Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 04:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
How in the world do you think parents fed their kids during the past, including the Great Depression. If you can't feed 'em, don't have 'em! And I would remind you that "BEFORE" government fed kids, their brains worked fine. Some of our greatest inventions and advances came from those "brains" that parents had to feed!

If we get the da** government nanny state out of our lives, people will once again take responsibility for themselves instead of "letting someone else shoulder their responsibilities and pay their bills!"
Maybe they think the lunch program started with George Washington and is as old as the US.

1946 is when it started..lunch
1966 is when breakfast started..and it started because the rural kids had to leave so early in the morning to ride the bus they didn't have time for breakfast. It had nothing to do with poverty.
1968 is when free breakfast/lunch/snack over the summer started.

One should not talk about child obesity on one hand while also worried about child starvation on the other.

You can't have fat, starving kids can you ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 05:02 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
A truly sad day in America...no more "chocolate milk" at school.
The "War on Obesity" taking HFCS food out..one carton at a time

They will have a fight though..over 70% of milk consumed in schools is of the flavored type.

Schools may ban chocolate milk over added sugar - USATODAY.com
"Los Angeles Unified, the nation's second-largest school district, is the latest district to tackle the issue. Superintendent John Deasy recently announced he would push this summer to remove chocolate and strawberry milk from school menus."
Funny chocolate milk NEVER made me fat. I was underweight until I was around 11 years old and that is drinking chocolate milk daily at home and in school.

Quote:
Maybe they think the lunch program started with George Washington and is as old as the US.

1966 is when breakfast started..and it started because the rural kids had to leave so early in the morning to ride the bus they didn't have time for breakfast. It had nothing to do with poverty.

One should not talk about child obesity on one hand while also worried about child starvation on the other.

Didn't all this school breakfast/lunch crap start because farms lobbied the USDA to have their product sold in schools?

Old 05-11-2011, 05:12 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
Why don't schools just serve kids water? It's so much healthier and inexpensive..

Old 05-11-2011, 05:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Funny chocolate milk NEVER made me fat. I was underweight until I was around 11 years old and that is drinking chocolate milk daily at home and in school.

Didn't all this school breakfast/lunch crap start because farms lobbied the USDA to have their product sold in schools?
It started out as a true concern for growing kids but has such turned into a big farming lobby effort.

The History of the School Lunch Program - Education Bug
"President Harry S. Truman began the national school lunch program in 1946 as a measure of national security. He did so after reading a study that revealed many young men had been rejected from the World War II draft due to medical conditions caused by childhood malnutrition."

Old 05-11-2011, 06:02 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:

We had to be on the field for practice by 6:00AM and I was still responsible for my own breakfast.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
It started out as a true concern for growing kids but has such turned into a big farming lobby effort.

The History of the School Lunch Program - Education Bug
"President Harry S. Truman began the national school lunch program in 1946 as a measure of national security. He did so after reading a study that revealed many young men had been rejected from the World War II draft due to medical conditions caused by childhood malnutrition."
Your article has a bit of bias to it. The school lunch program was started for the dual purpose of 1) propping up food prices for farmers and 2) providing food for school kids.

National School Lunch Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdenutrit.../pdf/SEC26.pdf

Old 05-11-2011, 09:10 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
I never understood why at school they gave us pizza, fries, burgers, chicken and more with milk. That's nasty.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:26 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
While I agree with this in theory, what about those kids who won't get food otherwise, if it weren't for free/reduced lunch? Considering there are 4 or 5 schools in my district with over 80% of kids on free lunch, I'd have a really, really hard time saying "sorry Johnny..you can't eat lunch today since your parents can't afford it.."
What about food stamps? We are already feeding hungry kids through WIC, I don't get the need for free lunch on top of that. Why can't the parents make a sandwich?

Old 05-11-2011, 09:27 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Good grr-ief! The School Lunch Program is a Department of Agriculture program, designed to help farmers. I have posted so many links abou this I'm going to tell you to do a search.
Perfect, we can eliminate school lunches and get rid of even more waste....i.e., the Dept. of Agriculture.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:38 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
A truly sad day in America...no more "chocolate milk" at school.
The "War on Obesity" taking HFCS food out..one carton at a time

They will have a fight though..over 70% of milk consumed in schools is of the flavored type.

Schools may ban chocolate milk over added sugar - USATODAY.com
"Los Angeles Unified, the nation's second-largest school district, is the latest district to tackle the issue. Superintendent John Deasy recently announced he would push this summer to remove chocolate and strawberry milk from school menus."
They shouldn't be FORCING kids to drink ANY milk. Contrary to what the American Dairy Growers Assn says Milk is NOT a health food. It's purpose to help baby calfs grow to become 1200 pound cows in 6 months time.

It is not only fattening for kids but it creates mucous which creates a lot of the childhood illnesses, earaches, allergies, asthma, constipation and more! For women who drink it because they think it is a good source of calcium, actually the protein from the milk leaches existing calcium out of your bones. You get a lot more calcieum from eating dark green leafy veggies.

They should have plain milk available if kids want it and clean filtered water (free of fluoride) and maybe apple juice, orange juice or tomato juice and that is IT. When I was in school, nothing other than those things were available unless you brought it from home. There were no soda machines or candy machines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies