Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 03:58 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
You're lucky to have had an awesome grandma! Funny thing is that my mom tries to push the "women belong at home" idea on my sister and I and my dad is the one pushing me to chase my own dreams, which just so happen to lie anywhere but at home.
The "problem" is that you would be equal to a man. You wouldn't be totally dependent on one. A woman should go straight from being her father's child to her husband's child. Oh, and it shouldn't be by choice...women who want to be SAHMs aren't doing it because they are human beings capable of choice, no, they're doing it because it's the "natural order of things".
Apparently being happy and living a full, fulfilling life with a successful career (if that's what you want) and/or a happy family (if that's what you want) is only for men!
My dad used to say the same thing to me. I am 26 and I am not done with school yet but will in the next couple years.

All females in my family have careers. All my aunts and cousins have degrees. My grandmother dropped out of school very early and could barely read or write. She was from a 3rd world country where women did not have a voice. Her father forced her to leave school so she could work in his farm. She married at 14 and had 5 kids by the time she was 21. She wanted the girls in the family to know we didn't have to end up like her; that we could do anything we put our minds into.

She was an amazing old lady and she took the time to raise me from the time I was 3 til I left the house at 18 to pursue my dreams.

I am going to teach the same to my unborn daughter. It is important to have dreams and ambitions. There is nothing wrong with wanting to have a good education and being successful. I am not going to limit her and tell her she can't do certain things because she is a female. It is ridiculous to tell your child she can't do this or that because she wasn't born a man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 04:06 PM

15,072 posts, read 8,629,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
So? There are some very sick women, too.....who just can't handle too much responsibility....
You mean like the ones that say "I don't like children" ?

There is a difference between not wanting to "have children" ... not wanting to "raise children" and the sacrifices that entails ... to the more disturbing attitude of actually disliking children. That's pretty sick if you ask me.

And it's the sign of the times .... women have historically provided the softer, gentler side for humanity ... the wisdom of compassion ... that virtual lighthouse to guide the lost to safety.

The feminists though ... as quickly as they will tell you how terribly screwed up men are ... want to be just like us. That's a bit of a contradiction.

What to destroy a society? Just convince women to behave like men ... abandon their best qualities and contributions ... dislike children and refuse to be mothers and grandmothers ... and you have the task well in hand.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:08 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
You mean like the ones that say "I don't like children" ?

There is a difference between not wanting to "have children" ... not wanting to "raise children" and the sacrifices that entails ... to the more disturbing attitude of actually disliking children. That's pretty sick if you ask me.

And it's the sign of the times .... women have historically provided the softer, gentler side for humanity ... the wisdom of compassion ... that virtual lighthouse to guide the lost to safety.

The feminists though ... as quickly as they will tell you how terribly screwed up men are ... want to be just like us. That's a bit of a contradiction.

What to destroy a society? Just convince women to behave like men ... abandon their best qualities and contributions ... dislike children and refuse to be mothers and grandmothers ... and you have the task well in hand.
Yes, I can't understand as to why some people dislike children. It's a contradiction in terms really. Everyone was a child at one point in their lives.

It's sad. Maybe they have some psychological issues which cause them to dislike children.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:08 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
My dad used to say the same thing to me. I am 26 and I am not done with school yet but will in the next couple years.

All females in my family have careers. All my aunts and cousins have degrees. My grandmother dropped out of school very early and could barely read or write. She was from a 3rd world country where women did not have a voice. Her father forced her to leave school so she could work in his farm. She married at 14 and had 5 kids by the time she was 21. She wanted the girls in the family to know we didn't have to end up like her; that we could do anything we put our minds into.

She was an amazing old lady and she took the time to raise me from the time I was 3 til I left the house at 18 to pursue my dreams.

I am going to teach the same to my unborn daughter. It is important to have dreams and ambitions. There is nothing wrong with wanting to have a good education and being successful. I am not going to limit her and tell her she can't do certain things because she is a female. It is ridiculous to tell your child she can't do this or that because she wasn't born a man.
Thanks for passing the wisdom on to your daughter.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:20 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
How is it that a man can have a career and be a father and be happy and still be masculine, but people want to think an woman can not have a career and be a mother without being unhappy and un-feminine? At the end of the day, both men and women can come home and be loving parents and retain their gender identities.
Yes indeed. A staggering double standard isn't it?

Quote:

You seem to be missing the point, feminism is not about men. At all. I know this pains some men, but seriously the bleating because men are not the center of attention in the discussion about feminism is tiresome. Feminists come in all shapes and sizes, either gender, all career paths, all family structures, all religious and political persuasions, all degrees of femininity. I know that drives misogynists crazy because it's impossible to place all feminists in a little box and label them as all being the same. We are from many different walks of life, we all look different, but we share the belief that women deserve to be treated equally and with respect.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:29 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
You mean like the ones that say "I don't like children" ?"""

I have no idea what that has to do with the post of mine you quoted but...

I was responding to a post that said the stupidity in a book was written by women.....obviously women who didn't want the responsibility of taking care of themselves or holding a job...they thought men should do that.

"""There is a difference between not wanting to "have children" ... not wanting to "raise children" and the sacrifices that entails ... to the more disturbing attitude of actually disliking children. That's pretty sick if you ask me."""

Why? Is it sick if you don't like chocolate?

Is it a good idea to have children because it's what women do, it's "feminine", even if the woman doesn't like them???

""And it's the sign of the times .... women have historically provided the softer, gentler side for humanity ... the wisdom of compassion ... that virtual lighthouse to guide the lost to safety."""

If we're so perfect why don't men try to be more like us???

"""The feminists though ... as quickly as they will tell you how terribly screwed up men are ... want to be just like us. That's a bit of a contradiction."""

SOME do, MOST simply want equality...why is that so hard to understand? It is NOT about MEN...(ya , I know hard for a man to believe!!!!!) Them being so superior and all)

"""What to destroy a society? Just convince women to behave like men ... abandon their best qualities and contributions ... dislike children and refuse to be mothers and grandmothers ... and you have the task well in hand.

WHERE does anyone promote giving up one's better qualities???

WHERE did feminism put forward disliking children as a tenet??

NO WHERE ...you're blowing sexist mysoginist smoke...

BTW, very telling how you think of women as things that are all alike, think alike, should be alike....we aren't, we don't have to be....

Old 05-09-2011, 04:39 PM

15,072 posts, read 8,629,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yes indeed. A staggering double standard isn't it?
You seem to be missing the point, feminism is not about men. At all. I know this pains some men, but seriously the bleating because men are not the center of attention in the discussion about feminism is tiresome. Feminists come in all shapes and sizes, either gender, all career paths, all family structures, all religious and political persuasions, all degrees of femininity. I know that drives misogynists crazy because it's impossible to place all feminists in a little box and label them as all being the same. We are from many different walks of life, we all look different, but we share the belief that women deserve to be treated equally and with respect.
No ... I'm not missing the point ... and contrary to your insinuation ... anyone who doesn't agree with your self centered, self righteous ideologies is not automatically a "woman hater". Such rhetoric exposes the real undercurrent ... your hatred of men, which is not necessarily central to the feminist agenda, but is a predominate attitude within radical feminist circles.

Most self destructive agendas have selfishness as it's core, and most special interests share this fundamental theme. And selfishness ultimately results in self defeat ... always has, always will.

That is the point of the OP.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:00 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,049 times
You can spell it out for them all day long, but they won't ever accept that feminism is not about men. At the end of the day, just continue to take pride in being a woman who can make her own life choices and doesn't have to get a stamp of male approval before living her life. And also remember that there are plenty of enlightened and educated men without insecurities who are supportive of gender equality. These are real men, who take responsibility for their own sense of masculinity and don't point the finger at feminism, claiming that it's taking anything from them.
No amount of whining from the peanut gallery or "you aren't really happy" poison in our ears can halt our progress toward equality.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:05 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
With Hillary Clinton and Loreena Bobbit as their top role models it's no wonder feminists aren't happy.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:13 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
With Hillary Clinton and Loreena Bobbit as their top role models it's no wonder feminists aren't happy.
I dont know a single woman who would list Lorena Bobbit as a role model... Hilary Clinton on the other hand does have some admirable traits, but since I have a different path and different goals I don't list her as one of my role models.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies