Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 09:17 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Apparently there is some secret jobs tree that conservatives know about from which all these people will miraculously find jobs.
There are alot of jobs available, just not suitable applicants. A friend of mine who owns a small manufacturing facility has two job openings, but says that most of the applicants have either failed drug testing or are not able to perform simple math skills to be able to perform the job. My brother in law, who is a machinist, says the same thing.

Want more jobs?

1. Change the corporate tax policy of the US
2. Cut buisness restrictions
3. limit class action suits
4. Expand domestic energy exploration and development of alternative fuel sources to make energy cheaper for buisnesses.
5. Renegotiate NAFTA and ban China most favored nation trade status

In short, reverse the policies of liberalism which have shackled buisness and sent them packing overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 09:23 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Call it what you want, but financial literacy in America is in short supply. Students are leaving college in debt with thousands of dollars piled on high-interest credit cards, student loan defaults are ticking upward, and nearly 75% of all boomers don't have enough to retire. I have no idea where it's going to end.
There is no need to call anything. I simply questioned "common sense". As for student leaving colleges in debt, and people not having enough to retire, such issues weren't much of an issue until last three decades or so. We're becoming more reliant on corporations, and consequently, they are governing us, and mostly through the government they pay for. Why wouldn't people be getting poorer, with rising debt?

Old 05-09-2011, 12:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Just like it says. Read a great deal regarding Welfare and Public Assistance abuse. Same with Social Security disability. Unemployment extensions are unlikely to occur with the Republican Congress. What shall we see if strict budgeting comes out of D.C. in the next few months to restrict the above programs. This is a case of actions having consequences which are not expected.

Shall we see:

1. Dispossesion of families?
2. Increased crime rate
3. Reverse immigration of illegals?
4. Increased work ethic among those refusing low paying work due to the net gain from public assistance compared to working low wage employment?
5. Starvation in the streets?
6. Other.
No one would starve, if nothing else private donations would help with the problem just like in the days prior to total govenment give aways. I would like to think more people would work harder even if holding down min wage jobs and there certainly would be fewer illegals wanting to live here.

There will always be those who will not or can not work. I think Reagan put the number of those unemployable or unemployed at about 5.5%.

We will always have crime and some people will continue to comment whatever they have to so they won't need to go to work. In fact some prefer prison. It's a way to reduce any responsibility and be assured of a bed, 3 meals a day, some entertainment and companionship. Sounds strange I know.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No one would starve, if nothing else private donations would help with the problem just like in the days prior to total govenment give aways. I would like to think more people would work harder even if holding down min wage jobs and there certainly would be fewer illegals wanting to live here.

There will always be those who will not or can not work. I think Reagan put the number of those unemployable or unemployed at about 5.5%.

We will always have crime and some people will continue to comment whatever they have to so they won't need to go to work. In fact some prefer prison. It's a way to reduce any responsibility and be assured of a bed, 3 meals a day, some entertainment and companionship. Sounds strange I know.
The reason the government "giveaways" as you call them, started, is that private donations weren't keeping up with the need. Look upthread to the link about "orphan trains". That's what people did with their kids when they got desperate. I don't know how Reagan, who had no particular background in such issues, could come up with such a statistic.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Those jobs are filled now, the only difference is the illegals would be replaced with legals.
They are not all filled, I see ads in the paper everyday. Maybe in some locations, but jobs are out there. A positive attitude, clean cut, clean shaven, tatoos somewhat hidden, decent resume even without a lot of work experience, good work record and postive references will get most a job, bad attitude, whiney, less then good appearance and no decent references will not get anyone a job, especially in this work enviorment. Even if there are 50 applicants for every burger flipping job, someone will get it. That person will be the one that impressed someone. For those who can't find jobs, maybe a class in job interviewing or job preparation is in line.

NIta

Old 05-09-2011, 12:29 PM

There are still more people looking than there are jobs to be had. Until that changes, UE will remain high. I think there will always be some people who are chronically unemployable, too, sadly.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:31 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Yes, millions of American's are underemployed, but millions more could be underemployed if they'd just agree to do so. Right now the government is propping up the underemployed all because many American's have oversized egos and too little humility. Illegals take up a good share of those jobs, but there are still jobs to had.
Money given to those on the dole is really a reward to the business class who enjoys their ill gotten customer base with those gubmint bucks in their pockets. This simple equation of government dollars being a boon to business is often the most overlooked and underestimated facet of welfare, if those dollars were blue we'd see where it goes, lots of blue money in the tills at Walmart, grocery stores, bars etc.........

Old 05-09-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The reason the government "giveaways" as you call them, started, is that private donations weren't keeping up with the need. Look upthread to the link about "orphan trains". That's what people did with their kids when they got desperate. I don't know how Reagan, who had no particular background in such issues, could come up with such a statistic.
Maybe he had good advisers. I am sure you wouldn't argue with the 5% would you?

No one is saying to government handouts, you know that and no one would propose such a thing, but strictly policies absolutely have to be put in place. When a person is better off on welfare than working for min wage or slightly higher something is wrong.

Nita

Old 05-09-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Maybe he had good advisers. I am sure you wouldn't argue with the 5% would you?

No one is saying to government handouts, you know that and no one would propose such a thing, but strictly policies absolutely have to be put in place. When a person is better off on welfare than working for min wage or slightly higher something is wrong.

Nita
"Unemployable" might be lower. The number unemployed depends on the economy. For all the talk of people not wanting to work, UE goes down when the economy improves.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:38 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Yes, millions of American's are underemployed, but millions more could be underemployed if they'd just agree to do so. Right now the government is propping up the underemployed all because many American's have oversized egos and too little humility. Illegals take up a good share of those jobs, but there are still jobs to had.
but there are still jobs to had.[/quote]

Are they jobs a family can live on? Would you be able to survive or live on one of these jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies