Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 04:16 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
These kids were charged with invading this person's privacy. They weren't charged with manslaughter or murder or any such thing. So your ranting about how they weren't responsible for his suicide is all irrelevant. They aren't being charged with anything in connection with this suicide. They are being charged with hacking his computer video taping him and publishing it on the internet. Which is completely valid. I don't know why you think they should receive special treatment and avoid prosecution. I went to college for 4 years, and nothing like this ever occurred. But to say this behavior is acceptable is absurd and they are being prosecuted for breaking the law, which they did break and they deserve punishment. Its that simple.
Fascinating. If there wasn't a suicide this case would never have seen the light of day. Stop being disingenuous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 04:22 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
There is no crime here, outside of the parents trying to hoist their failures onto the backs of some 18-year old college students. There was once a time where kids picked on each other, and no one jumped off of a bridge.

Society today has gotten so distorted and culturally/ethically corrupt, that normal human behavior can now be criminally prosecuted. Does any rational person with half a brain think that these 2 kids should have their lives destroyed because they played a prank on this emotionally unstable individual, and actually have to do prison time? This is lunacy.

The 2 students should sue the deceased' parents for harassment, and the state of NJ for passing obscene, irrational laws that contravene all sense of thought. And don't get me started on "hate-crime" legislation, little more than pandering idiocy for certain segments of society.
I've looked at this case from a different perspective. The gay guy was brining in strange men into a shared dorm space. My guess is that Ravi was getting annoyed at being asked to vacate his room for yet another of Tyler's anonymous trysts. This was his passive aggressive way of getting back at him.

It was a prank, period. It's not even clear anyone but the two saw the deed and my guess is that if Ravi is straight his fascination would have lasted all of 1 second after seeing the two men kiss before slamming the laptop shut.

We're talking about coddled suburban 18 year olds who have never been away from home for any appreciable time. They don't teach how to deal with your promiscuous gay roommate in high school. People calling for blood have a couple screws loose in my opinion.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:22 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Fascinating. If there wasn't a suicide this case would never have seen the light of day. Stop being disingenuous.
What charges that the defendants were given have anything to do with this person's suicide? The specific charges.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:36 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I've looked at this case from a different perspective. The gay guy was brining in strange men into a shared dorm space. My guess is that Ravi was getting annoyed at being asked to vacate his room for yet another of Tyler's anonymous trysts. This was his passive aggressive way of getting back at him.

It was a prank, period. It's not even clear anyone but the two saw the deed and my guess is that if Ravi is straight his fascination would have lasted all of 1 second after seeing the two men kiss before slamming the laptop shut.

We're talking about coddled suburban 18 year olds who have never been away from home for any appreciable time. They don't teach how to deal with your promiscuous gay roommate in high school. People calling for blood have a couple screws loose in my opinion.
You've looked at the case from "a different perspective"? I'll say! Pure homophobia-fueled imaginations supported by zero facts. And, by the way, Ravi did this twice, not once, so stop projecting your own insecurity and revulsion.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:40 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
I cannot believe how far our nation has fallen, this entire case is a national disgrace, and I would fire every prosecutor for this outrage:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/07/ny...?ref=nyregion#

"In Fallout of Suicide by Student, a Plea Deal"

I will first state that I have sympathy for the parents of the deceased, as a parent myself I cannot imagine losing a child - BUT - their failure as a parent to raise a child with enough sanity not to commit suicide over teasing from other students is no excuse for the immoral, disgusting destruction of these 2 other students' lives whose actions were once balled "picking on" and that EVERYONE dealt with who ever went to elementary, JHS, HS, or college.

These turd prosecutors, in trying to further their political careers, have utterly destroyed the lives of these 2 students for doing what, putting images and video of the deceased on the web? And the "law" - sounds more like something out of the USSR - a "hate crime" that one of the students allegedly "violated", i.e., acting his age as a dimwit teenager and making fun of another student, could get him FIVE TO TEN YEARS in prison? WTFFY is that?

Is there a decent, intelligent and rational person who cannot see how much of a travesty this is, that this whole "trial" - i.e., witch hunt - to provide a boogeyman to blame for the deceased's parents abject failure to raise their child with some modicum of maturity, self-worth, and fortitude?

This is not in my home state, so I cannot call my elected officials to put a stop to this outrage, but I would hope that all those in NJ would step up and say: "enough!"
You could use a chill pill

Old 05-07-2011, 06:00 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,236 times
[quote=westwaswon;19054662]My mother taught me if you would be ashamed if people found out , don't do it.
quote]

I am sorry but this is BS. I am married, been married 20 years, and I would be more than upset if someone taped my husband and I having intimate relations and broadcasting it. People are allowed privacy in their own home.

I am just glad these kids names are all over the place so regardless of the legal ramifications of their actions they will always be known for what they did and I hope they are reminded of it often.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:16 PM

1,123 posts, read 776,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
You could use a chill pill
Not only one...

Old 05-07-2011, 06:23 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
[quote=jillz;19058907]
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
I am just glad these kids names are all over the place so regardless of the legal ramifications of their actions they will always be known for what they did and I hope they are reminded of it often.
They will live with the shame and guilt of it for the rest of their lives.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:04 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,944 times
Sure ..

And if the one that committed the suicide had been straight .. this never would have ever made the news ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies