Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 03:53 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Really? Hybrid Vigor huh? Can you give me an example of hybrid vigor in humans? Are mixed-breed humans living longer? Are they more healthy? Are they more intelligent? Are they more anything at all?

I can totally admit that people have been mixing when in close proximity to each other since the beginning. And I don't believe in any sort of racial purity, that is nonsense. On the contrary, you do have a very high concentration of specific traits in specific populations around the world that are either absent or largely absent in other populations of the world. These concentrations of traits give a very distinct phenotype which could be seen in certain regards as "superior" or "inferior"(such as height, strength, speed, high intelligence, etc).

If those isolated human groups with generally viewed as "superior genes" were mixed with another relatively isolated human group with markedly inferior genes, the result would be to the benefit of one group and to the detriment of the other. In the end you would end up with basically an average of the superior and inferior, and everyone would just become mediocre.

The word species generally denotes all biological organisms that can breed with every other member of the same group, and not with members of other groups. Basically, since humans cannot mate with chimpanzees, then humans and chimpanzees are not the same species. Of course, at one time humans and chimpanzees came from the same ancestor, so at one time our ancestors were both the same species. So what happened?

As members of the same species become more and more geographically distant and/or isolated, they become more genetically distant. Once there is enough genetic distance, the distant members of what was once the same species become biologically incompatible with each other(think pygmies). Since they can no longer mate with each other, they drift further and further away from each other over time, until not only are they no longer the same species, they wouldn't even be considered to be in the same genus.

Humans are the same species because they are can all breed with each other, and they can breed with no other species on the planet. But there are plenty of species that can breed with other species(and many times even with species from entirely different genus').

Take the American Bison and Domestic Cattle, they were classified to be not only different species, but also in two separate genus' from each other. American Bison and Cattle can breed with one another so readily, that most American Bison herds are no longer full-blood American Bison. Not only that but many Cattle herds are also tainted with Bison genes. So the definition of species itself is pretty full of holes. Something like 4% of all animal species can breed with members of other species and about 10% of all plant species can breed with members of other species. In fact, most of those genetically modified plants that you hear about, are the result of inter-species hybrids. This is also why there are so many people who want genetically modified foods to be outlawed, because the result of the hybrids is that they will pollute the pure-breed gene pool until they no longer exist.

There is no doubt that mixing a white person with a black person will create something that is neither white nor black. And this mixing will pollute the gene pools of both the constituent parts until the point that the original genetic characteristics that correlate highly with each group will largely disappear or become heavily dispersed. And whatever specialization that existed in each group, will disappear.
you worry about race too much.

nobody is going to you asking for approval.

you have the right to your own opinion, but where you and your ilk get into trouble is trying to enforce that opinion on other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 09:21 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
the offsprings of a Nonblack/Black couple are still considered Black anyways.
Except Obama

Old 05-15-2011, 09:24 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Queen Latifah and I are the same color. I am considered light skinned by some, medium complexion by others. Oprah is probably a shade darker and I wouldn't consider her dark skinned, almost but not quite. My mother and grandmother are VERY dark. I love dark skin and used to envy them but they tell horrible stories about being black. My grandmother's name was Florence and some of her friends even joked and called her "Florence Nightingale" throughout her life. She was seen as the "ugly" child out of her siblings. Lots of people commented on it. She was a beautiful woman but was the only dark skinned child in her family. Her mother was a mullato with green eyes she married a dark man and my grandmother looked like him while her siblings looked like my great grandmother.

Both are not held up as a beauty though. They are usually portrayed as talented (Queen Latifah) or intelligent and giving (Oprah). I have heard quite a few negative remarks about both not being beautiful and Queen Latifah being a lesbian. Also Oprah is seen as ******y, aggressive, and demanding.
Wow. I had no idea. I find them both so beautiful, in addition to being intelligent and influential, that I guess I must have just assumed other people thought so too.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Try a Bahai church sometime if you find one locally.
That's cool. I've just never been to one, which is why I was saying of the churches I've been to earlier. I'm just surprised about this woman's anti-interracial dating stance given her JW background.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
So some redneck somewhere in Alabama in the 1930s called a black person a monkey and now whenever the word "monkey" is used in ANY context and directed in the general vicinity of a black person its automatically racist?

Oh, brother!

Its 2011 for goodness sake.

Grow a thicker skin and stop being such a whiny victim. (Not you personally but for SOME blacks who are easily offended).
Some redneck somewhere in Alabama? Try slavery. The argument that black people were monkeys was used to justify enslavement.

I'm not black or easily offended and even I can see that you're brushing off a long history of oppression as no big deal. It's not being a whiny victim; it's acknowledging history.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:34 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Some redneck somewhere in Alabama? Try slavery. The argument that black people were monkeys was used to justify enslavement.

I'm not black or easily offended and even I can see that you're brushing off a long history of oppression as no big deal. It's not being a whiny victim; it's acknowledging history.
LOL try police officers, teachers, politicians, etc. Clearly that poster had a different version of US history than the rest of us.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:43 PM

26 posts, read 48,783 times
The race threads on this forum are ridiculous and scary.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:24 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:

It is 2011.

Should I slap a Japanese man walking down the street for this:

Bataan Death March - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Should I punch a guy from the UK for this:

Burning of Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Should I hate women because of this:

Eve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When do we stop blaming "history" and start living in 2011?

Old 05-16-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
It is 2011.

Should I slap a Japanese man walking down the street for this:

Bataan Death March - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Should I punch a guy from the UK for this:

Burning of Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Should I hate women because of this:

Eve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When do we stop blaming "history" and start living in 2011?
We are living in 2011. We've made a lot of progress in terms of race but we also have a ways to go. Now, in 2011 there is a lot of racism still. The bulk of it is covert, but it is nevertheless still there, right below the surface.

There's a balance between dwelling in the past and disregarding the past. I'm not accusing white people today of being slave masters or even alluding to the fact that things are as bad today as they were during slavery times. I'm simply stating the truth: our country has a history and while we have healed from much of it, we are still recovering from some aspects of it. Racism is no longer on the books but it's still in the minds of many and that is an aspect that we need to work on.

Acknowledging what is true isn't dwelling. If anything, it's not the people that are calling out others on racism that are dwelling, it's the people that are being racist that are dwelling in racist times. They're the ones that need to get with the program so the rest of us can move on as well.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:31 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
We are living in 2011. We've made a lot of progress in terms of race but we also have a ways to go. Now, in 2011 there is a lot of racism still. The bulk of it is covert, but it is nevertheless still there, right below the surface.

There's a balance between dwelling in the past and disregarding the past. I'm not accusing white people today of being slave masters or even alluding to the fact that things are as bad today as they were during slavery times. I'm simply stating the truth: our country has a history and while we have healed from much of it, we are still recovering from some aspects of it. Racism is no longer on the books but it's still in the minds of many and that is an aspect that we need to work on.

Acknowledging what is true isn't dwelling. If anything, it's not the people that are calling out others on racism that are dwelling, it's the people that are being racist that are dwelling in racist times. They're the ones that need to get with the program so the rest of us can move on as well.
If there is a vast nation of whites who secretly despise blacks but pretend to like them then I don't think the best way to change their views is to constantly berate them about race.

The best thing to do is to behave in a manner that is the OPPOSITE of the negative stereotypes about black people. Most blacks do, of course, but many behave in a way to support the views of racists.

With the proper behavior racist views will simply erode over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies