Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 07:19 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Just a suggestion: Move from NY to Iowa or Nebraska or Oklahoma where the cost of living is a fraction of NY.
what an idiotic response. seriously? b/c moving almost across the country is so cheap and easy

let's see, most apartments require first month rent, last month, and a security deposit. That's typically the rent x three. if rent was $800/month, you'd need $2400 right up front. then add in the costs of moving from NY to these states, which could easily cost over $1,000 depending on how much you bring. even if you bring nothing but the clothes on your back, it will cost you nearly as much to furnish the new place.

now add in about 6 months of savings to cover rent and other necessities until you can find a job. based on a rent of $800/month, that's $4,600 just for the rent alone. figure $100/month for food and $200/month on average for utilities (since these are places that experience cold winters), and that's over $6K right there that you need to have up front before a move.

do you REALLY think people who qualify for food stamps have $6-7 grand just lying around in savings? seriously? I did a major move from MA-IL, it was not cheap! and that was back in '07 when I was able to find a job in less than 4 weeks. such a move these days would likely cost me quadruple what I saved up

and of course, you have people like NYChistorygal who has already stated that she lives w/ parents. these people likely don't pay rent or pay a reduced rate. you're suggesting they give up this secure housing and move to a new state? then add in the number of people on food stamps who are employed (they exist). do they quit their job and stop what little income they have to move to Nebraska? what, all so they can go off food stamps, pick up a hoe, and start a garden?

did you even think about the logistics of such a move before speaking?

Last edited by eevee; 05-13-2011 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 07:20 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Have you taken a look at this...?

What about this...?

It's not rocket science....who's using most of these "welfare benefits"?
I agree 100%. What happened to our immigration system, where we allowed only productive people in, who would contribute to our society?

Don't even get me started on the illegals...

Old 05-13-2011, 07:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I agree 100%. What happened to our immigration system, where we allowed only productive people in, who would contribute to our society?

Don't even get me started on the illegals...
Can you blame the illegals ?
Their kids get free education, free healthcare, free food and free spending money.

What would they get in their home country that comes near that ?

Old 05-13-2011, 07:34 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
ugh, another day, another anti-food stamps, anti-poor people thread on P&OC.

yes, there is corruption in the system. no, people should not be on FS for 10+ years continuously, but the way to solve the issue is NOT by forcing urban recipients into becoming farmers. w/ all the subsidies involved, it's cheaper to have a family on food stamps then it would be to provide them w/ the space, materials, and means to grow their own food.

good soil costs money. water costs money. fertilizer costs money. planters costs money. seeds costs money. the garden space itself costs money. training costs money. maintenance costs money. harvesting costs money. where do you think all this money is going to come from?

here's a brilliant idea for those who think this is a great idea: cut off food stamps benefits for those living in rural areas. people here seem so intent on thinking that the only people on FS are urban, criminal minorities and illegal immigrants. how about cutting the FS benefits to rural farmers and residents living in places like Nebraska and Oklahoma. tell them they are now responsible for growing all their own food. I mean, it should be easy for them, right? they likely already have the land, materials, and know-how in place, right?

once we've got the rural population growing all of their own foods, start w/ the suburbs, since they likely have the space needed. tell all the suburbanites on FS (yes, they exist) to start growing all of their own foods. once we've got the people who have the space needed to grow their own foods, then continue on w/ the urban FS recipients. since there are likely less people in rural/suburban areas on FS than urban recipients, they will make a good study group to see if it is even possible. if people if rural and suburban communities can't do it, it's unlikely those in cities will be able to.

community gardens are great ideas, but they are really meant to supplement one's diet, not be the bulk of it. people will still need to go shopping for food and for people who can't afford to do so, that's where FS come in

Old 05-13-2011, 07:34 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If people had to become more self sufficient, they would find a way to grow their own food, maybe through co-ops.

It would force recipient class people to become more productive citizens.
Michelle Obama is trying to do just that....get poor people interested in gardening and growing their own produce. Perhaps you forgot about the gardens she put in at the White House and the educational programs that she's put in place to go along with it? Many of you Republicans on this site have been complaining about it and twisting its purpose into something resembling Communism.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:47 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
what an idiotic response. seriously? b/c moving almost across the country is so cheap and easy

let's see, most apartments require first month rent, last month, and a security deposit. That's typically the rent x three.
I've never had to pay 3 months of rent at once, to rent an apartment. Most I've ever paid was 2 months (1 mo + deposit), least was 1 month's without any deposit.

Quote:
if rent was $800/month, you'd need $2400 right up front.
i've never paid $800 / mo for an apartment. 1br's run $500 /mo where I live, in an urban area, a few miles from the ocean. It is the most expensive metro area in the state. $800 / mo gets you a 3 bedroom house in a marginal but safe neighborhood , or a luxury apartment with granite and mahogany.

Quote:
then add in the costs of moving from NY to these states, which could easily cost over $1,000 depending on how much you bring.
i've never paid $1000 to move.

even if you don't own a vehicle capable of moving yourself, you can rent a truck for a few hundred bucks, or you can sell everything you own and buy a bus ticket.

Quote:
even if you bring nothing but the clothes on your back, it will cost you nearly as much to furnish the new place.
i've never needed to completely furnish the place in which i live. that is a luxury. i took my first job and moved with nothing but a bed, a minifridge, and a TV in the back of my pickup truck, and I consider myself to have always lived a fairly comfortable middle class lifestyle.

Quote:
now add in about 6 months of savings to cover rent and other necessities until you can find a job.
i've never seen a poor person with 6 months of savings.

you apply very strange standards of what it requires to move across the country.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:54 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,278,821 times
Quote:
So since it is difficult, don't even try it?
Who said that? But if you take a couple of growing seasons to learn how to get some food, you'd starve in the meantime without some supplementation. Also remember that some areas have very short growing seasons.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:03 AM

27,212 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
If people had to become more self sufficient, they would find a way to grow their own food, maybe through co-ops.

It would force recipient class people to become more productive citizens.
And eliminate fraud...I know of someone who was fired after filing a lawsuit against the company she worked for while basically she was partially at fault herself. I wasn't surprised they layed her off after reaching a settlement.

She and her boyfriend and child already moved into their family members home to save money and filing for bankruptcy after not having paid a lot of bills but still stuck with a student loan. The boyfriend has a job and now the girl is going back to school, while other family members outside the home take care of the child for free.

They bought 2 newer cars, planning an average marriage with a dress close to $ 1000.- and a big party for almost 100 people.

They collect food stamps and welfare....not a high amount but still any penny is to me ridiculous. I'm not sure if they reported the settlement to the IRS since hers is suppose to be reported...

Just watch some of the judge shows and how many are on there for their case and scamming the government.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:31 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Michelle Obama is trying to do just that....get poor people interested in gardening and growing their own produce. Perhaps you forgot about the gardens she put in at the White House and the educational programs that she's put in place to go along with it? Many of you Republicans on this site have been complaining about it and twisting its purpose into something resembling Communism.
Thank You!

I was going to point out that dichotomy / hypocracy in my next post!

Along with a similar conservative notion...people shouldn't have babies if they can't afford them, but let's make it really difficult for people to get birth control!!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Thank You!

I was going to point out that dichotomy / hypocracy in my next post!

Along with a similar conservative notion...people shouldn't have babies if they can't afford them, but let's make it really difficult for people to get birth control!!
How is it difficult to get birth control ?
Condoms are sold in supermarkets and gas stations for pete's sake.
One can even get them for free in school.

Do you think PP is the ONLY place in America to get birth control ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies