Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 02:35 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,397 times

Advertisements

residing, I agree the whole "black women have an attitude" is BS.

I never knew about the whole standard "the lighter, the better" with black women. For example, I think Queen Latifah and Oprah are both beautiful black women. Are they mixed/light skinned? They seem pretty middle-of-the-road (not super dark, not super light) to me. I was under the impression they were Black and most people find them beautiful. Am I in the minority here? Maybe I'm biased cause I find dark women as beautiful as mocha women. It's also possible my vision isn't reliable cause I am so new to having sight. It makes me sad people think like that cause there are so many beautiful dark women out there. Angelique Kidjo comes to mind.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 03:24 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Queen Latifah and I are the same color. I am considered light skinned by some, medium complexion by others. Oprah is probably a shade darker and I wouldn't consider her dark skinned, almost but not quite. My mother and grandmother are VERY dark. I love dark skin and used to envy them but they tell horrible stories about being black. My grandmother's name was Florence and some of her friends even joked and called her "Florence Nightingale" throughout her life. She was seen as the "ugly" child out of her siblings. Lots of people commented on it. She was a beautiful woman but was the only dark skinned child in her family. Her mother was a mullato with green eyes she married a dark man and my grandmother looked like him while her siblings looked like my great grandmother.

Both are not held up as a beauty though. They are usually portrayed as talented (Queen Latifah) or intelligent and giving (Oprah). I have heard quite a few negative remarks about both not being beautiful and Queen Latifah being a lesbian. Also Oprah is seen as ******y, aggressive, and demanding.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:35 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Answer this question honestly.

Would you ever refer to an African American as a "dancing monkey" in the presence of another group of blacks?

Be real with me. You'd do that? And if not, why not?
Certainly.

After all, and you will agree with this, African-Americans would never react violently to a perceived slight even if the supposedly offending phrase had nothing to do with race:

Urban Dictionary: dancing monkey

A most likely response would be for the offended to simply say, "Pardon me sir, but I take offense to that phrase. Please refrain from using it in my presence. Thank you."

Old 05-13-2011, 03:39 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I am not going to respond to anyone specifically because you'll all start crying, but in my opinion referring to an African American as a "monkey" is no different than calling them the "n" word. If people don't get that this is a vile, and exceedingly offensive term, then heaven help them. For people arguing the point, you are looking like racist fools.

ATTENTION:

THE MAN IN THE FOLLOWING VIDEO IS NOT BLACK:

YouTube - Steve Ballmer - Dance Monkey Boy!

Funny...I never saw him file a "racism" complaint even though this viral video is well known as the "Monkey Boy Steve" video.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:42 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Certainly.

After all, and you will agree with this, African-Americans would never react violently to a perceived slight even if the supposedly offending phrase had nothing to do with race:

A most likely response would be for the offended to simply say, "Pardon me sir, but I take offense to that phrase. Please refrain from using it in my presence. Thank you."
To which I would reply "I don't give a ****" That you very much.

I also would never have posted the definition up for a bunch of intellectually lazy posters. But hey you are much nicer than I am.

Oh yeah I love Microsoft as well. Made a lot of money off of them.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:44 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,472 times
Ehh... who cares. Every person is entitled to their own opinion even if it is racist.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:44 PM

950 posts, read 1,514,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
As I said, I don't like that attitude from any side. But the situation is different for historic reasons. Some minorities feel like they are an endangered species that needs to be protected rather than diluted

If Blacks were an endangered species in America than we wouldn't have so many cities that are predominantly Black.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:47 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Regarding the original OP, is the WH only supposed to invite perfect people? I doubt they would find any guest who doesn't have a view or two that others are not happy about.
At the end of the day what matters is that she is a role model for black kids, she takes no drugs, is sophisticated, has nothing to do with gangsta rap, takes responsibility of her life, is in full charge of her career, is proud of who she is and what she has accomplished, etc.
No matter what blacks do, they will always be criticized. If they are friendly towards whites, they are called sellout or Uncle Tom, if they stick to themselves, they are racists...

Old 05-13-2011, 11:29 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
OK I just read the article now and I'm sorry but she obviously hasn't listened to a word in the Kingdom Hall. I studied with the Jehovah's Witnesses and I can't imagine any of them thinking in the way this woman does. I do realize the history of our country and acknowledge it, but her religion tells her to see Jehovah first, and to not see color. And that's exactly what she's not doing.

She can have her opinion but she shouldn't be calling herself a Jehovah's Witness if that's what her opinion is because the JW's are very adamant about NOT thinking like that. I can easily say 90% of the interracially married people I know are JW because they are that much about Jehovah and not color. It's the only truly integrated congregation I've ever been to, where they weren't just integrated when they came to service, but where different races married, had kids, and really hung out together and made close friendships outside the Kingdom Hall as well.
Try a Bahai church sometime if you find one locally.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welse View Post
wow a person who isnt a brain washed sheep. this woman isnt racist based on the fact that she disagrees with interracial relationships. she might be and she might not be. more people of all races should stick to their own race instead of everyone wanting a world full of mongrels. that doesnt mean we cant get along just preserve your race and your culture .
I think it is racist. When you base anything on race, it's racist.

And it's the same as David Duke wanting to preserve his race purity as though there is such a thing or that it would be desireable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies