Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it odd that those who rail the most against those who don't speak English seem to have the worst
Yes, it is odd 14 35.90%
No, it makes perfect sense 25 64.10%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 09:31 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times

Advertisements

i comes from mexico. i wanta worky worky in the usa, i will worky worky reala cheapa. me wifa just hada an anchor baba, we be lika two peas in a poda,, canta waita till me wifa dropsa another anchor baba, we lova childrena whant to have big fimila and soka some big welfara to get big ana fata
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 09:39 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,545,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Is it odd that those who rail the most against those who don't speak English seem to have the worst English grammar?
This is a silly straw man argument!!

At least we can still understand the person with bad grammar!

I be needing help! or "Yo tener que ayudar" ?????

Even with the bad grammar, you know the first one is a request for aid!!

Learn the frikkin' language of the land!!

Old 05-10-2011, 09:45 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Is it odd that those who rail the most against those who don't speak English seem to have the worst English grammar?

who cares?

Old 05-10-2011, 10:52 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
To quote another example, "Keep the government out of my medicare" made for a funny slogan. The person holding it would come across as incredibly foolish, but not as someone lacking credibility as a person and his/her opposition to something.
I don't usually associate a high level of credibility with people who appear very foolish. In this specific case the person clearly does not fully understand the issue(s) being protested - both foolish and lacking credibility.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:24 PM

950 posts, read 1,515,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i comes from mexico. i wanta worky worky in the usa, i will worky worky reala cheapa. me wifa just hada an anchor baba, we be lika two peas in a poda,, canta waita till me wifa dropsa another anchor baba, we lova childrena whant to have big fimila and soka some big welfara to get big ana fata
Welcalm tu yack in da box, mae I take choo ordah ? Woo choo like flies with that ?

Old 05-10-2011, 02:48 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Like saying, "I know my posts aren't always completely grammatical, mostly..." when it should be "I know my posts aren't always completely grammatically correct, mostly...."
I forgot to add: "grammatical" is an adjective (a word that modifies a noun, like the word "posts" for example) that means "well-formed; in accordance with the productive rules of the grammar of a language" (New Oxford American Dictionary). In other words, the word "grammatical" means "grammatically correct."

Again I don't generally make it my habit to go around policing people's grammar, but those who do should make sure to be correcting actual errors.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:54 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"English" is used twice.

It's repetitive.

"Is it odd that those who rail the most against those who don't speak English seem to have the worst English grammar?"
"English" is being used twice to emphasize the fact that the language English-only proponents impose on other people is the very same language whose grammar they don't seem to be able to master.

That said, language isn't only about grammar. It's also about style.

A: "The blind leading themselves."

B: "The blind leading the blind."

Which gives a better idea of the meaning in that phrase? A or B?

Old 05-10-2011, 05:14 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
This is a silly straw man argument!!

At least we can still understand the person with bad grammar!

I be needing help! or "Yo tener que ayudar" ?????

Even with the bad grammar, you know the first one is a request for aid!!

Learn the frikkin' language of the land!!
I think that's the entire point of the thread. How can an illiterate person slam immigrants for not mastering the English language. Everyone in the US should learn English, but I can see how a recent arrival would have difficulty, there is no excuse for someone who was born here, none.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:18 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"English" is used twice.

It's repetitive.

"Is it odd that those who rail the most against those who don't speak English seem to have the worst English grammar?"
Tell that to Shakespeare

"Loss of virginity is rational increase, and there was never virgin got till virginity was first lost. "

ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL

Old 05-10-2011, 05:20 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Tell that to Shakespeare

"Loss of virginity is rational increase, and there was never virgin got till virginity was first lost. "

ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL
Yes, because we all use Elizabethan English these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies