Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:30 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You shot your wad.
At least I had a wad to shoot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 08:30 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Liberals, do generally, believe in social equality, thus push for programs that can prepare today's youth in an ever changing global economy where skill is needed beyond secondary instruction.
Indeed. Having gutted sacrificed mathematics, foreign languages, and meaningful history and English language studies to classes in self-fulfillment, sociology, and absurd gender and egalitarian fluff masquerading as civics, and secondary instruction in general, to the extent that a significant percentage of university freshmen are unable to compose a simple sentence, the progressives, having brought us all to worship at their altar of social equality, are depending on tertiary education to make up for the wasted years at the hands of public schools.

Conservatives confuse privilege with excellence. Liberals confuse equal opportunity with equal outcomes. Our society's educational system -- primary, secondary, and tertiary -- is in peril as a result.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:37 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Our FF is why we have 'free' education k-12 today. College though, not so free and in many places, college tuition prices keep going up.
I'm well aware of both points; my son has almost finished paying off his student loans. The proposed increase in Pell Grants would help mitigate those costs. However, the questions posed in my post have gone unanswered. When was history completed, and who made the decision?

Old 05-11-2011, 08:40 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm
My wife and I have NO KIDS, but have to pay over $8500/year in property taxes that supposedly go to the "public schools". We should be able to apply the portion that funds the schools to go towards her college tuition since she is attending an in-state school (George Mason University).
The argument that people who don't use particular services shouldn't pay for them, is a tired argument. Perhaps if I don't own a car, I shouldn't have to pay road taxes. That means that there wouldn't be roads in rural areas because the houses are spread so far apart that the people there couldn't afford their road.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:04 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
This is pretty shocking.

THE PRICE OF COLLEGE: $23,000 Of Debt At Graduation

Liberals are always talking about the value of a college education, when they fail to realize that for many majors, (generally the majors most leftists major in like art, philosophy, gender studies, basket weaving, protesting), there is absolutely no value.

Want to be an electrician? Go right ahead, but first, you better get a 4-year degree or else you're a loser. Just major in history....or er um something, by the way, here's 23,000 of debt.

If everyone get's a bachelor's degree, then they aren't really unique anymore are they?

I have no issue with encouraging some form of post-secondary education, but is a 4-year university the only type that's worthwhile?
Save your money I say. Educations in college are NOT what they used to be. Evidently they are accepting kids at Ivy League schools who can barely put simple sentences together yet the tuitions are 12x what they were when I was in college. The graduates who finish 4 years of undergraduate school certainly aren't 12 times better educated. In fact most of them aren't even AS educated as most high school graduates back in the 70's. It is all part of the intentional dumbing down of America. http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/

The reason tuitions have gone up is because of the government backed student loans that started in 1985. This graph from the link below shows the increases of student loans being taken out beginning in 1985 :

history of government backed student loans - Google Search

Look at the correlation of how Tuitions have risen since 1985 when the government started to guarantee student loans history of college tuition increases - Google Search+

If you have some money for an education, you'd be better off finding an employer and offering to work for free as an apprentice so you can learn the business for a year or so and use your money for living expenses. Then after a year or two or certainly after 4 years of doing this you are FAR more desirable to an employer with your work experience than you would be had you gone to college and gotten a liberal arts degree or even a business degree for that matter. Chances are after working there for 6 months, you'd have proven yourself and you'd be on the payroll by then anyway.

Last edited by emilybh; 05-11-2011 at 09:13 PM..

Old 05-11-2011, 09:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Save your money I say. Educations in college are NOT what they used to be. Evidently they are accepting kids at Ivy League schools who can barely put simple sentences together yet the tuitions are 12x what they were when I was in college. The graduates who finish 4 years of undergraduate school certainly aren't 12 times better educated. In fact most of them aren't even AS educated as most high school graduates back in the 70's. It is all part of the intentional dumbing down of America. http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/

The reason tuitions have gone up is because of the government backed student loans that started in 1985. This graph from the link below shows the increases of student loans being taken out beginning in 1985 :

history of government backed student loans - Google Search

Look at the correlation of how Tuitions have risen since 1985 when the government started to guarantee student loans history of college tuition increases - Google Search+
You're a few decades late.

Federal Student Loan Programs - History | FEBP

The federal government began guaranteeing student loans provided by banks and non-profit lenders in 1965, creating the program that is now called the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) program. The first federal student loans, however, provided under the National Defense Education Act of 1958, were direct loans capitalized with U.S. Treasury funds, following a recommendation of economist Milton Friedman.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:12 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Indeed. Having gutted sacrificed mathematics, foreign languages, and meaningful history and English language studies to classes in self-fulfillment, sociology, and absurd gender and egalitarian fluff masquerading as civics, and secondary instruction in general, to the extent that a significant percentage of university freshmen are unable to compose a simple sentence, the progressives, having brought us all to worship at their altar of social equality, are depending on tertiary education to make up for the wasted years at the hands of public schools.

Conservatives confuse privilege with excellence. Liberals confuse equal opportunity with equal outcomes. Our society's educational system -- primary, secondary, and tertiary -- is in peril as a result.
This utterly ridiculous. Where do I begin. Okay, so liberals are not gutting mathematics etc. In fact, scientists and mathematicians are more likely to be liberal than conservative (imagine that). Liberals are more likely to not teach intelligent design in the classroom (since this is not science). Conservatives are more likely to have revisionist histories in which both sides are not taught (one notable example was the whole idea in Texas that we should de-emphasize slavery in textbooks). Emphasizing equality in addition to science, math, languages, etc. is pretty much the ideal. Which is what most liberals desire.

The whole notion that liberals are against education and are for fluff falls apart when you look at funding, textbook selection, curriculum development, and which people describe themselves as liberals.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:16 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Ok well if you look at the numbers you'll see that beginning in the 80's a lot more student loans begain being handed out and as they were schools decided to hike their tuitions. The bottom line is that they don't help anyone get a better job or even a job. So for lots of people it is a big fat waste of money.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
K-12 is dumbed down so that everyone who stays in school does graduate.
They may be functionally illiterate but they graduate.

So now we have to get them all 4 year degrees. But college is hard, remedial classes in college even harder.

So now the push is on..get them the money to go to college and then start working on dumbing down that curriculum so that everyone can continue to be a winner.

It's starting to work at the Community College level because that is open enrollment.
I've taken classes at the CC where 20 at the beginning of the semester turned into 5 (Calculus I).
The 5 that were left were all adults returning to school. The "kids" fresh out of HS dropped like flies.
To get into that class required HS pre-calc or the college placement test.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Ok well if you look at the numbers you'll see that beginning in the 80's a lot more student loans begain being handed out and as they were schools decided to hike their tuitions. The bottom line is that they don't help anyone get a better job or even a job. So for lots of people it is a big fat waste of money.
Loans became more prevalent b/c of a shift in the philosophy of financial aid from grants to loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies