Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 06:21 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times

Advertisements

Bush Sr. was made fun off quite a bit, look up the incident with the Japanese ambassador if you do not believe me. Tons of comedy skits based on that. Reagan had it pretty bad too, there was a video of him having too much fun in a golf cart that he become the butt end of jokes over. Plus, there was a lot of ideological drama shortly after he won election. Seems like every left winger in the nation collectively shat a chicken and starting fabricating doomsday scenarios 24/7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 06:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
My earliest political memories are from the Reagan era, and I can assure you it went on then as well. Reagan was personally blamed for the AIDs crisis, homelessness and a litany of other ills & issues.
I can assure you the dislike of Reagan goes back further than his presidency.

OP: Study history. Every president has had his detractors.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:23 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
My earliest political memories are from the Reagan era, and I can assure you it went on then as well. Reagan was personally blamed for the AIDs crisis, homelessness and a litany of other ills & issues.
Yes, it was really bad then. They called him Ronald "Ray-Guns" and assumed he would get into a nuclear war with the Soviets because he wouldn't kiss their butt and "that would kill us all in a nuclear Armageddon". Kids on college campus's were celebrating the assasination attempt. They said he was stupid and a bad actor and therefore would be a horrible President. There was nothing, I mean nothing, that he ever did that they didn't curse him roundly for. The venom used to drip from their mouths. Just fanatical hatred. Kind of scary at the time.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:29 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I would say Nixon who disgraced the Office of the President with what he did.
I would second that opinion. Nixon became an obvious excuse to disrespect the office. Whenever a POTUS does not seem worthy, it is something that we revert to. Combined with extreme partisanship in these times and you get what we have now.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:31 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,126 times
It started with John Adams and his critics.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:43 PM

27,131 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Gerald "Foster"?

Wasn't he the predecessor to Chevy Chase in the office?

Old 05-09-2011, 09:56 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
Online wise, it started with President Clinton. Full force lies and hatred from the other side. And when GWBush was president, it was his turn...and when republicans whined about it, I would remind them that we learned from the best. We learned from republicans.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:59 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Online wise, it started with President Clinton. Full force lies and hatred from the other side. And when GWBush was president, it was his turn...and when republicans whined about it, I would remind them that we learned from the best. We learned from republicans.
Mainly because not that many people were online when George H.W. Bush was president.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:57 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,273,608 times
I think Clinton was the one to cause Americans to lose all pretense of respect for the Presidency. Heck, you didn't even have to know anything about politics or government to know what he did was inexcusable - and yet he was excused. And the bar was lowered.

Even Nixon could rationalize things to say he felt he was doing it for the good of the country; while Clinton's only excuse was that it felt good!

Old 05-09-2011, 11:30 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Have read and listened to viscious bashing of the President since about the early 1990s when Clinton was in office. Began in the very beginning with the White House Travel Office scandal and proceeded from there. Although I do note the withdrawl from Somalia was agreed to after the battle of Mogadishu (Black Hawk Down) episode.

Does it go further into the past than that era?

I do not recall this with Ronald Reagan even with the Iran-Contra Hearings or Jimmy Carter with the killer rabbit, Iran Mission Failure, or Playboy interview. Folks made pleasant fun of presidential foibles as in Gerald Foster stumbling here-there but no attempt was made to make the man incompetent for office or unpatriotic as it is now. It makes it appear as if disregarding the President is patriotic and the President's actions are malevolent to the USA.
Yep, it was then for me that, I lost respect for the office, when the commander and chief could get what he got in the oval office, and not receive a court martial for it. Let a General try that and see what happens or is infidelity an acceptable norm now, from the general public?

I guess I expected more from the American people, and I certainly expect more from our President. Just goes to show a person, expecting and getting what one expects are two entirely different things, with disappointment the end result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies