Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 04:04 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times

Advertisements

Whenever you talk about the government paying reparations to anyone, remember that the government is just a very powerful force that confiscates money from working people. The rich don't pay taxes, never have, and never will. They make the rules and have ZERO ethics or morals.

Since I have never robbed from anyone, I should not be taxed to pay "reparations" to anyone. Of course, since our massive government spend-and-tax system is a massive transfer of wealth to a virtual feeding frenzy of parasites, there can never be any sanity until the whole thing collapses (and I don't include the Social Security recipients who were forced to pay in full for this program, when it would have been far more fair--and still solvent--if we just were allowed to save that money ourselves).

Old 05-12-2011, 04:07 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
We will never be able to solve problems for people who don't want and willingly refuse help. I've never owned slaves, I've never known anyone who has nor have I ever met anyone of any skin color who was a slave or knew anyone who had been a slave. If the Unites States gave reparations to blacks what percentage of that money do you think would get used wisely to help these people get themselves out of poverty and in better living conditions? How much of it do you think would get wasted on things that lead people into deeper poverty? Yeah... if you're honest with yourself you know those percentages are probably close to 50/50 if we're lucky.
Reparations don't have to come as blank checks for people to spend with as they wish. In fact, that would do more damage than good to society.

The point is to create the conditions where success is not only possible, but that it is believable. Right now, that is not the case. Right now, many in this group do not believe they have a chance at success because society has boxed them into a corner and left them there to rot.

Changing the way schools are funded is a good start. Instead of funding based on the school's local property tax, have it evenly distributed by the states across the board. This ensures that underprivileged, poor minority areas get the same quality of education as everyone else. Putting funding into smart advertisement campaigns showing younger minority members the paths to success is also a good road to travel down, including local education about things such as pell grants. Voluntary rehabilitation centers that offer conditional jobs is yet another thing we can do for those who are older and already in trouble.

There is so much we can do that we haven't done yet. It is the wrong approach to sit there, point fingers at them, and say that "they are lazy, won't get off their butts to improve their situation." That kind of attitude shows extreme ignorance towards the true sources of the problem.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Because the Jews who were persecuted, thrown in camps, and saw their families murdered by NAZIs are STILL ALIVE TODAY and they receive payments from the German Government because they are still alive.

The German GOVERNMENT CONFISCATED BANK ACCOUNTS, INSURANCE, PERSONAL ART POSESSIONS from the victims of the Holocaust which in today's money would be priceless. YES THEY SHOULD GET PAID.

The Jews who got reparations aren't being paid reparations for SLAVE LABOR you know. Or maybe you didn't know that.

NOBODY in this country was an owned slave and worked on a plantation.

Everyone who was a slave is DEAD today. ALL OF THEM ARE DEAD.

If someone can come to this country from VIETNAM without a penny in 1974, pick themselves up from the very bottom of society, have a family, and own a company and be a success in the United States today, for damn certain anybody who is a descendant of a slave that died over 100 years ago can.

Some "black" people are their own worst enemy.

The Government of the United States doesn't owe you a dime. But you owe everything including your life today - to your ancestors who came before you to make a success out of your life without asking for a handout.

This is the problem with America today. People don't think that descendants should be responsible in solving the problems created by their forefathers. It's why we have left a massive debt to younger generations.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:13 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Doesn't matter. The proof is there that the current poverty and living conditions of both African Americans and Native Americans are directly as a result of discrimination, slavery, and general abuse that our forefathers are responsible for.

It doesn't matter that we aren't responsible for it. What matters is how we decide to solve the problems.
What about those of us whose ancestors immigrated here within the past 100 years? Why should I be responsible for things that happened before I was alive, before my ancestors got here, and to whom am I to pay?

Old 05-12-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Whenever you talk about the government paying reparations to anyone, remember that the government is just a very powerful force that confiscates money from working people. The rich don't pay taxes, never have, and never will. They make the rules and have ZERO ethics or morals.

Since I have never robbed from anyone, I should not be taxed to pay "reparations" to anyone. Of course, since our massive government spend-and-tax system is a massive transfer of wealth to a virtual feeding frenzy of parasites, there can never be any sanity until the whole thing collapses (and I don't include the Social Security recipients who were forced to pay in full for this program, when it would have been far more fair--and still solvent--if we just were allowed to save that money ourselves).
With respect to social security... the point of it... and the reasons why it was created... are that people aren't responsible enough to save the money on their own... and the ones who do, and invest in the market, have a good chance of losing that savings when a stock market crash happens. Sure, it sounds great to be able to save that money with an even greater amount of return by the time you retire... but the odds of that happening are extremely slim for most people, and the vast majority who will suffer will end up being an even greater burden on society.

The problem with social security is that politicians have abused the fund to pay for other things such as tax cuts. If it were properly funded and left alone, it would be fine.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:16 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
i'm left handed, and i demand to be compensated for having to use 3-ring binders in school which were designed for right handers. I have decreased earning power now due to my minority status in school.

Last edited by le roi; 05-12-2011 at 05:01 PM..

Old 05-12-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
What about those of us whose ancestors immigrated here within the past 100 years? Why should I be responsible for things that happened before I was alive, before my ancestors got here, and to whom am I to pay?
You're still responsible for it, as when you or your ancestors gained citizenship, you agreed to be partly responsible for all debts that the nation as a whole owes. While you aren't responsible for back-payments (payments made from the time payments started to the time you or they immigrated), you are responsible for payments moving forward.

It's like when you join an organization that requires membership dues. If that organization is in debt, your dues are responsible for helping pay that debt. Your dues do not ignore that debt and pay for anything after that debt was accumulated.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:19 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,851,320 times
Quote:
Reparations don't have to come as blank checks for people to spend with as they wish. In fact, that would do more damage than good to society.

The point is to create the conditions where success is not only possible, but that it is believable. Right now, that is not the case. Right now, many in this group do not believe they have a chance at success because society has boxed them into a corner and left them there to rot.

Changing the way schools are funded is a good start. Instead of funding based on the school's local property tax, have it evenly distributed by the states across the board. This ensures that underprivileged, poor minority areas get the same quality of education as everyone else. Putting funding into smart advertisement campaigns showing younger minority members the paths to success is also a good road to travel down, including local education about things such as pell grants. Voluntary rehabilitation centers that offer conditional jobs is yet another thing we can do for those who are older and already in trouble.

There is so much we can do that we haven't done yet. It is the wrong approach to sit there, point fingers at them, and say that "they are lazy, won't get off their butts to improve their situation." That kind of attitude shows extreme ignorance towards the true sources of the problem.
You're right, we should do innovative and creative things that have never been done before to help black people rise up out of poverty... We should provide government grants to children to attend college... we should subsidize housing for people who otherwise would live in extreme poverty... we should feed children through free lunch programs in public school and social programs in the community... We should provide for job training in areas of great poverty and even provide childcare for single mothers who want an education or job training.

Imagine what this country would look like if we just spent a few million on things like that...

Old 05-12-2011, 04:20 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
A lot say that Jews deserve reparations, but why don't blacks deserve them? I mean blacks were slaves under a brutal slavery system for 400 years. Look at how Jim Crow prevented blacks in the south from uplifting themselves to move up the social ladder. The psychological damage that was caused by oppression generations years ago still affect blacks today.
How about a little something for the ancestors of the men who died freeing the slaves????

Old 05-12-2011, 04:21 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,851,320 times
Quote:
You're still responsible for it, as when you or your ancestors gained citizenship, you agreed to be partly responsible for all debts that the nation as a whole owes. While you aren't responsible for back-payments (payments made from the time payments started to the time you or they immigrated), you are responsible for payments moving forward.

It's like when you join an organization that requires membership dues. If that organization is in debt, your dues are responsible for helping pay that debt. Your dues do not ignore that debt and pay for anything after that debt was accumulated.
We've long since paid off that debt to anyone who might have in any way been affected by slavery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies