Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 07:22 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,812,766 times

Advertisements

What has been posited regarding bringing back jobs?

We know the problem is living wage manufacturing and middle management jobs have gone overseas. That has been mentioned for a number of years as a problem. So what do we do about it? I hear enough about the problem, what are the solutions?

Tariffs would cause severe repercussions with foreign debt holders and generate retaliatory action leading to trade wars which other countries would take advantage of to increase their exports. So I rule that out as an option. I think we wish to bring the jobs back and still be able to have an export market. Similar to Germany which manufactures, consumes and exports surpluses.

Appropriate currency evaluation of China is unlikely to happen as there are consequences from forcing a debt holder and a sovereign country to action.

Is it raising corporate taxes and then issue credits on the degree to which an items is "Made in the USA?" Much in the same vein as energy or green credits are provided now?

We have gas guzzler tax on vehicles which do not meet CAFE.-Ferrari, Jaguar,etc. So how about smog tax to products from countries without environmental controls?

I think in terms of what aspect of regulation caused foreign auto companies to establish factories in the USA to employ workers.

What else has been mentioned?

Last edited by Felix C; 05-06-2011 at 07:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 07:24 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,182,772 times
What about the average consumer willing to pay more for the products?

What about the average worker willing to work for less?

Old 05-06-2011, 07:26 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,529,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
What has been posited regarding bringing back jobs?

We know the problem is living wage manufacuring and middle management jobs have gone overseas. That has been mentioned for a number of years as a problem. So what do we do about it? I hear enough about the problem, what are the solutions?

Tariffs would cause severe repercussions with foreign debt holders and generate retaliatory action leading to trade wards which other countries would take advantage of to increase their exports. So I rule that out as an option.

Appropriate currency evaluation of China is unlikely to happen as they are repercussions from forcing a debt holder.

Is it raising corporate taxes and then issue credits on the degree to which an items is "Made in the USA?" Much in the same vein as energy or green credits are provided now?

We have gas guzzler tax on vehicles which do not meet CAFE.-Ferrari, Jaguar,etc. So how about smog tax to products from countries without environmental controls?

I think in terms of what aspect of regulation caused foreign auto companies to establish factories in the USA to employ workers.

What else has been mentioned?
Repeal NAFTA
Repeal the China trade act of 2000

With our idea of a safe regulated work place and the products we produce, only tariffs will put us back to work, making the products we use.

There are only two ways to bring jobs back to the USA.

1.) Tariffs

2.) Drop ALL REGULATIONS and restrictions on business and workers rights.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:28 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,441,895 times
1. repeal/eliminate all the nafta/cafta/ofta freetrade agreements

2. re-install the import tarriffs like we USED to have

3. lower corporate taxes

jobs are going to be where it is cheaper to produce
if a company like GE finds its cheaoer to manufacture in mexico and ship it in, than to produce here they will... import tarrifs (to include on american companies like GE) will level the playing field

Old 05-06-2011, 07:31 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,584,550 times
Yes, end NAFTA and the China trade act and do something about the millions of illegals living here both those on welfare programs and those working, fine the employers of illegals and imprison the biggest abusers.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:34 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,529,393 times
Ross Perot said it best.

Turned out to be so true.

We've heard the sucking sound for 15 years now.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:40 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,410,688 times
It is the liberal freaks who have made existence in the US untenable for businesses. Their excessive regulation, taxation, Marxist ideology, and their abject hatred of anyone that is successful is enough to drive any sane business out of the country. NAFTA and GATT are nits compared to the anti-business liberal freaks.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:42 AM

13,631 posts, read 20,730,849 times
Factories were moving overseas long before NAFTA and the like were conceived.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:00 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,812,766 times
Every action has consequences both short and long term. Proper planning is in creating a flow chart or matrix of outcomes from each decision. I suppose no one in authority forecast the effects of all these agreements in actually eliminating a portion of the middle class.Well, Ross Perot is mentioned but truthfully he was a bit too eccentric to be listened to at the time. (I recall the infamous family wedding disruption announcement.)

I suppose this is what happens when we have a majority of public office holders being lawyers, instead of a cross-section of industry, being advised by those with secure jobs as civil servants and tenured academics.

I note the post-WWII thru late 1960s French economy and later a number of 1980s/1990s Latin American ones went through a period of instability as each succeeding government attempt measures based on academic theories which disrupted business processes.

It is fine to recommend measures but what about possible outcomes?

Old 05-06-2011, 08:05 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,311,067 times
Why would any manufacturer want to move back? Look what happened to Boeing in SC. And any business trying to build facilities would run the formidable gauntlet of years of environmental reports for the EPA. America talks a good game, but it is not a manufacturing friendly country anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies