Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 06:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Only a complete degenerate would think his lyrics are laid back, non violent and non misogynistic. Is his stuff less degenerate than the other music you rapper fans listen to? In that case, I guess everything is relative . . .
Please. The deed is done. It's over. Get over yourself. Go put on an Englebert Humperdink album or something.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:02 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
what I find funny is that I bet most of these "rightwingers' never heard of "Common" until he was mentioned on FAUX NEWS!
He was mentioned on MSNBC? When was that?

Old 05-12-2011, 07:27 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Jon Stewart made minced meat out of this non-issue:
Daily Show Common | Jon Stewart Fox News Rap | Video | Mediaite

Old 05-12-2011, 07:32 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Please. The deed is done. It's over. Get over yourself. Go put on an Englebert Humperdink album or something.
Not the point. The point is that you keep saying one thing but the lyrics of several songs keep being posted in black and white for all to see and they say something different from what you're claiming they say. You know what that makes you, don't you?

Old 05-12-2011, 07:37 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Three things that anyone who has followed rap as long as I have know:

1) Common changed a lot between his first and third albums - both in terms of style and content. And Heidi Hoe was off of his first album, nineteen years ago.

2) People who don't listen to rap take the lyrics *way* too seriously. People bring up Bill O'Reilly freaking out over Ludacris for exactly this reason. Rap's no different than any other genre - some songs are straight up serious, some are sad tales, some are dance tracks, and some are music for the sake of music.

3) Never go hunting for rap lyrics online. Rap transcripts are usually filled with errors. Just find the youtube tracks and listen to them, you'll probably be better off.
I don't agree that these kinds of lyrics should not be taken seriously, but I thank you for giving an honest and informative response rather than doing what several posters here have done and simply lie outright about the lyrics.

I wonder why Common has not denounced his former lyrics, if he has really changed his focus in recent years away from that kind of trash. Also, it is still troubling that this rapper defends two convicted cop killers. For that alone, he should not have been given any kind of honor or recognition.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:44 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,273,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Jon Stewart made minced meat out of this non-issue:
Daily Show Common | Jon Stewart Fox News Rap | Video | Mediaite
[COLOR="red"]Jon Stewart made a fool of himself!

It was actually,embarrassing to watch.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:50 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Not the point. The point is that you keep saying one thing but the lyrics of several songs keep being posted in black and white for all to see and they say something different from what you're claiming they say. You know what that makes you, don't you?
Yea...a person with enough brain cells to discern between thuggery and art. Unfortunately, some folks are a few brain cells short of that ability.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:58 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
I don't agree that these kinds of lyrics should not be taken seriously, but I thank you for giving an honest and informative response rather than doing what several posters here have done and simply lie outright about the lyrics.

I wonder why Common has not denounced his former lyrics, if he has really changed his focus in recent years away from that kind of trash. Also, it is still troubling that this rapper defends two convicted cop killers. For that alone, he should not have been given any kind of honor or recognition.
You guys keep bringing this up and still DISREGARDING Johnny Cash (invited to the White House) and Ted Nugent.

Why should he denounce anything? People in music and art don't have to apologize for their works just because certain people don't like it.

Also, I beg to know how many times you've even listed to a hip hop album by yourself, let alone listen to Common. Because I can almost bet that any for every song that's "misogynistic" by Common, I can pull up two that's actaully up lifting and consious.

And maja, Jon Stewart can't rap for sh*t.... no surprise there since he is still a comedian, but his mic skills weren't the point of the whole bit.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:16 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
[COLOR="red"]Jon Stewart made a fool of himself!
It was actually,embarrassing to watch.
CONTENT over STYLE! You were embarrassed? OK so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies