Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 09:23 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
you are the one that cannot comprehend how lame your post was, big oil owns the GOP.... now tell me how that statement is wrong,
FYI, in 2008 BP gave 61% of the $488k in contributions to R's BP: Summary | OpenSecrets

Like I said, EPIC FAIL on your part.
Let me see if I get this right.

BP gave $488K in donations.

61% is about around $300k.

You are saying BP OWNS the repiubs because the gave a measly $300k.

If that is the case who owns the dems?

The SEIU gave over $2million.
The NEA gave over $2.6 million
The American Federation of Teachers gave over $2.8 million.
United Food and Commercial Workers union gave over $2million.
There are more. Top Overall Donors | OpenSecrets

Do you really think a company that makes over $30 BILLION, is going to be bought for $300k?

If you do, I have a bridge to sell you.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:26 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Thanks for posting. Just more proof that the GOP is very wrong for this country, and THE problem. I find their presence to be disgraceful for reasons such as this.
Sorry to burst your bubble but, the post you so gleefully fawn over has been proven to be wrong.

Maybe you should read the other posts before jumping on the wrong bandwagon. It doesn't make you look good..

Old 05-07-2011, 09:30 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
that is not what you said, you said Obama halted all drilling. apology accepted.

Fact is, GOM fleet utilization is 56%, down only 7% from pre-blowout levels. 70 out of 125 GOM rigs are under contract.

Sounds like Seahawk was the weakest link and was unable to compete. Unless you are advocating more corporate welfare, Seahawk is in the right place today.

BP, Haliburten and RIG f'ed up and we are all paying for their mistakes. I would rather have them learn from their mistakes than to rush into more mishaps. Last I heard Big Oil is still planning to use the same deep water blowout technology that failed last year. It isn't Obama's "policies" hurting GOM drilling, it is Big Oil's refusal to make effective changes to how they do business, they want to go back to the way they did business before the blowout.

Fact is we are awash with Crude Oil, stockpiles are at record levels and the current prices at the pump are not justified. Speculation Does Not Explain High Oil and Gasoline Prices? Please!! | EconMatters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
My apologies. I did not make myself clear.
"The Obama Administration acted in contempt by continuing its deepwater-drilling moratorium after the policy was struck down, a New Orleans judge ruled. U.S. in Contempt Over Gulf Drill Ban, Judge Rules - Bloomberg

I meant deep water drilling.

Obama's drilling moratorium causes major company to go bankrupt

Ed Lasky

[SIZE=3]On top of tens of thousands of workers losing their jobs when Obama imposed a drilling moratorium by executive order (and fudging what scientists and experts believed in order to justify his moratorium) now comes news that Seahawk Drilling, a major publicly-held drilling services company, has declared bankruptcy due to the sharp decline in Gulf drilling work.[/SIZE][SIZE=3]From USA Today:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Seahawk Drilling Inc. said it has filed for bankruptcy protection and plans to sell its fleet of offshore drilling rigs to a competitor for $105 million.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Seahawk, which announced the deal with Hercules Offshore Inc. Friday, has been hurt by a slowdown in Gulf of Mexico drilling after the BP oil spill last April. The government halted drilling in deep waters and imposed tough new rules that have curtained all energy exploration in U.S. waters.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Employees will be let go; shareholders are suffering big losses as the stock plunges. Gulf communities have already been stricken by big job losses and declines in state tax revenues. We have become even more dangerously dependent on overseas sources of crude and prices have skyrocketed as Obama turned the handle to the off position when it comes to Gulf oil drilling.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]There has been a lot of damage caused by [/SIZE][SIZE=3]Barack Obama's policies and there will be a lot more to come as long as he is in office.
American Thinker Blog: Obama's drilling moratorium causes major company to go bankrupt

[/SIZE]

Old 05-07-2011, 09:37 AM

313 posts, read 284,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
The CEO’s and executives are too busy counting their money to be bothered with hiring. They need more! With unimaginably obscene profits like this why is Big Oil still receiving subsidies i.e. handouts from the taxpayers?
They are a large company by market cap, what is their profit margin compared to a company like Google, Apple, or Altria?

What percentage of our oil comes from the supermajors? I read they only control 6% of the world's oil, the rest is in state-owned companies.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:45 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
the claim was BIG OIL OWNS THE GOP

BP is not the whole picture, BIG OIL is dozens of companies, look at them all together, they gave well over 75% of their $36,248,579 contributions to the GOP in 2008. Oil & Gas | OpenSecrets

In 2010 they gaveover 75% of their $30,538,450 contributions to the GOP.

Oil & Gas: Top Contributors to Federal Candidates, Parties, and Outside Groups | OpenSecrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Let me see if I get this right.

BP gave $488K in donations.

61% is about around $300k.

You are saying BP OWNS the repiubs
no, the claim was BIG OIL OWNS THE GOP, if they are giving 75% of what they give to the GOP that would appear to be true.
Quote:
because the gave a measly $300k.

If that is the case who owns the dems?

The SEIU gave over $2million.
The NEA gave over $2.6 million
The American Federation of Teachers gave over $2.8 million.
United Food and Commercial Workers union gave over $2million.
There are more. Top Overall Donors | OpenSecrets

Do you really think a company that makes over $30 BILLION, is going to be bought for $300k?

If you do, I have a bridge to sell you.
nice try though.... LOL

Old 05-07-2011, 04:35 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
sorry, i don't agree. when you run down to the beverage store and pay sales tax on your beer, YOU are paying that tax, not the beer company or the beverage store. You do know that at one time sales tax was a deductible item on individual federal tax returns and is still a tax deduction on many state tax returns. Exxon is taking credit for taxes they DID NOT pay.

Prove it.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
LOL, you are giving EXXON credit for federal gas taxes that the consumer/taxpayer (the ultimate purchaser) pays. We pay the federal gas tax at the pump. If that wasn't the case, IRS Form 4136 wouldn't exist. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4136.pdf

Sorry to disappoint you, but we pay ALL corporate taxes. It doesn't matter what form they are in, consumers pay all corporate taxes for every company.

Corporate taxes are just a way to make politicians look good while driving up consumer prices.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnyc View Post
They are a large company by market cap, what is their profit margin compared to a company like Google, Apple, or Altria?

What percentage of our oil comes from the supermajors? I read they only control 6% of the world's oil, the rest is in state-owned companies.

Exxon's profit was 5.7% of revenue last year which is less than most industries.

Exxon is the 2nd largest publically held oil company and they own less than 1% of the worlds oil reserves. Almost all of the world's oil (over 90%) is held by government owned oil companies.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:

In 2010 they gaveover 75% of their $30,538,450 contributions to the GOP.

Oil & Gas: Top Contributors to Federal Candidates, Parties, and Outside Groups | OpenSecrets

no, the claim was BIG OIL OWNS THE GOP, if they are giving 75% of what they give to the GOP that would appear to be true. nice try though.... LOL

So, using your math they "own" 75% of the GOP and 25% of the Dems....

And you think that makes the Reps vote for tax incentives for oil companies and the Dems vote against tax incentives because they only got 25% ?????

Did you forget the two years the Dems had huge congressional majorities and a Dem president and they did nothing to take away oil company tax incentives?????

Old 05-07-2011, 05:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So, using your math they "own" 75% of the GOP and 25% of the Dems....

And you think that makes the Reps vote for tax incentives for oil companies and the Dems vote against tax incentives because they only got 25% ?????

Did you forget the two years the Dems had huge congressional majorities and a Dem president and they did nothing to take away oil company tax incentives?????
2009 and 2010..Dem House, Dem Senate, Dem President.
What did they do about these oil companies ????

Come on..let's hear it from the left..what did the DEM government do ?
Besides bend over backwards to give BP lots of outs for the GOM spill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies