Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 06:37 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You can live like obama in Mexico with $150 bucks!
Whens the last time you were in Mexico? The last time I went the peso wasn't 120-1 like it used to be. A typical sit down meal was still $5-6 a head and that was nearly ten years ago. Now I'd bet it's a tad cheaper than here, but not .10 fish taco cheap like it was in the eighties.

Just checked: 11.6-1 so a 10 peso fish taco is about .90, El Poyo 1.29

According to a wiki editor: In Tiajuana You will find a wide variety of sea food and fish tacos at an excellent price. Expect to pay around $2 US for fish tacos to $10 US for a dish.

So, I guess it has gone up since the last time I was there. Inflation and a weak dollar has changed everything. You could live like Obama for about an hour on $150 in Mexico.

Last edited by steven_h; 05-11-2011 at 06:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 06:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Just more rethoric to feed the maddening crowd.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:06 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
So, I guess it has gone up since the last time I was there. Inflation and a weak dollar has changed everything. You could live like Obama for about an hour on $150 in Mexico.
Oh please, the other poster of course exagerated but to even say you could live for an hour in Mexico for $150 is an exageration as well. Their cost of living has risen, true, but no where close to that much.. I go there every couple of years and little has changed.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:11 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
I get that. I was just trying to pour it on a bit as it seems is the case for many vocal Americans. It also seemed to fit the "Maybe they'll want a moat" flavor of this thread. I realize that many don't distinguish between legal and illegal and I am remiss if seen as doing the same thing. Anyway, the sarcasm (I prefer irreverence) is born out of some of the same frustrations many are addressing. I prefer it over straight up anger and it is not directed at anyone in particular. I also threw in "kill them all" in another post for the same reason.

I apologize if it detracted too much from the supposed purpose of this forum though I think airing out frustrations is part of the purpose.
People opposing illegal activity can distinguish between legal and illegal.

It's the pro-illegals do not.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:13 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
I have not read the thread and probably won't. My blood pressure is good today. I just wanted to say that I will vote for anyone, anyone at all, rather than the current incumbent.....

Old 05-11-2011, 07:14 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
People opposing illegal activity can distinguish between legal and illegal.

It's the pro-illegals do not.
Amen, sistah, amen.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:34 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
We need to rename Obama "The Straw Man President." He makes the most ridiculous policies seem mainstream by using the infamous "straw man" type of argument. It goes like this: "Some people want to give each immigrant a million dollars for coming to America. Some people want patently ridiculous limits and restrictions on immigration, like huge walls and fences and moats and alligators. Since I am the height of reason and totally mainstream, I choose to have rational and reasonable restrictions on immigration."

He defines himself as mainstream without ever venturing into the sticky mess of WHAT exactly he is doing. Obama avoids specifics like the plague.

Most American households know that if you have a problem with ants infesting your house (and I'm not saying immigrants are ants), there is only one way safe and effective way to deal with the problem: remove the bait. If immigrants were not awarded "free" education and medical care and social services simply by making it across the border and having babies, there would be no bait. And if American companies were prevented by government from hiring illegal immigrants, they would not find it so profitable to do so.

It is hard to believe that after living through so many "jobless recoveries" that there are now no other kind, we still allow foreigners to simply slip across the border and sign up for social services, when my generation is constantly told the nation "can't afford" our retirement even after we paid the excess SS taxes that SHOULD have made the SS Trust Fund. Between Big Business and Big Government, they destroyed our wages in the 1970s, our pensions in the 1980s, our health care benefits and home values in the 1990s, any interest from savings many decades ago, and any retirement help from investments because of constant economic collapse.

In the future our Washington elected leaders will have either cut the Massive War Mongering Machine, or rob an entire generation of the ONE thing we have left after they have stolen every single other thing in our lives--Social Security and Medicare. I know what THIER decision will be, since Washington NEVER defies its Military-Industrial owners. What I don't know is if Americans will meekly walk into the slaughterhouse and lay their heads on the block.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:41 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Really? Because 50% of our illegal immigrants came here legally, and then overstayed their visas. There is nothing easier than hop in the plane and fly in legally. If you can afford the ticket of course.
Then they are not legal anymore and time to send them back to where they came from.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:46 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Those that come here legally are welcome, up until the point they are no longer here legally...
Again, I was replying to someone else about people coming here. I was not talking to you. You simply took the liberty of speaking for someone else, which is fine, only you do not seem to comprehend the point: why are we so concerned about the back yard fence when the front door is wide open?

Old 05-11-2011, 07:47 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You can live like obama in Mexico with $150 bucks!
Yes, for a day or two. I guess they are not as short sighted as you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies