Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 02:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild1957 View Post
I have noticed that a lot of illegals are now in many Northern and Eastern states now. Seems like they are multiplying pretty rapidly. They just busted some people here in Detroit for selling illegal IDs. It's has gotten way out of control and there aren't any jobs as it is. Many employers are asking for "Spanish speaking" applicants on manual labor positions. I'm going to start keeping track and do my own investigations. Document on video if I have to. We can do something about this collectively.
Pull up to a job site in a subdivision building homes. They may think you're a county/city inspector just checking up.
Watch all the workers "go on break" and scatter and just the foreman is left to talk to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 02:45 PM

48 posts, read 70,640 times
I believe it. I travel to NW Arkansas to visit my son and there are tons of them there that work at the chicken plants also. (Tyson's and Georges) His apartment complex was full of them.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:03 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,397,949 times
Which is why the government crackdown and implementation of company audits was a good one. Companies in key industries, and hot spots for illegals, have been targeted for two years now. Ask Chipotle how they faired in the audits.

This isn't an overnight slam dunk, it's been a major problem for years. Government has a huge problem with any sweeping reform or crackdown, so they do it in areas where specific legislation is not required. You have everyone from big companies, mom and pop stores, nationwide chains, unions, lobbying against you as a Congresscritter if you even suggest any immigration reform and crackdown. A simple, long-term approach was E-Verify. Most farmers and other agricultural businesses are against it, as are many companies in Red states where people are shaking their fists.

Without the jobs, they wouldn't be here. Without companies being given a pass on hiring them, they'd head home. This is a huge problem that grew over time. It was created mostly by corporate and special interest lobbyists, and it's only a huge issue now because of unemployment and the recession.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:04 PM

24,385 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Obama opened his mouth and inserted his foot. he should not speak off the cuff like that. He really sounded arrogant and not at all aware of the mood of the country.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Obama opened his mouth and inserted his foot. he should not speak off the cuff like that. He really sounded arrogant and not at all aware of the mood of the country.
He's very much aware. El Paso and Austin were hand picked.
He had a $1000/seat talk and then a $25K/seat dinner here in Austin.

He left Texas with millions added to his campaign fund.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:19 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,397,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
He actually sounded a lot like Bush did. In fact, lately, I've referred to him as Bush III

I agree, not the best time to point out reality. But much of what people wanted the last two years was done, and then some.

I'd be arrogant enough to issue an Executive Order and have the Moat built and filled with anything with big teeth.

Obama knows full well that everyone currently in a bad mood will not become happy no matter what's done.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:21 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,721,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
Definitely a true statement, at least for a large amount of people.

The reverse can also be said. Obama has been accused many times the past two years for harmful things that are simply carryovers from the Bush administration. In some cases, he even gets blamed if what he does works. Even Bush himself snickered when a reporter told him that 50% of the country blames Obama for Tarp.

Misquoted statistics, some made up on the spot, other heard on the radio from pundits that made them up. Many of Obama's current implementations of immigration policies migrated from Bush. New presidents don't just throw everything out the day they enter office. Federal audits of firms suspected of hiring illegals was a new policy, and the increased deportations worked. They focused on criminals first, which is a good thing.

I'm not sure who was the first President to realize that his party is not always right, nor are the people largely that smart, but it probably happened a very long time ago. A President that bowed to the daily, knee-jerk reaction of voters to every problem and issue would quickly see the country fall apart. Bush certainly PO's a large percentage of his base on some issues, and so has Obama, so did Clinton. Presidents typically grow up much faster on the job than those that voted for them, or even against them. I suspect that's always been the case.

The sad part of the Internet we have today, is that it's enabled tens of millions of people to participate in contentious discussions that never before read the news. So when Bush was President, half the people pounded him for everything bad, whether it was or not. Same for Obama.

I would recommend that everyone read a past President's book when they get a chance. Bush's book is the most current, so why not start there.
Dammit Steve. I said stop making sense.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:23 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,190,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
A big, high, thick concrete wall, with armed security in gun turrets every 50 yards.

Easy peazy!
China did it with a GREAT wall.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
OK. How much are you willing to pay for that??
I believe enough material would be donated and the labor could come from capable people who are living off the government and certain imprisoned people could earn time off their sentence by working on it.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
OK. How much are you willing to pay for that??
How much are illegal's costing us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies