Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 11:32 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
What do you Obama lovers think of presidential candidate Herman Cain?
Much too black, I would have to see his long form birth cert. What kind of a name is Herman anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 11:33 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
KKK is not a religion. Or, is it?

They have a belief. They have an agenda, just like any other religion or organized group.

Think about it.

It probably is illegal to come out and announce you would discriminate against any human being. But, what would be the public outcry if they were discriminated against, because they were white supremacist. NONE!

Old 05-06-2011, 11:36 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Never had his pizza so can't comment on that.
Based on what I've read and heard so far, I don't agree with his politics.
Based on his bio that he gives on his web site, he has never held public office. Did wonders in the coca cola industry though and burger king.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:42 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
Quote:
That is correct. However, to stand up and claim that candidates will be disqualified for their religion demonstrates blatant disrespect for the US constitution and the government it defines.

"Religion & Government will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together"
- James Madison
I did see him qualify his statement, saying something to the effect that he would consider a muslim if they made it clear that they would put adherence to the U.S. government laws above their personal religion (which apparently dictates their laws/Sharia.) So I think he was attempting to make a statement that actually supports the Madison quote you gave above; he couldn't appoint someone who would mix religion & government. Anyway, I think it was an unfortunate impulsive comment he made and will probably cost him in the elections.

I like the man but doubt that I would vote for him for President (at least not now.) I favor Ron Paul.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:51 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,845,153 times
This whole Sharia law thing is baseless fearmongering. It's completely ridiculous, and anyone using it to advance their political agenda should be ashamed.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:54 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They have a belief. They have an agenda, just like any other religion or organized group.
But that doesn't make it a religion. The fact that the constitution expects the government to look past the religion, making religion a pre-requisite in the government is violation of that.

Quote:
It probably is illegal to come out and announce you would discriminate against any human being. But, what would be the public outcry if they were discriminated against, because they were white supremacist. NONE!
Does that not apply to Cain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
I did see him qualify his statement, saying something to the effect that he would consider a muslim if they made it clear that they would put adherence to the U.S. government laws above their personal religion (which apparently dictates their laws/Sharia.) So I think he was attempting to make a statement that actually supports the Madison quote you gave above; he couldn't appoint someone who would mix religion & government. Anyway, I think it was an unfortunate impulsive comment he made and will probably cost him in the elections.
The fact that he is resorting to exception based on religion is disrespecting the constitution. Such requirements that religious beliefs be not be determining factor in governance doesn't apply only to Muslims, but to ALL.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:58 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
But that doesn't make it a religion. The fact that the constitution expects the government to look past the religion, making religion a pre-requisite in the government is violation of that.

Does that not apply to Cain?

The fact that he is resorting to exception based on religion is disrespecting the constitution. Such requirements that religious beliefs be not be determining factor in governance doesn't apply only to Muslims, but to ALL.
The POTUS can appoint who he wants. End of story.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:01 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,196,047 times
I never heard of Herman Cain until last night's debate, his seems smart and he clearly came
out on top in that debate.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:03 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The POTUS can appoint who he wants. End of story.
Didn't I say yes to it? What you don't want to touch now is the fact that making someone's religious beliefs as a requirement for candidacy is, targeting a specific religion, is disrespecting the constitution.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:04 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Didn't I say yes to it? What you don't want to touch now is the fact that making someone's religious beliefs as a requirement for candidacy is, targeting a specific religion, is disrespecting the constitution.
That's only if that is the reason TOLD to them. The POTUS doesn't have to say that, all he has to say is "I don't want to hire you". That's it. No laws broken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies