birth defect.

"Alcoholism is a primary, chronic disease with genetic, psychosocial, and environmental factors influencing its development and manifestations. The disease is often progressive and fatal. It is characterized by continuous or periodic: impaired control over drinking, preoccupation with the drug alcohol, use of alcohol despite adverse consequences, and distortions in thinking, most notably denial."

Dependency on alcohol, also known as alcohol addiction and alcoholism, is a chronic disease. The signs and symptoms of alcohol dependence include—
  • A strong craving for alcohol.
  • Continued use despite repeated physical, psychological, or interpersonal problems.
  • The inability to limit drinking.
from

Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Fourth Edition (DSM-IV), published by the American Psychiatric Association, Washington D.C., 1994.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-30-2011 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: Leave the modding to the mods, please.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:06 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I thni its a addiction that causes many diseases same as smoking.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:06 AM

88,594 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Eh, I disagree with the DSM-IV. I don't think it's a primary disease at all. The addiction is very real, as anyone who's watched an alkie go through withdrawal can attest, but in my involuntary interaction with dedicated, ordained, committed drunks over a lot of years, I know that there are certain character traits that most of them share. The main one is self-centeredness. Even alcoholics who admit to their alcoholism are rarely able to grasp just how much their drinking harms others. They can only see how it affects them. AA works for many of them because it is also based on self-centeredness but in a more positive way.

I do know a small percentage of recovered alcoholics who have managed to do the work and change their outlook and their character flaws to become aware of how their drinking affected others. Some have stopped drinking for decades. This small percentage does represent a lot of people, and because of that, I really have no problem with the medical community classifying alcoholism as a disease so that treatment is available.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:19 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,250,314 times
As an admitted alcoholic, it is not a disease! I drink because I want to drink. If alcoholism is a disease, it is the only disease that you can stop at any time. I would like to see someone tell a person with cancer to just "stop and get better." The only thing I can say is alcoholism causes other diseases, but is not a disease in itself.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:04 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
His opinion is as reliavant as any other really. Jut because people are doctors who wnat to treat it has a disaease to get it covered by insurnace or thru work sick leave while others fire people for it. If its a disease then smoking is .Everyone has a right to a opinion and it counts in society. Next you will hear that credit card use abuse is a disease but few except it as such altho it can have social and other reasons as a reason of why people do it.IMO;alcoholism is a treatable addiction and many areas of society treat it has such. I know three former alcoholics who basically stopped on their own with no treatemnt for the addiction.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:38 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
How does 'choice' obviate disease?

If someone buys a McMansion that they could not otherwise afford and it is located next to a known chemical waste dump that causes cancer then: Cancer is a choice.

If a woman consumes huge amounts of drugs during pregnancy causing defects in her fetus then: Mental Retardation is a choice.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:17 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,476,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post

No, it is not a choice for these people that are alcoholics. At first it is a choice for them as everyone else BUT their bodies react to alcohol differently and they crave it.

So, yes, it is a disease. Also it is hereditary disease.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:19 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,476,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
As an admitted alcoholic, it is not a disease! I drink because I want to drink. If alcoholism is a disease, it is the only disease that you can stop at any time. I would like to see someone tell a person with cancer to just "stop and get better." The only thing I can say is alcoholism causes other diseases, but is not a disease in itself.
You are not correct IMO. Can you stop at any time? I doubt it. And when you do, you'll have plenty of withdrawal symptoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies