Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 03:51 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Was it any good? Ive watched a minute or two of it on HBO, but never sat down to watch the whole thing.
It may not be the best movie I have ever watched, but I found it interesting and I was really interested in how the movie would end.

Jackson's character also says things one can read from racist people on CD all the time, like that they work with people of other ethnic groups without any problems. But that is work and in private they should be separate. Things like that... The trigger for the cop's racism seems to have been the death of his wife, which he somehow blamed whites for. But from the kind of behavior he displays in other respects I suppose he had never been a really nice person before that, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 04:07 PM

402 posts, read 589,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"My new friend is handsome, African-American, intelligent and seemingly wealthy. He is an athlete, loves his momma, and is happily married to a White woman. I admit when I saw his wedding ring, I privately hoped. But something in me just knew he didn't marry a sister. Although my guess hit the mark, when my friend told me his wife was indeed Caucasian, I felt my spirit...wince. I didn't immediately understand it. My face read happy for you. My body showed no reaction to my inner pinch, but the sting was there, quiet like a mosquito under a summer dress."

She's a very eloquent writer. Too bad she has that view, she's a beautiful woman. I guess at least she's honest about it. I think she is probably behind the times and should hang out with some mixed couples with mixed kids to open her mind and find out these notions belong in the past. I'm not saying forgotten either! I can see how it is difficult to impossible for some people to hold a Nationalistic view about their own culture and still be open to mixing with other races.

It's definitely more difficult if you have been raised to take pride in "your" race compared to someone who places little important in their race.
That's not really the issue. I know what she meant. There are many who feel the way she feels, but would not bat an eye at seeing a white man with a Black woman.

On another note, I'm not surprised at the number of pages on this topic. Some white people are just obsessed with finding anything they can use to try to justify their racism. That's really what it boils down to.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:18 AM

674 posts, read 698,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post

Even Native Americans don't blame their myriad problems on "what the white man did".
Right...the average American doesn't even know any native people because there are so few left other than the person with 1/256 Cherokee blood. You may be one of those Americans because this quote is bull. I know plenty of natives who complain about white racism and culture co-opting (i.e. the 1/256 Cherokee declaring himself a Shaman and holding Lakota sweat lodges lol). From silliness like the codename Geronimo on the Osama raid to real issues like the land trust.

Indian message board with plenty of "complaints": Indianz.Com - News

Old 06-09-2011, 06:09 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,368,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
It may not be the best movie I have ever watched, but I found it interesting and I was really interested in how the movie would end.

Jackson's character also says things one can read from racist people on CD all the time, like that they work with people of other ethnic groups without any problems. But that is work and in private they should be separate. Things like that... The trigger for the cop's racism seems to have been the death of his wife, which he somehow blamed whites for. But from the kind of behavior he displays in other respects I suppose he had never been a really nice person before that, either.
Spoiler

He blamed white people because his wife was having an affair with her white boss and she died in a car accident while he was driving IIRC.

It was a decent movie. I'm not a big fan of Jackson's and I thought some parts were extremely over the top but it was watchable.

Something New is a softer movie that deals with interracial relationships

Old 06-09-2011, 07:51 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Spoiler

He blamed white people because his wife was having an affair with her white boss and she died in a car accident while he was driving IIRC.

It was a decent movie. I'm not a big fan of Jackson's and I thought some parts were extremely over the top but it was watchable.

Something New is a softer movie that deals with interracial relationships
Yes, I have seen Something New twice. It focuses more on social aspects, while the other movie focuses more on crime based on racist attitudes.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:40 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,543,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
I'm not surprised at the number of pages on this topic. Some white people are just obsessed with finding anything they can use to try to justify their racism. That's really what it boils down to.
...and black posters fill these pages because they are just obsessed with finding excuses to justify the failures of the minority of blacks who can't get their stuff together generation after generation...

Old 06-09-2011, 04:16 PM

674 posts, read 698,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Racial purity isn't a good thing because it brings out genetic diseases, it really means inbreeding (not incest) but to stay "pure" you'd have to marry at least distant relatives generation after generation, there's something to be said about hybrid vigor.
Absolutely untrue as black Africans are the most genetically diverse people on the planet. For example there is more genetic diversity in black Nigerians than there is in all of Europe and Asia combined. Frankly, following your logic, black people who marry other black people are doing themselves a genetic favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies