Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 12:44 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,906,027 times

Advertisements

This is pretty shocking.

THE PRICE OF COLLEGE: $23,000 Of Debt At Graduation

Liberals are always talking about the value of a college education, when they fail to realize that for many majors, (generally the majors most leftists major in like art, philosophy, gender studies, basket weaving, protesting), there is absolutely no value.

Want to be an electrician? Go right ahead, but first, you better get a 4-year degree or else you're a loser. Just major in history....or er um something, by the way, here's 23,000 of debt.

If everyone get's a bachelor's degree, then they aren't really unique anymore are they?

I have no issue with encouraging some form of post-secondary education, but is a 4-year university the only type that's worthwhile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 12:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
Eventually we'll all become a nation of PhD's and can call each other "Dr.".
Only it won't mean much if your a Dr of Burger Flipping or a Dr of Lawncare.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:49 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,685,599 times
It isn't what you know that gets you work. It is who you know.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:51 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,321,370 times
The most important and interesting things I learned during my debt-free college education had nothing to do with my major or chosen career field.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,685,599 times
I know many here in Austin, with law degrees, that couldn't litigate a paper cut case, yet they now make a good living in sales.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:57 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,001,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
This is pretty shocking.

Liberals are always talking about the value of a college education, when they fail to realize that for many majors, (generally the majors most leftists major in like art, philosophy, gender studies, basket weaving, protesting), there is absolutely no value.

Want to be an electrician? Go right ahead, but first, you better get a 4-year degree or else you're a loser. Just major in history....or er um something, by the way, here's 23,000 of debt.

If everyone get's a bachelor's degree, then they aren't really unique anymore are they?

I have no issue with encouraging some form of post-secondary education, but is a 4-year university the only type that's worthwhile?
No it's not! I am not a classroom guy. Intelligent yes. I do however plan on going back to school for meteorology, but weather is something I have always been fascinated with! The funny thing is I inquired through a bunch of universities that offer online classes, and not one of them (except for one) offered a program for meteorology. I told them all right off the bat, that if you can't help me, then I don't want to waste their time, because going to school for the sake of it for a business degree is a waste of my time as well! Needless to say they're still emailing me, and blowing up my cell phone trying to recruit me. I think we need more schools exclusive to a trade. Yes they're out there, but let's face it, college is an investment! A lot of folks with degrees are not even in the field that they received their degree in. Why not offer more solutions where you get a greater return on investment, and therefore not having to pay thousands upon thousands of dollars of debt for several years?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:01 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,647,275 times
If you do it right, college shouldn't cost that much... I have 3 degrees and I think I've collectively spent $5000 dollars total. Between financial aid, scholarships and grants, going to college is fairly inexpensive if you do it right.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:02 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,199,464 times
Its a scam , like global warming.

If your going to be a doctor or nurse good , go . Lawyer , sure .
We had better art before we gave degrees in art ,no ?
Do you notice the "grads" didn't read the small print on their mortgage and lost the house?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:02 PM

4,301 posts, read 4,413,296 times
In the IT field, degrees mean nothing. Certifications are everything.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:05 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,850,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
This is pretty shocking.

Do you have any evidence that "liberals want everyone to go to college" or is this just you gut feeling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies