Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 10:32 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Proposition 13 is amongst the roots of California's current systemic political and economic crisis. And its first victims were CA's schools.

The only people in the late 1970s who accurately predicted what California would be like 30 years later were the anti-Prop 13 people. Also, John Paul Stevens when the constitutionality of Prop 13 came before the SCOTUS - the other 8 members of the court said it was constitutional, but in Stevens' dissent he said Prop 13 would create a landed aristocracy in California and result in widening economic divides in future decades. The anti-13 campaign, however, predicted not only economic inequality and worse schools but also more gangs, more crime, worse public services, more social instability, less ability to assimiliate immigrants, infrastructure decaying, etc. etc.
I bet in 1970, those anti-prop 13 people didn't predict that California would be the destination of swarms of illegals coming to get their handouts.

It's not that the taxpayers in California aren't having enough of their wages confiscated from them but that there are too many trying to live off the taxpayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 01:51 AM

315 posts, read 366,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
My wife and I planned and saved their entire lives, so as not to be a burden on society. You and others should try it sometime: Personal responsibility is such a strange concept to most people.
One of the first things I plan to do when we have kids is open a savings account for each one for college.

My parents did not do this for me.

So I'm trying to find ways to pay for my next 4-6 years of school without taking on massive crippling debt.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:15 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I bet in 1970, those anti-prop 13 people didn't predict that California would be the destination of swarms of illegals coming to get their handouts.

It's not that the taxpayers in California aren't having enough of their wages confiscated from them but that there are too many trying to live off the taxpayers.
Some folks love to blame everything on prop 13. Prop 13 came about from the California Taxpayer Revolt. Bleeding heart liberals had taken over the state and county governments to create a welfare state. The welfare state was attracting every bum from every part of the nation who came for the handouts. To pay for this, the liberals had come up with insane property tax schemes that resulted in the tax revolt. Again, some people want to blame a reaction and refuse to acknowledge the fact that it's the insane spending that is and always was the problem.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:53 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
No dumb, is having sex, knowing you can't afford to raise children.

See, you SAVE money, when your "little darlings" are young and you invest it. By the time they are old enough to go to college, then you can pay for it and not expect the rest of society to pay for your mistakes.

One major problem with society is the fact people pump out children like water. Very few people sit down, and calculate how much its going to cost them and society.

"Oh honey. I'm knocked up." "Oh, that ok. Society will pay for junior's medical care, food, clothing, and schooling. No big deal. Now let's go back to looking at those new jet ski's."

You freaking had the snot nosed ragamuffins, you pay for them. I have three kids. I pay for my oldest daughter to attend a private school, my next oldest daughter graduates next month. I'll be paying for her too, to attend private college. And I am by FAR rich.

My wife and I planned and saved their entire lives, so as not to be a burden on society. You and others should try it sometime: Personal responsibility is such a strange concept to most people.
This is ridiculous. Poor people should then not have smart kids according to you.

100k for college is a little out of line for the majority of Americans.

Hell, 50k for college is a little out of line.

See, even if you saved for your darlings...for most people it won't be enough. This is because the older generation sucked us dry. Dry to the bone. Instead of then helping give the younger generation the same benefits, they decided to adopt your philosophy of tough ****. Greedy and selfish they now ask for lower taxes and reduced spending.

Thanks.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
How anyone paying California Taxes say California is a low Tax State?

As to property tax... the 1% per year of assessed value is only the State Portion. My City adds more than another 1/2% to the 1% making 1.5+% tax on assessed value.

Oakland Unified has several parcel taxes on the tax bill as do Police, Fire, Weed Abatement, Mosquito Control, Parks, Library, Medical, Bus Service, BART Service and even the Alameda County Coliseum has a parcel tax to name a few.

The opposite of reduced spending in increased spending, which is proven to be unsustainable

Homeowners are not the States piggy bank... property taxes make up a portion of the revenue stream...

It is amazing how California, a State that collects 3 major taxes... Property, Sales and Income continues to have problems when neighboring States like Oregon get along fine without a 10% Sales Tax or Washington and Nevada don't have California's 10% Tax on Income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies