Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 02:29 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times

Advertisements

There are a great many high school career counselors and public school teachers who regularly push their students towards college even if that student isn't college material. In some cases, I think it comes from living in a myopic society of university graduates and so they don't have a clue what else is available. Some are academic snobs who look down upon those without a degree even if they have a job that pays much more than a public school teacher. A fine example of this type includes Al Gore and Stephen King who both insinuated that if your dumb then you go to the military. There are many well paid trade positions that don't require a degree. This reminds me of a scene in "The Big Bang Theory". Their car broke down and Leonard asked "does anyone know how an internal combustion engine works?" all the professors in the car began acknowledging the simplicity of the engine. Leonard stopped them and asked, "better question, does anyone here know how to fix an internal combustion engine?" not a one would say yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 02:35 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
This is city-data.com, so all threads have to begin with some ridiculous question that places gross generalizations on one side of the political spectrum.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:36 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
There are many well paid trade positions that don't require a degree.
For guys, I agree. My husband is an electrician and attended 5 years of apprenticeship school to get where he is. Well paid and great benefits.

My daughter *probably* does not belong in college. She is a girly-girl so the steamfitters are out. What trade do you suggest for her? Hairstylist, nail tech? What well paying trade is out there for women? Not many. And I ask this in all seriousness because we are looking.

Right now she's pursuing her bachelor's degree so that, hopefully, she can get a job as an admin person in an office to start. That's what it takes around here. A bachelor's degree to answer the freaking phone. Stupid.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:37 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
So the Question was "Why do LIBERALS want.............." , turns out they don't.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:43 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
There are a great many high school career counselors and public school teachers who regularly push their students towards college even if that student isn't college material. In some cases, I think it comes from living in a myopic society of university graduates and so they don't have a clue what else is available. Some are academic snobs who look down upon those without a degree even if they have a job that pays much more than a public school teacher. A fine example of this type includes Al Gore and Stephen King who both insinuated that if your dumb then you go to the military. There are many well paid trade positions that don't require a degree. This reminds me of a scene in "The Big Bang Theory". Their car broke down and Leonard asked "does anyone know how an internal combustion engine works?" all the professors in the car began acknowledging the simplicity of the engine. Leonard stopped them and asked, "better question, does anyone here know how to fix an internal combustion engine?" not a one would say yes.
Higher education is not meant to guarantee anything but that an individual will gain prominence over others with all else being equal. I come from a family of medical doctors, an exception who ended up being an engineer with a master’s degree in robotics and a master’s degree in business administration. Likewise, my sister was expected to be a doctor, and she was struggling in school to excel. She ended up going farther than I with a master’s degree and a doctorate in English literature (and excellence in language is not my strength). So yes, we’re all quite different and not all may appear to be higher education material.

Now, one of my colleagues wasn’t even a high school graduate. When my company started laying-off people a few years ago, he got worried, and rightfully so. His opportunities in the same field would have been limited, considering the competition and academic qualifications. Fortunately, his wife came to his rescue and he’s working towards becoming a master electrician, two more years to go.

This is one of the instances that proves to me that Americans can no longer continue to dismiss higher education. With shrinking opportunities, academic qualifications will matter more. This may be a bit harder for old folks to realize, but we’re heading where a lot of developed countries and a few developing countries already are. Countries like China, India and Germany recognize the importance of education. We used to, not too long ago, and made for an attractive destination to scientists, doctors and engineers from around the globe.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Is basket weaving really a major?
I doubt it. It may be part of an art major.

Quote:
Just who is to decide who is and is not "college material"? I think any high school student who isn't in special education classes for developmentally disabled people can handle college, at least at the Community College level. Most vocational courses have gone over to the CCs from trade schools.

I'm sick of hearing about these supposedly "dumb" professors. My DH has a PhD in physics, and he can fix an engine. I know plenty of high school grads who cannot.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:48 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
This is city-data.com, so all threads have to begin with some ridiculous question that places gross generalizations on one side of the political spectrum.
Ah I understand. You were using the Sen. Kyl technique. Your assertion was "not intended to be a factual statement."

Old 05-09-2011, 02:49 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So, other people paid your way.
You wouldn't believe the amount of time I spent filling out scholarship and grant applications... Searching for them, writing essays, and participating in interviews to get that money. Money that was mostly donated by foundations, individuals or families. So yea, others paid for my education, but I worked my butt off and I'd like to think I earned it.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:51 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
For guys, I agree. My husband is an electrician and attended 5 years of apprenticeship school to get where he is. Well paid and great benefits.

My daughter *probably* does not belong in college. She is a girly-girl so the steamfitters are out. What trade do you suggest for her? Hairstylist, nail tech? What well paying trade is out there for women? Not many. And I ask this in all seriousness because we are looking.

Right now she's pursuing her bachelor's degree so that, hopefully, she can get a job as an admin person in an office to start. That's what it takes around here. A bachelor's degree to answer the freaking phone. Stupid.
We have an HVAC control system contractor who installs, repairs, and writes new software for our hospital's system. They have women working for them. I've seen women welders, electricians, plumbers, and other traditionally men only jobs.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:51 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

I'm sick of hearing about these supposedly "dumb" professors. My DH has a PhD in physics, and he can fix an engine. I know plenty of high school grads who cannot.
It's a myth perpetuated by dumb people so they can feel better about themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies