Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 07:12 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,272,784 times

Advertisements

In all honesty, this whole "oil companies are evil" thing is really hilarious. Yeah, all those oil company workers with families of 4, 5, 6 children at home are reeeaaal evil. Making all that money so they can put their kids through college-- how dare they!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 11:35 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,192,978 times
LOL, not complaining, life's been good to us. just being honest that she really didn't deserve how much they gave her. The retirement match, the health care benefits, the time off, the bonuses nothing like any place I ever worked. Her "buyout" when she left BP was one and half years of pay and a lifetime retiree health care policy that her co-pay was less than $100 a month until recently. Tell me another private sector employer that was handing out 18 month buyouts. When she moved to the job she retired from, at a hospital, she took a 45% pay cut doing the exact same work.

Fact is, BP and many of the big oil companies are flush with cash and are burning through it like drunken sailors. FYI, you do understand that that is our MONEY, the money we pay them every week at the pump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Oh so your beef is that oil companies pay their employees well? Oh heaven help that an oil company will pay their employees a good wage. You would rather live in a communist country where the government dictates what people are paid? Move to Venezuela.

I can't believe your wife made 100K and you are complaining about it, you should be writing the oil companies thank you notes every day.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:00 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,917,756 times
Quote:
Oh so your beef is that oil companies pay their employees well? Oh heaven help that an oil company will pay their employees a good wage. You would rather live in a communist country where the government dictates what people are paid? Move to Venezuela.

I can't believe your wife made 100K and you are complaining about it, you should be writing the oil companies thank you notes every day.
I find it interesting that the same people who complain about public sector wages and benefits have no complaints about oil companies, who are taking tax-payer money, when they pay high wages and benefits. Not that this is hypocrisy or anything. Just saying.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
LOL, not complaining, life's been good to us. just being honest that she really didn't deserve how much they gave her. The retirement match, the health care benefits, the time off, the bonuses nothing like any place I ever worked. Her "buyout" when she left BP was one and half years of pay and a lifetime retiree health care policy that her co-pay was less than $100 a month until recently. Tell me another private sector employer that was handing out 18 month buyouts. When she moved to the job she retired from, at a hospital, she took a 45% pay cut doing the exact same work.

Fact is, BP and many of the big oil companies are flush with cash and are burning through it like drunken sailors. FYI, you do understand that that is our MONEY, the money we pay them every week at the pump.
Well then she probably should have been paid less and was overlooked. This type of thing can happen in a large company. It is the same with Walmart, Apple, GE...etc.

Lets not generalize and assume that all 10,000 oil companies in America act that way. And people please realize-- there are other oil companies besides BP, Exxon, Shell, Conoco, and Chevron!

Old 05-13-2011, 12:12 PM

Also, I don't see a problem with a company paying their employees well (when they are successful).

The alternative is for the CEO to keep all the money-- would you rather that happen?

Old 05-14-2011, 10:18 AM

i am not singling her out, saying she was the only one being overpaid, almost everyone working at Sohio was WAY overpaid. she didn't fall through the cracks for 30 some years.... That was one of the things that lead to BP taking them over. Turned out BP was just as bad.
Quote:
Well then she probably should have been paid less and was overlooked. This type of thing can happen in a large company. It is the same with Walmart, Apple, GE...etc.

Lets not generalize and assume that all 10,000 oil companies in America act that way. And people please realize-- there are other oil companies besides BP, Exxon, Shell, Conoco, and Chevron!

Old 05-14-2011, 10:21 AM

no, I'd rather they keep costs down and sell their products for less.
Quote:
Also, I don't see a problem with a company paying their employees well (when they are successful).

The alternative is for the CEO to keep all the money-- would you rather that happen?

Old 05-14-2011, 10:38 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,312,279 times
Now that Obamacare has passed into law, Oil is the next sector of business that the Obama admin wants to trout out to publicly crap on. Remember those evil health insurance companies that were raping the public by earning an even more evil 3-4% profit? OH, the horrors!

Old 05-14-2011, 10:40 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,675,147 times
Quote:
In all honesty, this whole "oil companies are evil" thing is really hilarious. Yeah, all those oil company workers with families of 4, 5, 6 children at home are reeeaaal evil. Making all that money so they can put their kids through college-- how dare they!
I woulod bet his wife is like all thsoe auto workers who for years that said the same of the auto inductry. Disgruntled workers ;pure and simple. I bet every wroker except his wife is lazy in her opinion.Maybe she needs to go work on a offshore oil rig or in a filed on a drillig platform to see just how lazy.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:36 PM

I'll take those bets tex, because you haven't got a clue. My wife is an extremely hardworking person. That is one of the reasons she was one of the last regular employee to go in Cleveland. After that they asked her to contract for them in Houston. If she wanted to move there she could have kept her job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I woulod bet his wife is like all thsoe auto workers who for years that said the same of the auto inductry. Disgruntled workers ;pure and simple. I bet every wroker except his wife is lazy in her opinion.Maybe she needs to go work on a offshore oil rig or in a filed on a drillig platform to see just how lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies