Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:06 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
This is pretty shocking.

THE PRICE OF COLLEGE: $23,000 Of Debt At Graduation

Liberals are always talking about the value of a college education, when they fail to realize that for many majors, (generally the majors most leftists major in like art, philosophy, gender studies, basket weaving, protesting), there is absolutely no value.

Want to be an electrician? Go right ahead, but first, you better get a 4-year degree or else you're a loser. Just major in history....or er um something, by the way, here's 23,000 of debt.

If everyone get's a bachelor's degree, then they aren't really unique anymore are they?

I have no issue with encouraging some form of post-secondary education, but is a 4-year university the only type that's worthwhile?
Where are you getting your information.
I don't care what anyone does for their education, and I'm as liberal as the day is long.
Talk about trolling and using a broad brush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
Its a scam , like global warming.

If your going to be a doctor or nurse good , go . Lawyer , sure .
We had better art before we gave degrees in art ,no ?
Do you notice the "grads" didn't read the small print on their mortgage and lost the house?
One of my degrees is liberal arts & education.
Not only do I own two houses outright, I'm looking at a third.

You were saying....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 01:11 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
"Why do liberals want everyone to go to college?"
Who said that they do?

Quote:
This is pretty shocking.

Liberals are always talking about the value of a college education, when they fail to realize that for many majors, (generally the majors most leftists major in like art, philosophy, gender studies, basket weaving, protesting), there is absolutely no value.

Want to be an electrician? Go right ahead, but first, you better get a 4-year degree or else you're a loser. Just major in history....or er um something, by the way, here's 23,000 of debt.

If everyone get's a bachelor's degree, then they aren't really unique anymore are they?

I have no issue with encouraging some form of post-secondary education, but is a 4-year university the only type that's worthwhile?
This is what's called a straw man argument, you make up stuff that you attribute to the other side and then argue against that made-up argument.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:19 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
This is pretty shocking.

I actually agree with you that not everyone needs to go to college. I have friends who went to college for 4 years, managed to get a communications or psychology degree while spending most of their time partying and then ended up just working as a landscape contractor or working at a manager at the family business. Which didn't require a bachelor degree or the associated student loan debts.

Although from my experience it's more of a class thing than a liberal vs. conservative thing. College educated parents from middle class or upper middle class parents expect their kids to go to college for the most part. There's a staus thing in going to college. It's also because in some ways a bachelor degree has been required for a lot of entry level positions. Also that a lot of the high school education in this country is so poor, that a lot of state colleges end up teaching math, english, and history classes that should have been learnt before college.

But I work with some highly skilled programmers, some of which don't actually have a 4-year degree or just have a few technical certifications.

Quote:
Oh man, basket weaving as a major--hilarious... I think that joke was still funny the first time I saw it in a dog-eared Mad Magazine from 1972 making fun of hippies. Actually art as a major can be useful, as in that I've worked with succesful art majors who work in marketing or as art directors. Although on the other hand you could say religious studies could be considered of absolutely no use as well.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:21 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
This is pretty shocking.

Because it is so much easier to get things done in society if we don't have to waste time and money placating ignorant trogs.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:22 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Default Why do liberals want everyone to go to college?

Educated idiots are more disgusting than organic idiots.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:23 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
"Why do liberals want everyone to go to college?"
Who said that they do?

This is what's called a straw man argument, you make up stuff that you attribute to the other side and then argue against that made-up argument.
I'll go on a cross country road trip and poll all 308 million Americans to see if they're liberal and if they want everyone to go to college then. Point being liberals generally want free health care, free college education, free housing for those who cannot afford it, etc. it's not called a straw man argument, it's called a generalization.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:25 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I'm fairly liberal and I don't think that way at all. In fact, I think for many high school grads it's a waste. But what else are they supposed to do? That's the problem.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:26 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
And one must wonder, what is so much more appealing for a business to establish a presence in countries like China and India, as opposed to Ethiopia and Somalia where labor has to be a lot cheaper?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:27 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,898,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
In the IT field, degrees mean nothing. Certifications are everything.

Only if you want to stay mid-level or lower. To really move up you need Certifications, and a degree. I have seen too many people hit glass ceilings in IT because of there lack of a degree and nothing to do with their skills.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:28 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Do you have any evidence that "liberals want everyone to go to college" or is this just you gut feeling?
Yeah, how is this a "liberals" issue? It seems that there are a lot of conservatives who extol the virtues of a college education as well, especially if they are college educated themselves.

If your point is generally that a blue collar job is just as good as a white collar job, I agree with you. The problem is, there aren't as many good paying blue collar jobs as there used to be.

College isn't -- and shouldn't be -- for everyone. Technical colleges should be held in just as high of regard as 4 year universities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies