Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 12:27 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,871,425 times

Advertisements

Following 30 years of legal hoops a symbolic justice has been served. He was freed upon appeal following conviction in a German court.

Demjanjuk war crimes conviction caps 30-year battle - CNN.com

Ukraine welcomes Nazi guard's conviction < German news | Expatica Germany

It is important that the world never forget the atrocities of the Holocaust lest they be repeated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 07:00 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,933,140 times
He's from my area and I've been hearing about this case since I was a small child. Don't know a ton about the case but always had my doubts about his guilt. I mean, it's taken three decades to convict him and I question the ability of eyewitnesses to accurately remember things 60 + years later.

Hey, if he is guilty I say hang the scumbag but I'm just not sure.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:22 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,712,610 times
Maybe he will turn states evidence and name George Soros as his partner.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:23 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,298,057 times
I can't believe the light sentence they gave him! I don't care if he is old, the punishment should have fit the crime! Why go through a trial and just slap him on the hand?

Old 05-13-2011, 08:25 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,185,036 times
I've been hearing about this case for at least 25 years and if the evidence is so flimsy that they cannot get a conviction until now, I have serious doubts that he is even guilty, even by virtue of the circumstances that existed at that time.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:38 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,295,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I can't believe the light sentence they gave him! I don't care if he is old, the punishment should have fit the crime! Why go through a trial and just slap him on the hand?

First of all the title of the thread is a little misleading. He was first convicted of being Ivan the terrible and sentenced to death in Israel (they don't have the death penalty in Israel but the one exception is for Nazis). Later on he was cleared when new evidence was presented.
The most recent trial was for being a guard at a concentration camp in Poland for 6 months. Before that he fought in the Soviet army and was captured. He agreed to work for the Nazis as a camp guard. I would think that the Russians would want to try him for treason since he switched sides in the middle of a war but whatever.
Now to look at exactly what he did and what punishment it should entail. He was a prisoner of war and took an offer to work as a prison guard. Many people who were sitting in prison (and Soviet prisoners in Nazi Germany lived under very bad conditions) would jump at the chance for their freedom in exchange for pulling guard duty at another prison camp. I can hardly blame someone for that. There is no evidence that he killed anyone, only that hid walked his rounds and performed regular guard duties. He probably didn't even do it with much enthusiasm.
What should be his punishment for being a prison guard? He has already lost his American citizenship and now has citizenship in no country. He is 92 years old and has lived without committing crimes while in America so he is clearly not a threat to anyone. His reputation and name have been trashed. All this and noone is even accusing him of being personally involved with the deaths of those at the camp while he was there. They only say he was a guard.
He will never serve another day in prison (he sat in an Israeli prison for eight years awaiting death when they thought he was Ivan the Terrible) due to his age and the fact tha appeals will go on until he is dead.
As another poster alluded to above, George Soros was a Nazi collaborator and made his first fortune off of the wealth of dead Jews (his FELLOW Jews at that) but no one is calling for him to be put on trial.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:38 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,966,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
He's from my area and I've been hearing about this case since I was a small child. Don't know a ton about the case but always had my doubts about his guilt. I mean, it's taken three decades to convict him and I question the ability of eyewitnesses to accurately remember things 60 + years later.

Hey, if he is guilty I say hang the scumbag but I'm just not sure.

This is about how I feel. I remember when this came up in the 80s as well. It was big headlines in Northeast Ohio.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:45 AM

38,636 posts, read 26,325,974 times
[quote=rogerbacon;19135498]First of all the title of the thread is a little misleading. He was first convicted of being Ivan the terrible and sentenced to death in Israel (they don't have the death penalty in Israel but the one exception is for Nazis). Later on he was cleared when new evidence was presented.
The most recent trial was for being a guard at a concentration camp in Poland for 6 months. Before that he fought in the Soviet army and was captured. He agreed to work for the Nazis as a camp guard. I would think that the Russians would want to try him for treason since he switched sides in the middle of a war but whatever.
Now to look at exactly what he did and what punishment it should entail. He was a prisoner of war and took an offer to work as a prison guard. Many people who were sitting in prison (and Soviet prisoners in Nazi Germany lived under very bad conditions) would jump at the chance for their freedom in exchange for pulling guard duty at another prison camp. I can hardly blame someone for that. There is no evidence that he killed anyone, only that hid walked his rounds and performed regular guard duties. He probably didn't even do it with much enthusiasm.
What should be his punishment for being a prison guard? He has already lost his American citizenship and now has citizenship in no country. He is 92 years old and has lived without committing crimes while in America so he is clearly not a threat to anyone. His reputation and name have been trashed. All this and noone is even accusing him of being personally involved with the deaths of those at the camp while he was there. They only say he was a guard.
He will never serve another day in prison (he sat in an Israeli prison for eight years awaiting death when they thought he was Ivan the Terrible) due to his age and the fact tha appeals will go on until he is dead.
As another poster alluded to above, George Soros was a Nazi collaborator and made his first fortune off of the wealth of dead Jews (his FELLOW Jews at that) but no one is calling for him to be put on trial.

I am.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:49 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,624,060 times
Such is life when you work for the losing side. I have no love loss for Nazi's or their sympathizers. He is being made an example. A sacrificial lamb so to speak.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:07 PM

25,956 posts, read 24,692,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Following 30 years of legal hoops a symbolic justice has been served. He was freed upon appeal following conviction in a German court.

Demjanjuk war crimes conviction caps 30-year battle - CNN.com

Ukraine welcomes Nazi guard's conviction < German news | Expatica Germany

It is important that the world never forget the atrocities of the Holocaust lest they be repeated.
Similar atrocities have long been repeated since then...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies