Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 06:07 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
A lot say that Jews deserve reparations, but why don't blacks deserve them? I mean blacks were slaves under a brutal slavery system for 400 years. Look at how Jim Crow prevented blacks in the south from uplifting themselves to move up the social ladder. The psychological damage that was caused by oppression generations years ago still affect blacks today.
Oh please! We Irish were treated less than dogs in the 1800's. Where is mine?
Why should blacks, or any other race get something? When will it end?

Old 05-12-2011, 06:16 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Get over it. You were paid with blood of several hundred thousand Union soldiers who fought and died for your freedom.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:23 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Throwing money at poverty never fixes the underlying problem. If you have not noticed, there are a plethura of programs to help the needy already. If the programs are not working, how will even more money help? It will not. The problem resides in the mindset of those in poverty. Virtually everyone knows what it takes to have moderate success in life, hard work and education. Both are readily available to the able, yet perpetually poor if they so choose to take advantage. The ball is in their court. I say take away the crutches so they can learn how to walk on their own! If you give a large segment of the population just enough to survive, which we tend to do, many of that segment will choose that life over cultivating their ambitions.
That is very true and handouts are an temporary solution. I don't even live in america and I live in an country where the original inhabbitants are thrown lots of money in the anticipation it will solve their poverty problems but this is unworkable.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:23 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Are you not whining right now about this?

See the China debt question.

The children and grandchildren are responsible to the victims' family so long as the amount of support provided by the victim to his family has been successfully provided. Once that is done, it is not longer an issue. In this case, we are looking at the monetary problems. Monetary problems cannot just be waived away. The social aspect can help be repaired by solving the monetary problems.

I agree with most of this... the problem is that poverty is passed down generationally, and lack of education breeds that type of reinforcement at home. This is one reason why I fully support removing funding of schools by the school's local property tax. Students across a state should be funded the same amount.

Poverty is always passed down generationally unless it is solved. Children aren't born with money coming out of their hands.

You are a symptom of the plight that individualism has razed across this country... the feeling that an individual is not responsible at all for a mass decision that has been made. It's like those people who put bumper stickers on their cars that say "Don't blame me, I voted for Kerry/McCain"... doesn't matter that you did. Neither Kerry nor McCain are in office.
Nope...not whining at all.

I will keep my money and everyone eles can do the same.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:28 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
If Reparations must be paid, shouldn't they be paid by the Slave States that are so busy celebrating maiming and torturing other humans

Old 05-12-2011, 07:30 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
If Reparations must be paid, shouldn't they be paid by the Slave States that are so busy celebrating maiming and torturing other humans
Does this make any sense to someone who isn't on drugs?

Old 05-12-2011, 07:49 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Because the Jews who were persecuted, thrown in camps, and saw their families murdered by NAZIs are STILL ALIVE TODAY and they receive payments from the German Government because they are still alive.

The German GOVERNMENT CONFISCATED BANK ACCOUNTS, INSURANCE, PERSONAL ART POSESSIONS from the victims of the Holocaust which in today's money would be priceless. YES THEY SHOULD GET PAID.

The Jews who got reparations aren't being paid reparations for SLAVE LABOR you know. Or maybe you didn't know that. They're not being paid because people were killed. They're being paid for their personal wealth that was confiscated. NOT PAIN AND SUFFERING PAYMENTS.

They're getting paid because in nations where they lived the banks that confiscated THEIR MONEY BUILT THE CONCENTRATION CAMPS THAT KILLED THEIR FAMILIES! You probably didn't even know that!

NOBODY in this country was an owned slave and worked on a plantation.

Everyone who was a slave is DEAD today. ALL OF THEM ARE DEAD.

If someone can come to this country from VIETNAM without a penny in 1974, pick themselves up from the very bottom of society, have a family, and own a company and be a success in the United States today, for damn certain anybody who is a descendant of a slave that died over 100 years ago can.

Some "black" people are their own worst enemy.

The Government of the United States doesn't owe you a dime. But you owe everything including your life today - to your ancestors who came before you to make a success out of your life without asking for a handout.
You sound like you have a lot of contempt for Germany and I think I saw that you lived there one time.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:51 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
A lot say that Jews deserve reparations, but why don't blacks deserve them? I mean blacks were slaves under a brutal slavery system for 400 years. Look at how Jim Crow prevented blacks in the south from uplifting themselves to move up the social ladder. The psychological damage that was caused by oppression generations years ago still affect blacks today.

give me your address.............. I'll send you a couple bucks to drop it.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:52 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Does this make any sense to someone who isn't on drugs?

No, but I may resort to drugs so I can read it.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:52 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Get over it. You were paid with blood of several hundred thousand Union soldiers who fought and died for your freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies