Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2011, 08:34 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
We will never be able to solve problems for people who don't want and willingly refuse help. I've never owned slaves, I've never known anyone who has nor have I ever met anyone of any skin color who was a slave or knew anyone who had been a slave. If the Unites States gave reparations to blacks what percentage of that money do you think would get used wisely to help these people get themselves out of poverty and in better living conditions? How much of it do you think would get wasted on things that lead people into deeper poverty? Yeah... if you're honest with yourself you know those percentages are probably close to 50/50 if we're lucky.
So, basically, you're going ahead and saying that Black Americans won't spend the money wisely? And that that is the reason why no reparations should be offered?

Old 12-21-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Throwing money at poverty never fixes the underlying problem. If you have not noticed, there are a plethura of programs to help the needy already. If the programs are not working, how will even more money help? It will not. The problem resides in the mindset of those in poverty. Virtually everyone knows what it takes to have moderate success in life, hard work and education. Both are readily available to the able, yet perpetually poor if they so choose to take advantage. The ball is in their court. I say take away the crutches so they can learn how to walk on their own! If you give a large segment of the population just enough to survive, which we tend to do, many of that segment will choose that life over cultivating their ambitions.
Why is talk of reparations to Black Americans automatically related to poverty? How can the first words in your post talk about "throwing money at poverty" as if every Black American that is to receive reparations is in poverty? You then continue to condescendingly talk about these people and how the ball is in their court?

I think it is wrong to automatically relate reparations given to Black Americans as some attempt to "help" them or "free" them from poverty. How about the fact that the reparations were due and were given in the same manner as those given to Native Americans? I don't hear all of this assumption of poverty and "help" when people talk about what was given to Native Americans. Why do people always assume that anything that is to be given to Black Americans in relation to U.S. Slavery is just to "help" Black Americans or to give them opportunity. How about realizing that many Black Americans are simply smart enough not to allowed the historical moves by the United States go uncorrected. This country was built on forced labor, how can that go without payback?

Old 12-21-2011, 08:44 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
I agree. Modern poverty is not the issue. If you basically enslaved and destroyed the families and removed the earning ability of a whole group of people through abuse and lack of education, how can you release them in a capitalistic country without some quantum of capital?

Old 12-21-2011, 08:58 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,513 times
I think every African American with slave blood (this excludes Obama) should be given a 12-pack of Sprite and a $20 coupon to eat at Red Lobster at taxpayer expense. We'll call it even.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:03 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,238,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
It's not just Jewish people either, Native Americans got "We're sorry" from the government. I'm not asking for reparations, but I never did understand how Black Americans were overlooked as basically being forced into behavior. The same could be said for Japanese people, they were locked up in camps during WWII, they had to shut down their businesses and were at loss in money. Why were reparations and paybacks given to Native Americans but none of the other groups? It's odd to me, maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem too fair.
The Japanese American Citizens League actually lobbied for a reparations bill in the late 70's. They were ultimately successful. Internment reparations totaled at least a billion under the Civil Liberties Act of 1988.

The legacy of African-American enslavement and subsequent government-sponsored oppression is the only widespread historical injustice against American citizens that has not been accorded direct economic redress. Of course any attempt to do so indirectly via policies like affirmative action are immediately decried as unwarranted and unfair.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:15 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
The Japanese American Citizens League actually lobbied for a reparations bill in the late 70's. They were ultimately successful. Internment reparations totaled at least a billion under the Civil Liberties Act of 1988.

The legacy of African-American enslavement and subsequent government-sponsored oppression is the only widespread historical injustice against American citizens that has not been accorded direct economic redress. Of course any attempt to do so indirectly via policies like affirmative action are immediately decried as unwarranted and unfair.
Do you think it was the lobbying that got the Japanese Americans their reparations or do you think it had more to do with repairing trade relations and improving ties with Japan (and showing Japan that America isn't racist towards them) that helped get that law passed?

Old 12-21-2011, 10:21 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
My ancestors in Britain were enslaved by the Norman French in 1066. They were brutally oppressed. I should be be given 40 acres of land in Normandy and a horse.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnyc View Post
How about reparations in the form of a plane ticket to the African country of their choosing (as long as it is on the West Coast of Africa and an area slaves came from)?
How about Liberia, since that is exactly what the country was created for?

Old 12-21-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
All of a sudden that Cherokee princess that White folks claim is in their family tree will disappear and turn into an African princess.
Mine was Commanche. I don't think she would have wanted to be an African.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnyc View Post
How about reparations in the form of a plane ticket to the African country of their choosing (as long as it is on the West Coast of Africa and an area slaves came from)?

This way, those who want to go 'home' can do so and live free of the oppressive and evil White man who holds them back. They could live life in PARADISE in the successful African countries where education is free and technology is in abundance.
Ohhhhhh, this is SarahNYC who once posted in the New York City forum that she didn't want to live near Black Americans. Go figure you would post this. You have a dark, black heart and soul and you will suffer because of that through your hate and ignorance. Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies