Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 12:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Hey, I live in Texas. The illegals are here because back home they're treated like cr@p- no good schools, no ER visits, no freebies. Here, they've got all that PLUS tax-free jobs where they get paid in cash.

You don't think we pay taxes at gunpoint? Just try not paying your pound of flesh on 4/15, and see what happens. The IRS has its own police force.

I agree that the US is the best country on earth- despite the corrupt federal government that is doing its best to ruin it.

We don't have a free market here. Our government refuses to enforce citizenship laws, there are way too many intrusive regulations, etc. If we actually protected our borders and forced employers to hire legal workers, the free market would take over.
Well, outside of your views on taxes, you're not saying anything that isn't unreasonable. We just have philosophical differences, that's all.

But i do think that we have a free market here. Hell, i'd say TOO free. It's not regulated nearly enough for my taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 01:02 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,278,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
You're correct, most American workers couldn't survive on what illegals are paid. Close the border, and wages will rise. Will Americans take those jobs? Probably not- why work when the federal government will pay you to sit on the couch?
To what extent would you want to close the border? It's very facile to say "close the borders", but it's not realistic, unless we'd like to have our borders like East/West Germany in the Cold War years. Why not allow more legal migrant workers?

Also remember that if wages for picking produce rise, the prices of our produce will also rise. These are complex issues - people don't have the large extended families that they once had, so a single mom has limited choices in working. How would she pick tomatoes 12 hours a day AND pay for child care? How far would that $50 ... let's say $75 a day with the new, improved wage go to support a woman with only two children? She couldn't even afford the produce she picked, much less health care, clothing, transportation ...

What do you suggest?

Old 05-14-2011, 02:36 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,640,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
That would be because we don't provide enough legal avenues (work visas) for migrant workers, so their option is to work here illegally. Most American families could not survive on the $50 or so a day that you get for picking produce 12-14 hours a day. The immigrant workers couldn't, either, but for the fact that one or two family members come up to work and stay in cheap housing with several other people. Doing what it takes? Sure, but there certainly could be improvements.

I also live in southern Arizona, and I've known some of these workers. They don't want to be away from their families, they don't want to be living with a dozen other men, etc.
That is not true. The US gives out unlimited migrant worker visas.

No need for migrants to be here illegally. In fact, the vast majority of illegal aliens are NOT working in the fields; they are taking solid middle-class jobs from Americans because the illegals work for dirt wages. That is not something ANY American citizen should have to do. That's why we have a minimum wage policy.

Most illegals also receive all the freebie handouts that are offered to, and paid for by, CITIZENS of America.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Those illegals aren't that hungry either. They're doing that work on full stomachs. I live in Southern Arizona..i know better.

And you're not being held at gunpoint. You pay your taxes for the same reasons i do....this is a nice country. Some say the best in the world (though i'd entertain arguments to the contrary), and being the best costs dough. Lotsa dough. I rather like it here. So much that i'm willing to pay for it.

And American citizens aren't doing those jobs because of the free market. I thought you Paulistas worshipped at that temple? I can and will pick veggies, but i'm going to do it for a wage that allows me to live well. I'm not an illegal, and i won't live like one. Sure, their government doesn't believe in handouts, but there are reasons for that. One...they don't have anything to hand out! LOL...so i don't think there is any reason to give you reason number 2!
Mexico is, in fact, a pretty wealthy country. I have a feeling that the 'white' mexicans are just trying to rid 'their' country of all the poor indigenous people that were conquered so long ago. Ridding themselves by encouraging, and even aiding and abetting them to come here, illegally. JMO

Old 05-14-2011, 02:52 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,435,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Can you blame the illegals ?
Their kids get free education, free healthcare, free food and free spending money.

What would they get in their home country that comes near that ?

Your correct. The illegals are actually pretty smart. It is our own Government who are the dumb ones. Why not take advantage of what is out there and for free.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:59 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Mexico is, in fact, a pretty wealthy country. I have a feeling that the 'white' mexicans are just trying to rid 'their' country of all the poor indigenous people that were conquered so long ago. Ridding themselves by encouraging, and even aiding and abetting them to come here, illegally. JMO
That's a fair point. Yes, the country is wealthy in resources. Very wealthy in fact. But it's definitely concentrated in the hands of a few....not that the same phenomenon isn't happening here on a large scale when you think about it.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's a fair point. Yes, the country is wealthy in resources. Very wealthy in fact. But it's definitely concentrated in the hands of a few....not that the same phenomenon isn't happening here on a large scale when you think about it.
I agree, but at least we make an attempt to help our citizens, despite the more and more frequent calls for eliminating social services because 'they're too expensive' (yeah, right).

Old 05-14-2011, 03:11 PM

512 posts, read 1,183,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If people had to become more self sufficient, they would find a way to grow their own food, maybe through co-ops.

It would force recipient class people to become more productive citizens.
Yeah, I will definitely tell my grandmother: "Granny, I was adviced by some person with a good reputation, that you should give up your food stamps and start planting your own veggies and fruits in flower pots in your apartment. Come on Granny, help the economy, America really needs this money to pass it to Israel, and to fight Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya and other evil countries..."

Take from the poor, give to the rich. Almost like Robin Hood. Almost...

Old 05-14-2011, 04:19 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Quote:
What does one mans wealth have to do with another mans poverty?
I don't know. Is this some kind of riddle?

Old 05-14-2011, 04:25 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,030,696 times
Quote:
Why do some people make excuses for everything?
It's a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
That would be because we don't provide enough legal avenues (work visas) for migrant workers, so their option is to work here illegally. Most American families could not survive on the $50 or so a day that you get for picking produce 12-14 hours a day. The immigrant workers couldn't, either, but for the fact that one or two family members come up to work and stay in cheap housing with several other people. Doing what it takes? Sure, but there certainly could be improvements.

I also live in southern Arizona, and I've known some of these workers. They don't want to be away from their families, they don't want to be living with a dozen other men, etc.
I don't know how it is in AZ, but the illegals in NY just steal someone's SS# or drop an anchor baby. Then, they get free housing, medical care and...

...FOOD STAMPS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies