Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 07:06 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWS View Post
Ive NEVER seen a black female/white male couple in the UK. Where do you get the 30% figure from?

Are you sure its not for all non-whites. I see indian/chinese women with white men. NEVER a black woman though.
What part of the UK do you live in, and what parts of the UK have you been to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 07:06 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Yeah, black women get a little weird about interracial dating. I don't quite understand why, but whatever. Not my business.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:16 PM

I would say that interracial marriage is more accepted in the UK than in the USA. The UK has had a long history of inter-ethnic and interracial marriage. As far as I know, there were not laws against interracial marriage in the UK.The USA has had laws against interracial marriages in many states, especially in the Deep South, which might be the legacy of slavery. The Deep South was the last part of the USA to repeal its laws against interracial marriage, in 1967. Interracial marriage was legal in all of the UK as far as I know long before then.

While the UK definitely has its share of racism and discrimination, I would say that the UK generally has been more accepting of interracial marriage than the USA has ever been.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:25 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
I don't know where you are but in my city interracial dating, marriage and kids are common. No one gives it a glance or a second thought. There are at least three mixed couples within a block or two of my house in an upscale burb and the schools here have mixed race kids in every class. It's the 21st century, people.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:26 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Yes it's more accepted, blacks in the UK don't walk around with chips on their shoulders thinking the world owes them and the only way to get ahead is:

~ be a rapper

~ be a drug dealer

~ be a football player

~ be a basketball player

Blacks in the UK are treated as equals because they act like they are a part of society, unlike America....

Old 12-31-2012, 07:28 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
I dated a black british woman fairly recently. She didn't date white guys when she lived in England and she didn't date them when she moved to America. I very much enjoyed our relationship and we remain friends. I cannot say the same about any of the Black American or Black Caribbean women I have dated. British women are miles ahead of American women when it comes to navigating the tricky shoals of lust, love and licentious living. I pulled the trigger for another Brit (white) immediately after that experience. I might draw some (f)ire if I observe that, in the main, American women lack a sense of humor and black women not only lack a sense of humor but ride the thin line between surliness and anger a good deal more of the time than is healthy. If I was wrong about that I would know, because black women would be able to show me the statistics for their success in love and marriage and tell me where to take my opinions... ... they can do that anyway, but the numbers don't lie. I've got Brtish male cousins who are married to white women. I do not have any British female cousins who have ever even dated a white guy once. If that really is the premise of the o.p. s/he should say so. As it stands the thread title is misleading. But, as I understand it, the black/white thing with respect to most matters like employment, office camaraderie, dating/marriage, or church attendance is less racially conscious than the United States.

H

Old 12-31-2012, 07:45 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't know where you are but in my city interracial dating, marriage and kids are common. No one gives it a glance or a second thought. There are at least three mixed couples within a block or two of my house in an upscale burb and the schools here have mixed race kids in every class. It's the 21st century, people.
Blacks have been living with whites in America since Colonial times. Blacks were, for the longest time, America's largest non-white minority. You wouldn't think so. In 2012 the black/white interracial union is the smallest percent of any kind of interracial grouping to be found in the U.S. People absolutely do give it a second thought, and mostly they opt to pass on the opportunity to find love in a black/white pairing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Yes it's more accepted, blacks in the UK don't walk around with chips on their shoulders thinking the world owes them and the only way to get ahead is:

~ be a rapper

~ be a drug dealer

~ be a football player

~ be a basketball player

Blacks in the UK are treated as equals because they act like they are a part of society, unlike America....
Blacks in the UK are NOT treated as equals because of anything they do or do not do. Your racial bias is showing. You've decided that blacks in America act the way they do intrinsically. It has never occurred to you that black behavior is formed in large part by the ostracism, the alienation... the exclusion from participation in the Democracy. In actual fact, the reality is that a black man IS more likely to achieve success by focusing on music or sports than by persevering at Accountancy. There are long odds against a basketball career but the odds of a black person finding gainful employment in the workplace at large are about as long. There are some pretty surly Asians and Hispanics but white people don't say that "they have chips on their shoulders". If a black man does anything other than grin he is "angry". U.K. whites decided that they would not ostracise their African diaspora and thus those emigrates assimilated more easily into the British culture. American whites decided that they would ostracise their African diaspora and thus those descendants of freed slaves incubated their own culture within a culture. Its really that simple.

H

Old 12-31-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

~ be a rapper

~ be a drug dealer

~ be a football player

~ be a basketball player

Actually, you have it a bit wrong. Granted, Blacks had it better in the UK, but Blacks faced discrimination in the UK as well. You didn't have the Jim Crow laws in the UK. However, you did have discrimination and urban blight. And contrary to what you believe, there are Black people in the UK who ascribed to the 4 things you just listed. There is an underclass in the Black British community. Go read about Brixton, Toxteth, and some of the riots that occurred in the UK.

1980 St. Pauls riot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1981 Brixton riot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1981 Chapeltown Caribbean riot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1981 Toxteth riots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1985 Handsworth riots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It if obvious that you don't understand the history of this nation. Blacks have never been treated as equals in the USA. Blacks were brought to this nation BY FORCE, enslaved, subjected to Jim Crow segregation laws, subjected to police brutality. If you look at the history of this nation, Blacks were always treated badly.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:51 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, you have it a bit wrong. Granted, Blacks had it better in the UK, but Blacks faced discrimination in the UK as well. You didn't have the Jim Crow laws in the UK. However, you did have discrimination and urban blight. And contrary to what you believe, there are Black people in the UK who ascribed to the 4 things you just listed. There is an underclass in the Black British community. Go read about Brixton, Toxteth, and some of the riots that occurred in the UK.

1980 St. Pauls riot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1981 Brixton riot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1981 Chapeltown Caribbean riot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1981 Toxteth riots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1985 Handsworth riots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It if obvious that you don't understand the history of this nation. Blacks have never been treated as equals in the USA. Blacks were brought to this nation BY FORCE, enslaved, subjected to Jim Crow segregation laws, subjected to police brutality. If you look at the history of this nation, Blacks were always treated badly.

why are you wasting time replying to him. hes just race baiting for replies.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:06 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBee2010 View Post
Didn't the same dynamics exist under British colonial rule in Africa and the Caribbean? Interestingly, many black British women and white British men do not seem to have the same issues as their American counterparts...

White men in America face violence from black men if they hit on black women.

They also face potential law suits if they do it at work.

You can bring a black female to a white neighborhood and all is fine, but if a white guy goes to a black neighborhood to pick-up his black female date...OH SH*T!!! Someone is gonna die!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies