Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 11:47 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,490,762 times

Advertisements

I may have posted my topic in the wrong forum (Cincinnati), but is there any way a community entirely surrounded by predominately black neighborhoods can be less than 10% black other than racism?

//www.city-data.com/forum/cinci...ng-racist.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 12:00 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,765,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I may have posted my topic in the wrong forum (Cincinnati), but is there any way a community entirely surrounded by predominately black neighborhoods can be less than 10% black other than racism?

//www.city-data.com/forum/cinci...ng-racist.html

Yes, there is... it depends on who first settled the neighborhood and demographic shifts over time. As non-immigrant white men have historically made up the majority of property owners and business owners, their neighborhoods are far less transient than other groups' neighborhoods.

That's the oversimplified answer anyway... Employment opportunities, immigration patterns, politics and other factors all play in as well. Racism is another important factor though.

Now, if the neighborhood is predominantly white because they're reluctant to rent or sell to non-white customers then that's another story.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:42 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Probably it is a rather expensive neighborhood, so gentrification comes into play. But I assume the percentage of minorities in that neighborhood will also increase over time as wealthy minorities move in.

What I find more interesting and surprising is that so many towns in the Midwest and elsewhere have so few minorities, places that are affordable and have low crime. One might think such places could be interesting for families of any ethnicity. But obviously not so as some of those towns are 99% white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies