Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 08:54 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Excuse me, but my local Texaco and Circle K needs night security too. Guess what? They PAY for it. The U.S. Army and Navy doesn't show up on the scene free of charge when a problem occurs. Same for every other business in this town that needs security. And they pay actual TAXES for the local police force.

Exxon isn't subsidizing security in this town, so why should i subsidize their security because they're taking risks in foreign countries by providing them an Army and Navy?

Now i realize that security is needed for the free flow of oil, but then i want cheap oil. Why is that too much to ask?
Excellent argument!

Not only do they destroy the planet, they work in concert with political families that have a vested financial interest in their bottom line (Bush/Cheney) that make up lies to send young American's to their deaths so these oil companies can gain access to Iraqi crude, to name only one U.S. outpost (the Middle East is dotted with U.S. bases all throughout)

All this so these corporations can poison the planet and make record profits.

Yea, I'm convinced now, keep giving them tax breaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 08:57 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Dem. Senator's grill oil execs while Republicans whine
When are they going to grill GE?

Old 05-12-2011, 09:06 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Excellent argument!

Not only do they destroy the planet, they work in concert with political families that have a vested financial interest in their bottom line (Bush/Cheney) that make up lies to send young American's to their deaths so these oil companies can gain access to Iraqi crude, to name only one U.S. outpost (the Middle East is dotted with U.S. bases all throughout)

All this so these corporations can poison the planet and make record profits.

Yea, I'm convinced now, keep giving them tax breaks.
Actually, they find it, recover it, and sell it.

You drive your car. You are the one destroying the planet. You are the one emitting CO2.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:07 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
When are they going to grill GE?
They won't, the democrats are in GE's pockets (especially Obama)

Obama said he would put an end to lobbying in Washington controlling things... then he brought a bunch of ex-lobbyists into his administration. Obama is a liar. He hasn't done anything to help America. All his policies hurt the economy. He is the sole reason the unemployment rate is so high. He is the worst president in history.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:17 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
...is that legitimate deductions available to any enterprise in the country have been transformed into "taxpayer subsidies" and "tax breaks" when it comes to one of our vital industries.

Would it be fair to deny the mortgage interest deduction to any person with blue eyes? This is the same principle.

All this is entirely in keeping with the Democratic war on equal treatment under the law.
Oh please. What homeowner gets depletion tax breaks? Or even depreciation tax breaks? Leasing of Federal land at subsidized rates or for nominal rates? Individual well owners don't get the same tax breaks as big oil. I can't deduct intererst on personal loans, yet business can. Businesses can deduct their taxes paid for gas, I can't, they can deduct the cost of their insurance, I can't. The list goes on and on. If you were to just put a flat tax on business and a fair progressive tax on individuals, the budget would balance.

If you want the tax breaks, then you have to admit to govt interference and the choosing of winners and loosers. I thought that was what the GOP was against.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:20 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Actually, they find it, recover it, and sell it.

You drive your car. You are the one destroying the planet. You are the one emitting CO2.
I havent driven a car since January, and were it not for the suppression of electric car technology, I'd be driving a zero emissions vehicle today.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:27 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
They won't, the democrats are in GE's pockets (especially Obama)

Obama said he would put an end to lobbying in Washington controlling things... then he brought a bunch of ex-lobbyists into his administration. Obama is a liar. He hasn't done anything to help America. All his policies hurt the economy. He is the sole reason the unemployment rate is so high. He is the worst president in history.
Exactly right. It was a rhetorical question.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:30 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Yea...we do pay for airline security. And i've got a major problem with that too. I didn't at first, but they started kicking the Air Marshalls around and i've had a change of heart. Yea...they should hire their own security too.

As for what i said about Texaco and Circle K...i KNOW the cops show up. But guess what...they pay taxes for the police to show up along with paying for their own private security. So they're double taxed.

What security do the oil companies pay for? Enough to cover our ME involvement to ensure that their business model remains uninhibited?
Your whole argument falls flat on its face the minute you fail to recongize that oil companies do hire their own security.

In fact they've been sued for doing so..
John Doe I v. ExxonMobile, Case No. 01CV01357
Quote:
Again, you don't believe in small government. You want big government for a certain group of people (oil companies), but God forbid someone collects a food stamp.
I sure do want small government, but part of the governments responsibility is national defense. Yes, protection of our interest, including our corporations, is part of national defense. Try reading the Constitution..

Last edited by pghquest; 05-12-2011 at 09:39 PM..

Old 05-12-2011, 09:37 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
Oh please. What homeowner gets depletion tax breaks? Or even depreciation tax breaks? Leasing of Federal land at subsidized rates or for nominal rates? Individual well owners don't get the same tax breaks as big oil. I can't deduct intererst on personal loans, yet business can. Businesses can deduct their taxes paid for gas, I can't, they can deduct the cost of their insurance, I can't. The list goes on and on. If you were to just put a flat tax on business and a fair progressive tax on individuals, the budget would balance.

If you want the tax breaks, then you have to admit to govt interference and the choosing of winners and loosers. I thought that was what the GOP was against.
Oh please, yourself! The reference was to unequal treatment under the law. The Big Five do NOT get depletion deductions. The other supposed "subsidies" are available to a wide variety of industries. To pick out one industry when it happens to be making a pile (as opposed to those down cycles where the prices are not favorable and they barely cover a poor return on capital invested) and slam the one industry is un-American.

This whole exercise was political posturing so the Dems could excite their economically illiterate followers, nothing more, nothing less.

If you want to get worked up about subsidies to energy, check out the massive government incentives for ethanol, an inferior fuel that could not be sold but for direct government subsidies, government mandates for its use, and a huge tariff designed to eliminate competition from economically sensible sources (like sugar ethanol from Brazil.) Or look into the huge taxpayer giveaways to the boondoggle of the century, wind power. But don't go to oil companies and say "The same tax rules applicable to every other enterprise are not for you; we don't like you so you are in for a screwing."

By the way, are you a user of gasoline? I am, and I sure appreciate the way it is available when and where I want it--thanks to the massive amounts of capital and people employed to meet my needs.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:54 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
^^^^^^Not even a single oz. of truth in the above post.

Witch hunting season already?

So GE shipping jobs to China and paying no taxes is OK, but oil companies which compete with one another to provide a vital product and do pay taxes are villains?

Anyone else see the irony in spending borrowed money on these sham investigations which serve no other purpose than to cover up the fact we are constantly devaluing the currency by spending borrowed money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies