Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 03:26 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times

Advertisements

Conservatives including Fox News host Sean Hannity and former Alaska Republican governor Sarah Palin were critical of the White House for inviting the rapper Common to perform at the White House on Wednesday.

"Common is a pretty peaceful loving poet. A poet’s job is to say things people think, even if you don’t like it. That’s their job," said Def Jams Hip Hop mogul Russell Simmons," when I interviewed him on Tuesday about his recent meeting with Donald Trump.

Mr. Simmons defended not only Common but other rappers in the music community, like Snoop Doggy Dogg. The hip hop mogul noted he sent rappers from his Def Poetry Jam to the White House during the last Bush administration saying, "They didn’t say nothing when I sent the Def Poetry Jam during George Bush’s administration." He added, "There’s nothing that Common could say that was more critical of the U.S. government than all the poets of my Broadway show. It won a Tony."

PICKET: Hip hop mogul Russell Simmons slams FNC's Hannity over rapper criticism - Washington Times

Btw the rapper "Common" is the boyfriend of Serena Williams! Nice kind of boy friend does she have....so much for being a role model!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 05:16 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Stewart defends Hannity.

Tone Def Poetry Jam - Lyrics Controversy - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 05/11/11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Old 05-12-2011, 05:36 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
With everything else going on in our country right now, THIS is what is considered newsworthy??

Old 05-12-2011, 06:56 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,810,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
With everything else going on in our country right now, THIS is what is considered newsworthy??
No kidding. The right are so ridiculous they will try and bash Obama over anything.
This link is a good read: " Hannity's remarks about Common's lyrics are in sharp contrast to his thoughts on Ted Nugent's 2007 onstage remarks that then-candidate Obama "suck on" a machine gun and called him a "piece of s***." When guest Bob Beckel asked about Nugent's remarks soon after, and whether Hannity was prepared to "disavow this lowlife," Hannity called Nugent a "friend" and said, "I like Ted Nugent."

Fox News accidentally debunks its own attacks on ‘vile’ rapper Common | The Raw Story

Old 05-12-2011, 07:35 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post

It's the Republican talking points right now to control the news cycle, taking it away from Obama's effort to get us to focus on immigration reform. They also can't keep hammer on him about bin Laden without making themselves look bad so Common is their scapegoat diversion.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:41 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
via verde: Will Mrs. Obama follow in Laura Bush's footsteps and cancel
Quote:
Back in 2003, First Lady Laura Bush held a poetry evening, and she invited several poets to reprise the work of Emily Dickinson, Langston Hughes and Walt Whitman. Although none of those poets had urged violence against a president, Bush canceled the event after left-of-center poets protested and threatened to disrupt the event.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:58 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Let me get this straight, it's the Poet's job to talk about shooting police, and the president?

I sure hope all of the police in the U.S. knows about this, the next time this "Poet" has to call for help.

Quite frankly most of this so called rap is nothing but trash and filth. So they won a "TONY"? Big deal, I don't even pay attention to all these awards they give each other, most are totally meaningless.

And for those who want to complain, I can't stand Nugent for his comments, or even Eazy-e for his lyrics. All were disgusting, and shouldn't have been acceptable by anyone.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:35 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
No kidding. The right are so ridiculous they will try and bash Obama over anything.
This link is a good read: " Hannity's remarks about Common's lyrics are in sharp contrast to his thoughts on Ted Nugent's 2007 onstage remarks that then-candidate Obama "suck on" a machine gun and called him a "piece of s***." When guest Bob Beckel asked about Nugent's remarks soon after, and whether Hannity was prepared to "disavow this lowlife," Hannity called Nugent a "friend" and said, "I like Ted Nugent."

Fox News accidentally debunks its own attacks on ‘vile’ rapper Common | The Raw Story
People, including so-called artists, can say whatever they want. That doesn't mean they need to be celebrated by the president. That's the issue.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:03 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Let me get this straight, it's the Poet's job to talk about shooting police, and the president?

I sure hope all of the police in the U.S. knows about this, the next time this "Poet" has to call for help.

Quite frankly most of this so called rap is nothing but trash and filth. So they won a "TONY"? Big deal, I don't even pay attention to all these awards they give each other, most are totally meaningless.

And for those who want to complain, I can't stand Nugent for his comments, or even Eazy-e for his lyrics. All were disgusting, and shouldn't have been acceptable by anyone.
A spoke person for NY police came out on tv to speak against the invitation and asked Obama to dis invite Common....which he obvious didn't do...

A couple of years we bought some clothing from this cloting mogul and other rappers....but we stopped buying it when they were their pants almost on the floor...in the beginning they had nice clothes and never ever did I think anything else of buying stuff.

Now I will not buy anything related to any of these people...just as I won't watch a Mel Gibson movie, etc....

I wish they all shut up and just do what they are doing the best...since I now know how they really are, that is what I base what I buy on. If I wouldn't know I might have bought some stuff of them.

I also stopped listening to their music after they started to accuse a lot of people of racism while they were using the "N' word so often...

Old 05-12-2011, 09:13 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Just anther instance of the Obama thinking . This as they say jives with his earlier statement o the arrest of his friend when he called the police stupid. He must be takig lessons from Biden and certainly the Rev Wright influence shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies