Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:28 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Exxon Mobil is by far the most profitable company in the new Fortune 500 list, riding “high oil prices to a staggering $30 billion in income” in 2010.

Exxon made over $10 billion more than fellow oil giant Chevron, the third most profitable company (AT&T edged out Chevron for the number two spot). ConocoPhillips’ $11.4 billion in profits put it in the 16th spot, giving the three oil giants a combined $60.9 billion in profits in 2010.

Today, the Republicans in the House of Representatives celebrated this massive redistribution of wealth from American families to oil executives. With the support of 7 oil-patch Democrats, 234 Republicans voted to block a bill to eliminate a $1.8 billion annual subsidy that treats oil drilling as “domestic manufacturing”:

House Republicans rejected an effort by Democrats Thursday to use a procedural maneuver to force a vote on a bill to repeal a key oil industry tax break.

As they did in March, House Republicans voted unanimously to defend these wasteful, unaffordable and unfair oil subsidies, even though several members told their constituents they want to end them.

Exxon Makes $30.5 Billion, So GOP Votes Unanimously To Give Them Tax Breaks - BlackListedNews.com

how about giving all americans a tax break across the board of 25%, plus getting rid of both state and federal gasoline taxes as well.

that would be a nice break from both the states and feds.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:29 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
the government already makes so much money on them they had to keep them profitable.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:17 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,738,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Thanks for posting. Just more proof that the GOP is very wrong for this country, and THE problem. I find their presence to be disgraceful for reasons such as this.
I tend to agree with Republicans like Ron Paul and Democrats like Dennis Kucinich who say that the problems extend across both parties - but the Repubs are just more obvious in their support of the wealthy class at the expense of the middle class.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:28 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
I tend to agree with Republicans like Ron Paul and Democrats like Dennis Kucinich who say that the problems extend across both parties - but the Repubs are just more obvious in their support of the wealthy class at the expense of the middle class.
I find I feel the same way.. however

I grew up in Mass, a democratic state much like NY and Jersey.. It was my experience corruption runs deep deep deep with democrats.. I grew up hearing stories and then as I got older witnessing first hand the accepted practice that it was in Mass to buy anything you needed.. I know people who paid for their civil service jobs, earned retirements in Unions by paying dues but never actually had to show up for work.. pay offs for everything... it was a way of life around there..

people would be astonished at the pay civil servants get around there along with union jobs.. getting a government job in ma is like winning a lottery.. very difficult and financially rewarding..

I suspect some of that has changed.. But when I lived in Va for a while and did business there which was predominantly republican controlled... It was entirely different and how they conducted business was much more on the up and up... I am not saying it doesnt happen... but in no way was it the accepted practice that it was in mass...

from 2006... the numbers are higher again

http://www.bmrb.org/content/upload/SR072.pdf

Old 06-10-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I find I feel the same way.. however

I grew up in Mass, a democratic state much like NY and Jersey.. It was my experience corruption runs deep deep deep with democrats.. I grew up hearing stories and then as I got older witnessing first hand the accepted practice that it was in Mass to buy anything you needed.. I know people who paid for their civil service jobs, earned retirements in Unions by paying dues but never actually had to show up for work.. pay offs for everything... it was a way of life around there..

people would be astonished at the pay civil servants get around there along with union jobs.. getting a government job in ma is like winning a lottery.. very difficult and financially rewarding..

I suspect some of that has changed.. But when I lived in Va for a while and did business there which was predominantly republican controlled... It was entirely different and how they conducted business was much more on the up and up... I am not saying it doesnt happen... but in no way was it the accepted practice that it was in mass...

from 2006... the numbers are higher again

http://www.bmrb.org/content/upload/SR072.pdf

CEO pay is on the rise again. Hooray!

Muhtar Kent: Coca-Cola Co., $24,782,017; +32%...

Gallery | CEO pay on the rise | ajc.com

Old 06-10-2011, 02:47 PM

402 posts, read 589,554 times
Only Republicans can find a way to blame this on Democrats. Even though this type of thing went on in the Bush administration.

I don't understand why so much delusion and lying exists in the Republican party. They can't possibly believe this stuff. It's insane.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:50 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
Only Republicans can find a way to blame this on Democrats. Even though this type of thing went on in the Bush administration.

I don't understand why so much delusion and lying exists in the Republican party. They can't possibly believe this stuff. It's insane.
Only Democrats could show their complete and utter ignorance on the tax code that they helped to write.

Writing off expenses like "payroll", is not a tax break.. But Democrats get played for a fool over, and over, and over, while saying its Republicans lying.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post

The Repubs are the best at hypocrisy - like Newt railing against Clinton's affair, while cheating on his wife. They are sneakier than the Dems, but both parties are rather crappy on the whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies