Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 10:00 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times

Advertisements

After working in the public sector for one month (I quit at the end despite the job opportunity after eight months of unemployment), I now clearly favor outsourcing many state functions to the private sector and firing many of our existing public employees. That may be an exaggerated response, but, yes, I am capable of making 180 degree turns as my life experiences expand. In some areas, I am much more liberal (socially) and in other areas I'm much more conservative (close the borders). But then what is with these labels anyway? No one on the planet is entirely conservative or entirely liberal.

Instead of defining differences, we should be accumulating compromises.

Last edited by mhouse2001; 05-11-2011 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 10:11 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
And the far Right moonbats seem to think they are centrists because they disagree with Hitler on a couple of minor points.

See how easy, and how pointless?

It is the extremists on both ends of the spectrum that lower the level of debate and conversation here, the "activists" whose sole purpose in life, it seems, is to come here and post partisan nonsense.

A plague on both their houses.
It is the grand plan of the elites: To divide and conquer.

Both Republicans and Democrats have been equally bad for the country. It is time we WAKE UP and realize that by electing these candidates, that the media support, whether they are Democrat or Republican, we are playing right into their hands. What we SHOULD be doing if we CARE about the country is to evaluate ALL the candidates ESPECIALLY those that are marginalized by the media ---who PROBABLY would be far and away better for the country if elected, and elect them instead!

BREAKING NEWS: We are and have been BRAINWASHED by the government controlled media. They want us to "think" we have a choice as they narrow down candidates for us and tell us to pick one (when both of them after being elected will be nothing more than puppets for the New World Order elites). Haven't we seen that by doing what the government wants the country just becomes less and less desirable as the media backed candidates that get elected do the opposite of what they promise during their campaigns? How DUMB can Americans be to keep doing this?

Ross Perot began to wake me up and Ron Paul has not only kept me awake but educated me.I find what he has to say and what the third party candidates have to say about what is going on in the country of VITAL IMPORTANCE. We are sitting ducks if we keep blindly following the main stream. I learned my lesson after voting for GW Bush after believing his no nation building small government stance he took but after seeing what he did after 9/11 ---passing the Patriot Act----I will NEVER AGAIN vote for another mainstream candidate no matter how well they lie and how good their campaign rhetoric sounds unless their background demonstrates they can be trusted ie I would vote for Ron Paul if he ran as a mainstream candidate.

I have always been a registered Republican but usually split the ticket when I vote and have often voted for third party candidates or democrats on occasion.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:16 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Majority of people, no matter how much they're proven wrong, will never change their views as a matter of pride.

Personally, I was once a staunch neo-conservative. I was against things like gay marriage, legalization of marijuana, etc. I thought it was the US's "christian" destiny to go into Iraq.

So then junior year of college, I took a course on Middle eastern economics and read a book called "All The Shah's Men" and it changed my life. I thought "clearly, the "evil" nation of Iran didn't at one time have a secular parliamentary democracy, with a secular prime minister, that was overthrown by the United States and the UK." But alas, twas true. My curiosity increased while watching Ron Paul during the election of 2008, and I ended up reading his book, "The Revolution." Book after book, I ended up becoming a libertarian!

Has anyone else here ACTUALLY reconsidered their political views...ever?

Based on my beliefs I guess that I was always a Libertarian, I just never realized it up until the past few years! I'm not the type of Libertarian that is into anarchy though, as I do believe that we have to have certain checks and balances.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:22 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
I believe in:
- a Free Market Economy
- Sovereign Rights for everyone (Civil rights are rights the govt determines for you)
- Ending the Federal Reserve
- Minimizing Federal Government and all of it's agencies
- Ending the IRS and the illegal federal income tax (removing the 16th amendment)
- Pulling out of NATO and the WTO
- Reducing military spending strictly to border and homeland defense, meaning no overseas military campaigns that are unconstitutional as they have not been approved by congress, along with all foreign bases and prescences across the world.
- Removing all policies that are associated with a Welfare State of government
- Legalizing drugs which will reduce the prison population by 60% and invest in drug rehab programs, not imprisonment.
- Reinstating all rights designated to all citizens protected by the US Constitution, including the repeal of the Civil Rights act of 1964, upholding the 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 10th amendments.

Right there with ya pal!

Old 05-11-2011, 10:24 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,630,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I was brainwashed by you liberals my entire life. I grew up in a household with my parents and family who basically all shared the same democratic liberal view. Most African-Americans supported the democratic party so I naturally thought it was the best and republicans were racist right-wing southerners. Until I turned 18 and opened my eyes to the crap that was going on in this country and on my television screen. I look in the hallways of my high school and see the very result of what liberals have done to kids across the nation and I am severly disgusted. Before I came to a conclusion on what party and view I want to represent, I was going to research it thoroughly. Liberals support things that I don't support at all. They have views that don't match mine. I grew up in a Christian household and family but yet my whole family was democrat. My mom is the most pro-Obama fan that you would ever meet. She's one of the many reasons I decided not to join the democratic party based on her extreme hostility and hatred of republicans. It didn't even make sense the crap she said. When I had one smidge of criticism to give of Obama, she would snap on me and tell me I was a "sell-out black". And this was when I was only 16!!

I always wondered why everyone hated republicans. I always thought they were the enemy. Until I found out what liberals and democrats support. They support sin and un-Godly things that I want nothing to do with. Abortion, gay marriage, feminism, etc. I don't support none of those things!! It's only until I grew up and learned to think for myself that I realised that these people are killing millions of children in our country, changing the laws of God, and aggressive women who do not have respect for themselves as a woman or men!! These people claim they want "peace, tolerance, and equal rights"?. Excuse me but there is nothing right about killing a child and giving some low down pathetic excuse like it's a "woman's choice" that it was done. There is nothing right about changing the holy institution of marriage into some abomination. Is nothing sacred anymore in this God-forsaken country?! I don't give a damn if you think church and state ought to be seperated. The moment you try to justify killing a human being, in my eyes, your nothing. And I'm glad I opened my eyes and saw liberals for who they really were. They have no respect for other people and their beliefs, they only want you to support theirs, they are selfish human beings who hide behind peace and equality because they have an agenda to spread, they are mockers, blasphemers, God-haters, and people I want absolutely nothing to do with.

I'm a conservative african-american republican and I will remain that way until I die. I don't have to justify myself to anyone. I don't give a crap what you or your mama have to say about me. At the end of the day, I have my opinion and my views and they have nothing to do with yours. I have figured out who is the right party in this country and who has America's families best interest in mind and who most importantly has God on their mind. And it damn sure ain't liberals.

Could not have said this any better myself. As a gay man, I am ridiculed by my counterparts because I don't follow the sheep and support the other crazy liberal ideas they support. You, as a black male (I assume, but correct me if I am wrong) have probably seen more prejudice and biased from the Democratic party than anyone else. I know I have seen it on my side. Fortunately for you and me, we are smart enough to see when the wool is being pulled over our eyes. Although many Republicans don't support gay marriage, many of them DO think we believe civil unions and other equal rights that EVERY AMERICAN should receive. That is the only beef I have with Republicans, but I agree with pretty much every other issue they support.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:31 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
I'm more liberal than i used to be....a lot more. There was a time (when i was in the military) where i flirted with certain aspects of conservatism, especially on defense issues and foreign policy. I really bought into the Cold War nonsense.

But then, i realized that it was all bullocks and a big lie....and a huge boon to the Military Industrial Complex.

One thing i never anticipated was my 180 degree turn against religion. I grew up in a Catholic household, and even though i was never personally devout, i at least paid it lip service.

One read of The Autobiograpy of Malcolm X, and i was done with religion forever. That book changed my life in a million ways, but moreso about matters of faith than anything else. It also made me a much more militant person when it comes to standing up for myself. It remains the biggest literary influence of my life.

I have to admit though, there are some conservative talkers who have challenged my thinking on a range of topics....namely Mike McConnell and Mike Medved. Tom Sowell to a lesser degree.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:39 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
And the far Right moonbats seem to think they are centrists because they disagree with Hitler on a couple of minor points.

See how easy, and how pointless?

It is the extremists on both ends of the spectrum that lower the level of debate and conversation here, the "activists" whose sole purpose in life, it seems, is to come here and post partisan nonsense.

A plague on both their houses.
I, unlike some here, never claimed to be centrist.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:40 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
My views will change when the facts change.
all politicians are liars and scum bags and cant be trusted.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:43 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
I think that all of us, even the most entrenched, are all works in progress. Whether we change our minds because of a remark made on a political forum, or not, I think the vast majority of people are always susceptible to revising our political positions. We are always learning and experiencing new things, and that changes us.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:46 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think that all of us, even the most entrenched, are all works in progress. Whether we change our minds because of a remark made on a political forum, or not, I think the vast majority of people are always susceptible to revising our political positions. We are always learning and experiencing new things, and that changes us.
pretty much. At some point we wake up and see that the actions of politicians seldom match their rhetoric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies