Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 06:18 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
Is it time yet to go over the list of people invited to the White House by Bush, Jr.?
Anwar al-Awlaki, for one. Alleged Iranian spy Ahmed Chalabi. Moammar Gaddafi, who became "our buddy" again under Bush after having been viewed as an enemy by every US administration since Carter's. Pervez Musharraf, who was viewed as a "bad guy" under Clinton for his brutal dictatorship and backing of the Taliban (and Al Qaeda) prior to 9/11, but whose public turnabout after the WTC attacks made him a "good guy" - never mind that he almost assuredly had a major role in protecting Bin Laden.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:19 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
How sad to see the usual suspects continuing to defend this admin NO MATTER WHAT. the guy named his daughter after someone who executed a cop and some of you dopes support honoring this pos.
There is no evidence that Assata Shakur executed anyone. Under New Jersey Law she could be (and probably was) found guilty of murder for her mere presence at the scene.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:23 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
didn't realize we had a country where people who disrespected law enforcement and their families would be invited either.

obama is a public servant, supposed to serve all the people, not just himself and what he wants.

of course, he will probably just call the press in for another beer summit.
Maybe you should look into the good Common has done for his community, Obama is president
for ALL Americans not just the self righteous....

Old 05-11-2011, 06:26 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
As I've said before I didn't vote FOR Obama I voted AGAINST the GOP. Most Police and Firemen still feel the GOP knife between their shoulder blades. I will not vote Republican at any level period, if that means holding my nose and voting for someone else too bad.

Fraternal Order of Police Grand Lodge Home Page

Old 05-11-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Maybe you should look into the good Common has done for his community, Obama is president
As if it's unprecedented for showbiz personalities who've done charitable work and activism in the community to meet with the POTUS.

Common shouldn't be any more controversial than Bono or Willie Nelson. He's not only a rapper and actor but also a humanitarian.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Exactly. But lets be honest. I cant think of any other President that wouldve done the following:

1. Associated himself in ANY WAY with a man who bombed government buildings and whos group was responsible for the deaths of cops, and is proud of his actions to this day.

2. Allowed the Black Panthers to get away with intimidating voters, partially due to race.

3. On national television, stating he doesnt know the facts but a police dept acted stupidly.

4. Attended a black nationalist church. And I use the term "church" LOOSELY. This same "church" had Common singing. I mean seriously, you are suppose to be a Christian CHURCH, and you invite this foul mothed, cop killer honoring, wanna be poet, loving the n word rapper to sing to your congregation?!?!?!? There are no words for this utter ridiculousness.

5. Had word of O's location for how many months before finally giving in to someone else's insistence that its time to take him out??? You want to talk about a 3 am phone call? This clown got the phone call last August or so, and took months to make up his mind. Unbelievable. The Seals didnt need months to train and be ready.

It is people like those fools in here defending this that I fear for our future. We already know we have been on the downward spiral in our society but it's clear that spiral continues and shows no sign of reversing. It is simply mind boggling and disgusting that people will stand up and support this garbage Common, let alone support his honoring at the White House. I dont care what good words he has said, what good deeds, he is who he is. He has spoken the words he has spoken with no apologies. His daughter is named proudly after a cop executor. What else is there to say?
2) The would be New Black Panthers and no intimidated voter was ever identified.
3) Although he shouldn't have responded the police did act stupidly IMO. They arrested Gates after they knew it was his house.
4) Trinity United Church of Christ is not a Black Nationalist Church. Common's impromptu New Year's Eve performance was totally appropriate.
5) How many times have missions like this failed. There were all kinds of ways this could have gone wrong. Like what if that had gone and he wasn't there.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
As I've said before I didn't vote FOR Obama I voted AGAINST the GOP. Most Police and Firemen still feel the GOP knife between their shoulder blades. I will not vote Republican at any level period, if that means holding my nose and voting for someone else too bad.

Fraternal Order of Police Grand Lodge Home Page
Look at what Walker and Kasich have done to cops in WI and OH. The FOP now regret endorsing both, as do most of their members in those states.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The reasons should be easy to guess. They were political.

Chicago politics is a blood sport and an outsider breaking into Chicago politics is so rare as to have been virtually unknown prior to Obama being able to break in. As an outsider from the West Coast he needed to have some base of political support inside Chicago. Wright's church gave him the political support he needed to start his political career, as Wright exercised considerable political influence on the South Side. Especially considering that Obama lost election to Congress in 2000 after being labelled as an oreo yuppie, he needed that base of support in order to hold office, which allowed him to move up to higher office.

I don't agree with Wright's views, and Obama probably doesn't either, but the political advantages of such an alliance are obvious. Just like how Reagan - who was not a racist - allied himself with racists like Jesse Helms to save his bid for the presidency. Just like how Al Gore, when running for the Dem nomination for president in 1988, let Fred Phelps work on his team in Topeka, even though Gore's not an antisemite. It's about influence.

That said while Wright is a whiner with a chip on his shoulder do you really think he's worse than Paul Shanley, John Geoghan, or Anthony O'Connell? (Don't know who they are? Look up their names on Google) I'd be more troubled if Obama had a close association with Shanley than with Wright.
Which occurred years after joining Trinity UCC.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:42 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
i personally could care less what the rapper common does.

again, you seem to be calling the state troopers self righteous since they are the most vehement in their objection-and with good reason, IMO.

a guy glorifying a cold blooded murder in even one song is one song too many.

beer summit 2 for the president of all americans.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
in case anybody doesn't know the chesimard story here it is-

On May 2, 1973 New Jersey State Troopers James Harper and Werner Foerster were patrolling the New Jersey Turnpike in the area of East Brunswick. They stopped a car with three occupants.

The Troopers were questioning the occupants when the driver and female passenger suddenly came up with semi-automatic pistols and opened fire. Trooper Foerster was struck twice in the chest, and Trooper Harper was hit in the shoulder. The female then proceeded to take the service weapon from the injured Trooper Foerster’s. She pointed it at the wounded Trooper and shot him twice in the head, execution style. The thirty-four-year-old trooper with just three years on the road died soon after. He left a wife and family behind.

who wouldn't glorify that in a song? (sarcasm on)
To you have any documentation on your version of events?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies