Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 06:40 AM

36,522 posts, read 30,856,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Neither are mandatory. Not to mention that the only time I've ever been asked for my state ID is to buy liquor.
Really, I have to show mine (DL) to drive, to do banking, to cash checks, at the SS or other government office, even to pick up my grandkids from school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 07:56 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Not to put too fine a point on it, but as usual the paranoid Right doesn't know what it's talking about. Let's just take a couple of examples:

1. The Real ID Act is not a law that requires everyone to carry a national, mandated identification document. What it does is set standards that state-issued ID's must meet to be acceptable for the federal government (http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/gc_1200062053842.shtm - broken link) when an interaction with the federal government requires identification. Identification is issued by the states and databases are maintained by the state governments.

2. It's not "Obama's fault" and it didn't even happen "on his watch". This is a federal statute passed by Congress in 2005. Today is the date set by the final rule for compliance with the statute and the regulations promulgated thereunder. The date was established when the Bush administration issued the final rule in 2008.

3. You guys who don't like the Real ID Act? Congratulations. You're on the same side of the debate as the ACLU and immigrant-rights advocates.
DUH Jack. We ALL KNOW this was passed eons ago. The POINT IS. IT IS A BAD LAW and shouldn't be allowed to go into effect and if we had elected officials that gave a HOOT about our quality of life, we wouldn't have laws that put the onus on us to keep proving we have a right to be here. Ever hear of the concept of PRESUMPTION OF INNOCENCE? What about that we are INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY If this goes into effect it will be doing so ON OBAMAS watch. COMPRENDES?If they aren't going to do anything about the borders and let this country be a free for all. Then LET IT TRULY BE FREE.

This stupid war on terror will never be won. It is just an excuse to control the masses.

Can your intimidating brain power grasp this concept Jack?

Old 05-11-2011, 08:00 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
and what's wrong with having a national ID???

Old 05-11-2011, 08:01 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
DUH Jack. We ALL KNOW this was passed eons ago. The POINT IS. IT IS A BAD LAW and shouldn't be allowed to go into effect and if we had elected officials that gave a HOOT about our quality of life, we wouldn't have laws that put the onus on us to keep proving we are a citizen. If this goes into effect it will be doing so ON OBAMAS watch. COMPRENDES?If they aren't going to do anything about the borders and let this country be a free for all. Than LET IT TRULY BE FREE.

This stupid war on terror will never be won. It is just an excuse to control the masses.

Can your intimidating brain power grasp this concept Jack?
We had an election back in 2008. I assume since you're so annoyed with Obama about this that you can demonstrate how hard your boy McCain fought to get rid of this, right?

I'll just wait here.

And by the way, don't bother telling me McCain wasn't your guy. He was the alternative that your party put up.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:02 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman
High-tech, fraud-proof national ID cards puts us one step closer to controlling illegal immigration. I don't get why so many Republicans are against them. They b***h about illegals and we all have to worry about terrorists, it's not 1950 anymore, so I say bring them on!
How ? Most illegals drive with no license because they can't get one.

I think border control would be a bigger win to controlling illegal immigration.
Because the second half of the national ID program is to require anyone who gets hired anywhere to have to show the national ID card and there will be instant confirmation via computer for employers to be able to see if the card was reported lost or stolen or if it's faked from someone dead. Now, with illegals using fake S.S. cards, that S.S. data is spread out over 3 data bases and it takes up to two weeks (or longer) for employers to get confirmation on a good or bad card. By then, the day and field work those illegals often get is over and the illegal is long gone. Cut off the employment opportunities for illegals is how the national ID card will severely limit their reasons for coming here in the first place.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:06 AM

45,223 posts, read 26,437,203 times
They will have fake ID cards eventually.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
We had an election back in 2008. I assume since you're so annoyed with Obama about this that you can demonstrate how hard your boy McCain fought to get rid of this, right?

I'll just wait here.

And by the way, don't bother telling me McCain wasn't your guy. He was the alternative that your party put up.
I voted for Chuck Baldwin with the CONSTITUTION PARTY. WAKE UP JACK. Someone as smart as you think you are should have at least done a little homework to see where my leanings are before you accuse me of being so unimaginitive as to have voted for McCain since I criticized OBAMA. I bet you can't find one post where I've complimented a conventional Republican(not including Ron Paul of course)....going back years now.There are more than 2 parties out there.

If more people voted for a third party candidate like I did and we elected one to office our country wouldn't be in such dire straits!

Old 05-11-2011, 08:13 AM

I see no problem with a national id..or a national drivers liciense....and you should show identification(proof of RESIDENCY) (after all you are voting for a REPRESENTATIVE of that district/county/state) for voting

why not have a national standard...and there is nothing wrong with biometrics

for those against....why are you against

you need an id, or proof of age/responsibility/license in almost everything you do in the world

go to the library..need a library card...that's an id
go to blockbuster..need a blockbuster card...that's an id
rent a car...need proof of insuarnce..a valid creditcard(you cant rent a car with cash anymore), and a drivers license
go to 7/11 and buy a beer...need proof of age(either a drivers license or a state id

why not make it simple and have a national id...we are after all supposed to be the UNITED states

again...for those against....why are you against

there is nothing wrong with the national id, a national license, a national STANDARD

I have a new york drivers license...why not just have a USA drivers license..like most of europe.....when I lived in Germany we had a german drivers license..not a bavaria(state or region) licience..it was a COUNTRY license

even many of the Credit Cards now have pictures on them

as far as worrying about data bases...there are thousands of databases ALREADY with lots and lots of info on you....shop at your grocery store..use the grocery club card...guess what..they know what you buy, and the average time you buy it..use a credit card and then that's another database

the 'biometric' is not anything to be afraid of either

Old 05-11-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and what's wrong with having a national ID???
Don't you ALREADY have enough I.D's? For one thing of course it will COST a ton of money to get one. I don't want to live in a place where I have to carry a bunch of I.D. just to move around inside my own neighborhood let alone my own country. Do you?

Old 05-11-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Don't you ALREADY have enough I.D's? For one thing of course it will COST a ton of money to get one. I don't want to live in a place where I have to carry a bunch of I.D. just to move around inside my own country. Do you?
yes, and would it be nice so narrow it down to a national standard..????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies