Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you better off now than you were on 1/20/09?
Yes, I am better off 108 57.45%
No, things are worse and are getting worse by the day 80 42.55%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 06:28 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
HowTF do I take a class, get new skills? I have no money and can't borrow.

are you serious? grants...scholarships...FREE classes...

if you have the WILL to do better, you WILL do better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 08:57 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
are you serious? grants...scholarships...FREE classes...

if you have the WILL to do better, you WILL do better

No, seriously, I don't qualify for grants and there aren't a lot of scholarships for people over 50. But that reminds me to look for free online classes. There were some free online classes I wanted to sign up for but I didn't have the right hardware for it. (The classes are through iTunes or something and when I checked it required better hardware than I had.)

Old 05-09-2011, 09:37 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,210,202 times
Quote:
No, seriously, I don't qualify for grants and there aren't a lot of scholarships for people over 50. But that reminds me to look for free online classes. There were some free online classes I wanted to sign up for but I didn't have the right hardware for it. (The classes are through iTunes or something and when I checked it required better hardware than I had.)
Perhaps if you spent less time on CD and more time at the library read tradesman books, or whatever is relevant to your career-path.

While it is true that Obamanomics is ripping the heart out of the economy, there are still opportunities, despite Spike Obama's efforts to chill the economy until it is like a block of ice.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:41 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
I was laid off in May of 2009, but I'm doing better now. It took a year and a half to find a job, but my new job pays 54% more than the one I lost. Obama had nothing to do with the economy being where it was in 2009... but my new job is all about health care reform, so I guess I can thank Obama/Democrats for my new, higher paying job

Old 05-09-2011, 10:01 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Our demise started late late 2008. We had been struggling all year, but come that fall we knew we were sinking fast. The organization I worked for started down sizing for the first time in its 75 year history. There were NO other jobs in education to be found. My wife had been looking for employment for almost 3 years. I was making nearly $60K and still couldn't stay ahead of the bills--and we were paying cash for everything. All we really had was the house note and utilities. Cars were paid for and we had no credit cards.
Then January 2009 I lost my position and had we had to quickly make new plans. We knew unemployment couldn't pay anything BUT the house note, which left us with ZERO for food, utiities, and whatever. On the otherhand we could fore go the house note, pay utilities and have some money left for a worthless job search.
So we packed up and left state where I am making $46K, the wife is employed at $20K and we are doing way better than we had been in the North Country..other than losing everything, leaving family and starting over with nothing...life is good...

Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
How about an option for staying about the same? My life hasn't changed much for the worse or better.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:45 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
HowTF do I take a class, get new skills? I have no money and can't borrow.
There are plenty of programs out there for people going back to school to get new skills. Scholarships, grants and waivers are available for pretty much anyone who looks hard enough. I decided to go back to school this summer and you wanna know how much my tuition cost? $15. For full time, and this is at a local community college that ranks in the top 100 in the country. A grant covered my books and supplies.

I think you'd be surprised at how much is available out here. The age thig is nothing but an excuse... My 67 year old grandmother got $1500 to cover her tuition for some art classes through a foundation she found online.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:58 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
those would be YOUR PROBLEMS, you failed to prepare yourself to succeed, time to be responsible for your own destiny...
Quote:
I am old and unskilled. How TF am I supposed to get a better job?

Old 05-09-2011, 04:03 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
sorry, actually seeing the gas prices falling in my neighborhood has nothing to do with anything Obama says.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
You mean you actually are falling for obama's bs -again?

Old 05-11-2011, 12:27 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
my investments and bank interest have taken a huge hit with no relief in site.
How did your investments take a huge hit from Jan 2009 until now? The S&P500 went from 840 to over 1300 in that time.

What were you invested in, a savings account?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies