Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 07:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
People don't give, because the government is there.
Baloney! Our church has a monthly food drive, along with many other churches in our city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 07:15 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
In U.S., 14% Rely on Food Stamps - Real Time Economics - WSJ

Great article for those of you that care to read. BTW, there are 42 million people on food stamps in our country, do many of you seriously suggest that we allow them to starve? The average benefit size per person nationwide in August was $133.90/month. Per household it was $287.82/month, hardly living "high on the hog" at 71.00/week for a family. I have a family and we spend approx 150.00/week on food, and even then I still have to run out and pick up odds and ends by day 4-5.
These statements about cutting some people's only saving grace continues to astonish me, all the while many of them are supporting ridiculous tax subsidies for oil companies netting profits @11 BILLION dollars.
Some days I am simply ashamed of humankind and their greed.
One mans profit did not cause another mans poverty.

Nobody suggested that we let people starve. Only that they take responsibility for themselves.

You mean to tell me that someone who cares about their family can't find a way to EARN an additional $287 a month?

Better yet, get a few friends together, and adopt a "poor" family for $287 a month.

Or do you prefer that the rest of us pay?

Old 05-13-2011, 07:22 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
Quote:
So have I.

That's just justifying your actions.

Surely you can find a way to EARN an extra $100 a month?
Working on that too, but it's often harder than you think. You really don't live in the real world.

I have little left to sell, so we're cleaning out the basement and eventually, the garage for yard sales and ebay. Obtaining a 2nd part time job, or a decent full-time one is still elusive.

Instead of criticizing people for doing what they have to do to survive, you should be grateful you are not in this position.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
why do you think that anyone would care what you think; considering you are offering no statistics, no facts, and no reason to believe that eliminating food stamps would actually be beneficial to the economy.

i mean honestly. are you that ego-maniacal that you think people care to read every thought that passes through your head?
I don't need statistics to know that people will take the easy way out.

For years now, I've heard commercials on radio about how easy it is to get food stamps.

I wrote letters to my state and federal politicians complaining about it. They told me that the money is there and MUST be spent.

Now we're surprised that so many people take advantage of the program?

People aren't starving.

They're taking advantage.

Leave a sugar cube on your step. See if you get ants.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
People don't give, because the government is there.

Bull. I've always given.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
So you are for taking the land from those who own it in the city so the others can garden? What about the winter? you think these mini plots of other peoples land can generate enough food for an entire year, well as long as they can can it....

It is pretty evident you have never gardened. not all foods grow in all regions. You solution to barter works on a local coop level.. remember when food is ripe you pick it or lose it. Oranges are plentiful where I live and relatively cheap. but they are ripe in January. We could probably cover the demands of the entire city with relatively few trees but that would only be for a couple months. Even with our favorable weather we can't grow everything.

Those high density areas in bad climates...

Alphamale here is your test... You have two months. become self sufficient with food in that time and then teach us how to do it. If you can do that we in CD will launch a grassroots campaign to place you as the Sec of Agriculture so you can teach everyone.

You can only spend $125 which is the equivalent of 1 months of food stamps and it must generate 12 months of supplies for your family. There is no eating out. You can barter. It is May 13 so you must become self sufficient by July 13.

here are a few hints:
Wheat and corn grow in the midwest
tropical regions will grow your sugar cane and citrus
tomatoes can grow most places
peas grow only in spring
open range chickens produce about 200 eggs/ year- they eat 1/3# of food a day
cows take 16#'s of grain to make a pound of meat... a cow weighs about 1000 #'s
goats take up less space and can also produce milk and meat if you want.
Some plants take more than 3 months to produce, might want to start with them first.

It will be a good thing you aren't working so you will have time to do all that is required to keep crops growing.

It is easy to criticize the poor, They have no resources to fight back. Don't take a stab at a bank. their lobby spends $1.4 million a day to get what they want. With that they are permitted to charge massive interest rates, foreclose vs mitigate, and even get their losses covered by the country. Curious there is little complaints about their bailouts yet when we give food to people the natives get upset.

Some 786 banks received funds in excess of 204 Billion, including BOA at 15B, Chase, Wells and Citigroup at 25 B ea

In perspective, there are 43 million on food stamps, they get $133 / month. $1B can feed 7.5 Million / month.
The average large bank gave 1 billion in bonuses. Some CEO's received over $400,000,000 yet you complain about $133 for food.

Doesn't seem the energy is focused in the right area.
How did our ancestors do it?

Again.

One mans wealth has nothing to do with another mans poverty.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I take it you didn't live in a high-rise apartment building in Brooklyn or the Bronx, where any available 'land' may not get even an hour of sunlight a day and there are no yards.
Barter.

Babysit. Clean. Cook.

If YOUR family is that important to YOU, YOU will do whatever it takes to provide.

People have always done it.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
How did our ancestors do it?

Again.

One mans wealth has nothing to do with another mans poverty.
They suffered illness from malnutrition. They often died of starvation. Read a little history.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Personally I'd rather we stop allowing the bankers to rape our financial system for billions of dollars, before we go to war against America's poor.

Even within the context of welfare, food stamps don't bother me. I'd rather we rid ourselves of section 8, and these financial incentives for single moms to pop out units.
Yet again.

What does one mans wealth have to do with another mans poverty?

Old 05-13-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Michelle Obama is trying to do just that....get poor people interested in gardening and growing their own produce. Perhaps you forgot about the gardens she put in at the White House and the educational programs that she's put in place to go along with it? Many of you Republicans on this site have been complaining about it and twisting its purpose into something resembling Communism.
There is a major difference between volunteering your time and effort and being forced to do it by a government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies