Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 04:05 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I hope all of the police unions notice.
Some have. And I wish this was making bigger news. If I were any person running against O in 2012, this is one of MANY things I would put in a campaign ad.

"President Obama and Michelle invite vulgar wanna be poet to WH to honor him. This "poet" has honored cop killers in one of his songs as well as named his daughter after him. Even knowing this, the O's thought the honor of Common was deserving"

Old 05-11-2011, 04:13 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,458 times
I can certainly understand the outrage of the New Jersey Police when they heard that a rapper who supports convicted cop killers is being honored at the White House as well as being used as a model to teach our children. (Teach our children what?)

I have heard that not only does Common, who is being honored at the WH, sing songs of praise to a woman who has been identified as a Domestic Terrorist by the FBI; Common reportedly named his daughter after this same terrorist. He also apparently is a supporter of the convicted cop killer, Mumia Abul - Jamal. (Remember Obama's Green Czar, Van Jones? He's another supporter of Abul - Jamal.) Looks like a pattern...

NJ Cops "Outraged" Over WH Rapper Invite | NBC New York

"For New Jersey police, the outrage centers on "A Song for Assata" lyrics like "Your power and pride is beautiful. May God bless your soul."

"Shakur, formerly known as Joanne Chesimard, was convicted for the 1973 slaying of Trooper Werner Foerster on the New Jersey Turnpike. She escaped prison in 1979, and is living in asylum in Cuba."

"The young people who read this stuff, hear this stuff, are getting a very dangerous and deadly message," said David Jones, president of the State Troopers Fraternal Association union."

And this is what they want to teach our children.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:15 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Exactly. But lets be honest. I cant think of any other President that wouldve done the following:

1. Associated himself in ANY WAY with a man who bombed government buildings and whos group was responsible for the deaths of cops, and is proud of his actions to this day.
Did Reagan disassociate himself from Oliver North?

Although Reagan was not racist himself he did associate with racists.

While I have criticized Obama on many issues and maintain those criticisms, would you have felt better if Obama had attended Paul Shanley's church or John Geoghan's church rather than Wright's?

Old 05-11-2011, 04:18 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times
Quote:
Some have. And I wish this was making bigger news. If I were any person running against O in 2012, this is one of MANY things I would put in a campaign ad.

"President Obama and Michelle invite vulgar wanna be poet to WH to honor him. This "poet" has honored cop killers in one of his songs as well as named his daughter after him. Even knowing this, the O's thought the honor of Common was deserving"
The right tried that in 2008 with Rev. Wright and Bill Ayers, where did it get them?

Old 05-11-2011, 04:20 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Did Reagan disassociate himself from Oliver North?

Although Reagan was not racist himself he did associate with racists.

While I have criticized Obama on many issues and maintain those criticisms, would you have felt better if Obama had attended Paul Shanley's church or John Geoghan's church rather than Wright's?
I know little of whom Reagan associated himself with. After all, Im 31.

I wouldve felt better if he had better judgement, better associations. It doesnt take years to figure out what Wrights "church" was about. O connected with him and the church some how in some way. That sends flags up to me.

I just cant imagine why this is suppose to be okay. I could understand if they didnt know anything about this Common guy, but they have no excuse now, yet they are going along with it. That is just bad judgement and lacking in common sense.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:31 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
I wouldve felt better if he had better judgement, better associations. It doesnt take years to figure out what Wrights "church" was about. O connected with him and the church some how in some way. That sends flags up to me.
The reasons should be easy to guess. They were political.

Chicago politics is a blood sport and an outsider breaking into Chicago politics is so rare as to have been virtually unknown prior to Obama being able to break in. As an outsider from the West Coast he needed to have some base of political support inside Chicago. Wright's church gave him the political support he needed to start his political career, as Wright exercised considerable political influence on the South Side. Especially considering that Obama lost election to Congress in 2000 after being labelled as an oreo yuppie, he needed that base of support in order to hold office, which allowed him to move up to higher office.

I don't agree with Wright's views, and Obama probably doesn't either, but the political advantages of such an alliance are obvious. Just like how Reagan - who was not a racist - allied himself with racists like Jesse Helms to save his bid for the presidency. Just like how Al Gore, when running for the Dem nomination for president in 1988, let Fred Phelps work on his team in Topeka, even though Gore's not an antisemite. It's about influence.

That said while Wright is a whiner with a chip on his shoulder do you really think he's worse than Paul Shanley, John Geoghan, or Anthony O'Connell? (Don't know who they are? Look up their names on Google) I'd be more troubled if Obama had a close association with Shanley than with Wright.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:33 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
I can certainly understand the outrage of the New Jersey Police when they heard that a rapper who supports convicted cop killers is being honored at the White House as well as being used as a model to teach our children. (Teach our children what?)

I have heard that not only does Common, who is being honored at the WH, sing songs of praise to a woman who has been identified as a Domestic Terrorist by the FBI; Common reportedly named his daughter after this same terrorist. He also apparently is a supporter of the convicted cop killer, Mumia Abul - Jamal. (Remember Obama's Green Czar, Van Jones? He's another supporter of Abul - Jamal.) Looks like a pattern...

NJ Cops "Outraged" Over WH Rapper Invite | NBC New York

"For New Jersey police, the outrage centers on "A Song for Assata" lyrics like "Your power and pride is beautiful. May God bless your soul."

"Shakur, formerly known as Joanne Chesimard, was convicted for the 1973 slaying of Trooper Werner Foerster on the New Jersey Turnpike. She escaped prison in 1979, and is living in asylum in Cuba."

"The young people who read this stuff, hear this stuff, are getting a very dangerous and deadly message," said David Jones, president of the State Troopers Fraternal Association union."

And this is what they want to teach our children.
Whether or not Assatta was helping anyone to shoot a cop (which would earn her a conviction) is pretty questionable - there's no question that she didn't actually shoot anyone, since her fingerprints weren't on any weapon, there was no gunpowder residue on her hands, and it was shown that she had to have had her hands up when she was shot. First degree murder is a pretty far fetched charge as well, since there was no reason to think that they were out to kill a cop, much less any particular cop. That's pretty much the entire point of the song - that she was (according to her own account) treated inhumanely, and framed for a crime she didn't commit.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:24 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Yep. Teaching the young ones. Learn what?

"The White House says the first lady will also hold an afternoon workshop for students from across the country so they can learn from some of the night’s performers."

"And there is another poet whose works will be honored: as NH Journal points out, “One of the poets who will attend is Lonnie Rashid Lynn, Jr. who goes by the name ‘Common.’”

“Tell the law my Uzi weighs a ton … I hold up a peace sign but I carry a gun,” raps Common in one appearance that was posted onto YouTube. The performance, you’ll see, is full of racially-tinged language.

Obama to Honor Controversial Rapper Known for Cop-Killing, Misogynistic Lyrics | The Blaze
Didn't take Michelle Obama long to turn The White House into a ghetto. Sad.
This is pathetic that this rapper is being invited. Very sad to watch the U.S. turn into a third world country where thug culture is glorified.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:27 PM

760 posts, read 685,602 times
Is it time yet to go over the list of people invited to the White House by Bush, Jr.?

Old 05-11-2011, 05:29 PM

760 posts, read 685,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Didn't take Michelle Obama long to turn The White House into a ghetto. Sad.
This is pathetic that this rapper is being invited. Very sad to watch the U.S. turn into a third world country where thug culture is glorified.
Do you know who Easy E is? You'll need to speak to the first Bush in office about inviting rappers to the White House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies