Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 05:49 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Can you tell me why I should trust the Federal Government over a health insurance corporation?
Ask your grandparents if they like their government coverage Guarantee you they do....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 05:57 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
It's not my fault that you are trying to talk about that which you know nothing about.

P.S. Good. Keep in mind that those dividends are coming off the back of people's contributions to insurance plans who have had their claims denied.
You don't know a damned thing about what I know. Oh, the usual elitist reply, "I know everything and you know nothing".

Your illusions of grandeur are only exceeded bu your arrogance.

And I have NEVER had a claim denied in over 45 years. Something else you know squat about.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:12 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
"For every problem, there exists a simple and elegant solution which is absolutely wrong."

- J. Wagoner, U.C.B. Mathematics

The doctor my daughter saw in the ER after an accident at a gymnastics meet wasn't "in-network", so we had to pay for his care. At the time, we didn't know there was an appeals process. This accident took place about 25 miles from our home, BTW.
In all seriousness, I hope your daughter is OK.

The fact is you have a policy. You get a new copy every year. Everyone should read it.

The old saying goes, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Aren't you one of those touting about a college eduction? College educated people are much smarter than people without the sheepskin?

Like I said before, you have a contract. The error was your fault, not the insurance company.

You made a claim that you were denied coverage as if the insurance company was some evil ogre only out for profit. Then we find out it was your fault not the insurance companies. You grossly exaggerated your situation.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:30 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
I agree. We have a healthcare problem,....and the federal government caused it. When the federal government artificially sets the reimbursement for goods and services ,.....certainly the costs are held down for that particular age group.
So, if the government caused it, why is it that every other industrialized nation (that have far more government involvement) covers all their citizens at half the cost of the U.S.? YOu would think that "if government caused it" government would have caused it there too.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
In all seriousness, I hope your daughter is OK.

The fact is you have a policy. You get a new copy every year. Everyone should read it.

The old saying goes, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Aren't you one of those touting about a college eduction? College educated people are much smarter than people without the sheepskin?

Like I said before, you have a contract. The error was your fault, not the insurance company.

You made a claim that you were denied coverage as if the insurance company was some evil ogre only out for profit. Then we find out it was your fault not the insurance companies. You grossly exaggerated your situation.
Why is this "my fault"? When we needed an ER, we were supposed to ask if the one doctor on staff at the ER that night was "in network"? When the answer was "no" (something that didn't occur to us to even ask at the time of an emergency), we were supposed to take our injured child to another ER that had a doctor "in network"? It was just a way to get some money out of us. We actually had numerous claims denied when I was pregnant with our second daughter, many of which were adjudicated in our favor. I am not some ignoramous and your constant personal attacks make you look small.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:34 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
So, if the government caused it, why is it that every other industrialized nation (that have far more government involvement) covers all their citizens at half the cost of the U.S.? YOu would think that "if government caused it" government would have caused it there too.
.........this is not "every other industrialized nation". I don't care what other nations are doing. I don't live there.

Most "other industrialized nations" don't have the illegal immigration problem there that puts a tremendous burden on the healthcare system, costing untold millions to taxpayers, strains the healthcare facilities, and contributing to the spiraling costs.

Many other nations are struggling to pay for their socialized medicine programs, or have limited access or long waiting lines for treatment. I don't see that happening here.

You tout "other industrialized nations" so much,....why do their citizens want to come to the United States for major operations? Why do Canadians cross the border for healthcare they can't readily get in their country? Why do world leaders always end up in the United States when they have a serious heath problem? At some juncture healthcare becomes equivalent to gasoline/fuel,......it really makes no difference what it costs as long as you can get it. You may be different, but in my many decades of living, I've NEVER known someone who died because they were denied healthcare in the United States. I've known some uninsured people who ended up with thousands in debt, but that was their own fault in most cases.

Our healthcare professionals are second to none, and in fact train most of the physicians who practice all over the world. If you cannot/will not see what the government has done to our healthcare system with its endless bureaucracy and endless redtape, then you haven't been paying attention. The rules/regulations governing Medicare is 100,000 pages,..........100,000 pages. The bureaucracy alone must take thousands to administer.

If you prefer the government to run your life, then that's your business. I prefer to exercise my own rights as a human being.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:14 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why is this "my fault"? When we needed an ER, we were supposed to ask if the one doctor on staff at the ER that night was "in network"? When the answer was "no" (something that didn't occur to us to even ask at the time of an emergency), we were supposed to take our injured child to another ER that had a doctor "in network"? It was just a way to get some money out of us. We actually had numerous claims denied when I was pregnant with our second daughter, many of which were adjudicated in our favor. I am not some ignoramous and your constant personal attacks make you look small.
Because that person wants to defend corporate greed by for-profit Insurance conglomerates.

From my neighbor who works at the ER in my region:

Fact: Our hospital administrators will tell our ER doctors what to order on certain patients. Meaning they will set protocols.

If the patient has Medicare and comes in with chest pain, we will get paid for these test. Even if the patient does not need all of those test, they will get ordered. Even though Medicare doesn’t pay for everything, and the patient will have to pay a ton out of pocket.

I have seen elderly patients come in not running fever. ER nurse or doctors falsify saying there were running fever so we could run and charge blood cultures x2. Medicare pays for it if they are running fever. It cost our lab around $2 and we charge $183.00 a set. So there is $366 - $4 = 362 pure profit. Now like I said Medicare does not pay all, so you can bet the patient will pay about $100 out of pocket. They still do this even though the WBC count is normal showing no infection, which is what Blood Cultures test for.

Let’s do a breakdown of cost for just lab for a common er visit for feeling bad, say flu symptoms.

TEST Our Cost Our Charge Profit

CBC $3.00 $144.50 $141.5

CMP $3.00 $197.00 $194.00

UA $2.00 $65.59 $63.59

BCX2 $4.00 $183.00 $179.00
($2.00 Per Set)

Total Profit = 578.09

IF YOU SAID SHORTNESS OF BREATH THEN WE WILL ADD.

Coags

PT $2.00 97.40 95.40

PTT $2.00 138.24 136.24

D-dimer $5.00 148.00 143.00

We will also run cardiac enzymes if you are on medicare or have insurance

CK $2.00 104 102

Trop 4.00 163 159

Mg 2.00 107 105

Oh and don’t forget the flu test if its flu season, and now cause of H1N1 we will test for flu year round.

FLU 5.00 183 178

If it’s a kid then you can add strep. If it’s a baby then add strep and rsv, but take away the cardiac enzymes----most of the time, lol.

This is not counting the EKG, x-ray, respitory breathing treatments or blood gas, er charges, doctor charges, iv charge, drugs given charge, anything else they can possibly think of charge.

Of course this depends on insurance. I can go into an er room and tell by the orders and complaint if they have Medicare, good insurance, bad insurance or no insurance.

Our doctors are told to order based on this. OF COURSE THEY GET BONUSES FOR DOING SO.

Now some actual ER Certified doctors (Meaning did their residency in Emergency Medicine) won’t play this game and large hospitals have to use actual ER certified docs.

INSURANCE MANDATES MEDICAL CARE HERE, WHICH IS WRONG. when they can circumvent medical professionals with ethics, they do it at any cost.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:24 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Federal govt already is in the system. If it isnt, we will just see more hospitals doing this:

Hospital accused of dumping L.A. homeless woman to pay $125,000 fine | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

You really want to see grandma dumped in the street, in America????.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:05 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Federal govt already is in the system. If it isnt, we will just see more hospitals doing this:

Hospital accused of dumping L.A. homeless woman to pay $125,000 fine | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

You really want to see grandma dumped in the street, in America????.
Grandma? What a crock!!!

If families have "grandmas" who live on the street, then they obviously don't give a damn about grandma anyway.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:08 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
So why is it that every other industrialized nation covers all their citizens at half the cost of the U.S.? It's really only a crisis here.

If it's the government's fault, why is it that Medicare costs have grown slower than private costs?

Here’s the raw fact, from the National Health Expenditure data: since 1970 Medicare costs per beneficiary have risen at an annual rate of 8.8% — but insurance premiums have risen at an annual rate of 9.9%. The rise in Medicare costs is just part of the overall rise in health care spending. And in fact Medicare spending has lagged private spending: if insurance premiums had risen “only” as much as Medicare spending, they’d be 1/3 lower than they are.

We don’t have a Medicare problem — we have a health care problem.

got any examples of these "smart employers?" Most firms interested in attracting and retaining valuable employees provide health plans.
My point too. Companies like WALMART and McDonalds depend on the government to provide Health Care for their employees while pocketing the cost. The only way to cut Health care is to Nationalize it, as long as the Insurance Companies and for profit hospitals are in the mix cost will be at least double what they should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies