Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 08:41 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,769,934 times

Advertisements

I blame banks and consumers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 08:43 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
If America is going to step boldly into the Third World and compete with North Korea and Zimbabwe for slave wage jobs, we must understand that cardboard boxes are good enough for the workers

Old 05-08-2011, 09:30 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Here's a link to an article about people that predicted the housing bubble. 27 of them. All Austrian economists.

The same economists that are continually dismissed when they say that we can't continue the Bush/Obama economic policies and not expect to bankrupt the entire world economy.

Austrians Who Predicted the Housing Bubble « LewRockwell.com Blog
You don't need to be an Australian economist to know that bubbles always burst.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:36 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
I saw it coming in 1999. but I am just an average guy..nothing more

Old 05-08-2011, 09:37 AM

Housing in the New Millennium: A Home Without Equity is Just a Rental with Debt

Joshua Rosner
Graham Fisher & Co.

June 29, 2000

Abstract:
This report assesses the prospects of the U.S. housing/mortgage sector over the next several years. Based on our analysis, we believe there are elements in place for the housing sector to continue to experience growth well above GDP. However, we believe there are risks that can materially distort the growth prospects of the sector. Specifically, it appears that a large portion of the housing sector's growth in the 1990's came from the easing of the credit underwriting process. Such easing includes:

* The drastic reduction of minimum down payment levels from 20% to 0%
* A focused effort to target the "low income" borrower* The reduction in private mortgage insurance requirements on high loan to value mortgages
* The increasing use of software to streamline the origination process and modify/recast delinquent loans in order to keep them classified as "current"
* Changes in the appraisal process which has led to widespread overappraisal/over-valuation problems

If these trends remain in place, it is likely that the home purchase boom of the past decade will continue unabated. Despite the increasingly more difficult economic environment, it may be possible for lenders to further ease credit standards and more fully exploit less penetrated markets. Recently targeted populations that have historically been denied homeownership opportunities have offered the mortgage industry novel hurdles to overcome. Industry participants in combination with eased regulatory standards and the support of the GSEs (Government Sponsored Enterprises) have overcome many of them.

If there is an economic disruption that causes a marked rise in unemployment, the negative impact on the housing market could be quite large. These impacts come in several forms. They include a reduction in the demand for homeownership, a decline in real estate prices and increased foreclosure expenses.

These impacts would be exacerbated by the increasing debt burden of the U.S. consumer and the reduction of home equity available in the home. Although we have yet to see any materially negative consequences of the relaxation of credit standards, we believe the risk of credit relaxation and leverage can't be ignored. Importantly, a relatively new method of loan forgiveness can temporarily alter the perception of credit health in the housing sector. In an effort to keep homeowners in the home and reduce foreclosure expenses, holders of mortgage assets are currently recasting or modifying troubled loans. Such policy initiatives may for a time distort the relevancy of delinquency and foreclosure statistics. However, a protracted housing slowdown could eventually cause modifications to become uneconomic and, thus, credit quality statistics would likely become relevant once again. The virtuous circle of increasing homeownership due to greater leverage has the potential to become a vicious cycle of lower home prices due to an accelerating rate of foreclosures.

..these guys saw the threat in 2000

Old 05-08-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I blame banks and consumers.
I blame government and consumers

Old 05-08-2011, 09:39 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
It's funny. I never hear anyone say, "I didn't see it coming." If everyone saw the crash coming then why did it happen?
Because the ones getting rich only saw the money.

They couldn't have been stupid enough not to see the crash coming, they simply did not care because they were raking in the money for themselves.

Who didn't see the crash coming? How could anyone have not seen it?

Old 05-08-2011, 10:10 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
If you need to blame someone, I blame deregulation policies of Alan Greenspan, and him keeping the interest rates too low for too long.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:18 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I think those of us with consciences, who can tell right from wrong, knew deep down that something was not right when lenders were looking the other way as borrowers falsified income and lended with no money down, etc. It is easy to understand why a couple of kids buying their first house, for example, might think that if a bank would give them a mortgage that they are OK to accept it. I don't blame the borrowers as much as I blame the lenders who failed to use the most basic lending guidlines.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:18 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
It was obvious in Florida, as real estate prices were rising far too fast and properties were flipping faster than pancakes at Dennys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies