Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 07:54 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If people had to become more self sufficient, they would find a way to grow their own food, maybe through co-ops.

It would force recipient class people to become more productive citizens.
Yeah there are many people who abuse the system
granted we have a population that deserves due to mental illness or a handicapp or age but so many people abuse the system and i am sure millions are wasted on people who are fully capable of getting off the couch putting down the big gulp and go to work do something go mow a yard or two ... geez
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 07:55 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,644,418 times
Quote:
How about people taking responsibility for their own actions.

I've NEVER had a difficulty getting birth control.

If you can't afford birth control for whatever reason, don't have sex.

That's called CHOICE!
Ah, yes. Only rich people can have sex!
Pretty soon, only rich people will be able to afford to breathe the air, also.

After all, if you can't afford clean air, don't breathe!

Old 05-13-2011, 07:57 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,046,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Let's say we eliminate food stamps.... Now we have 43 million people that don't have money for food... we just boxed them into a corner. Do you think they will just sit quietly and die as survival of the fittest takes over? Seems 43 million might be in the streets rioting or stealing to survive... ever consider that? What do desperate people do? Do you think your precious economy would survive the turmoil?

The Soup lines of the 30's were in a time people were nicer and more considerate, do you think they will react the same?

We remove food from the equation of inflation. so we can sit and think our inflation is lower than reality. trust me people on $133 / month know what foods have gone up in price.

We have politicians that do little to help the people. Our Senators become lobbyists for banks so they can make millions and use their influence to screw the people that previously elected them. The president hires those that were so integral in the economic meltdown into roles where they can continue to help their friends and reap 10's of millions. This is what is disgusting. That a Vice President hires a firm so he can get his stock options and make a fortune. martha Stewart goes to jail because she saves $30,000 on an inside trade and Cheney makes 30 million and gets nothing... WOW isn't America great.

And the douchebags actually think it's ok ... and the people turn a blind eye
Nah.

There are actually only about 6 million truly needy people on food stamps.

The rest will just have to actually spend their own money for food.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
If you're a sexually active woman, not prepared to have children, you best protect yourself.
Oh, I get it.

You are selling chastity belts, right?

Old 05-13-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Working on that too, but it's often harder than you think. You really don't live in the real world.

I have little left to sell, so we're cleaning out the basement and eventually, the garage for yard sales and ebay. Obtaining a 2nd part time job, or a decent full-time one is still elusive.

Instead of criticizing people for doing what they have to do to survive, you should be grateful you are not in this position.
Been there my whole life.

I am grateful that God gave me the inate ability to care for myself.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:02 PM

4 posts, read 3,773 times
I agree that the food stamp system is abused, but what about the children of this worthless parents. Do we let them starve because of their parents. Where is the humanity people!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
They suffered illness from malnutrition. They often died of starvation. Read a little history.
That would save social security.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Been there my whole life.

I am grateful that God gave me the inate ability to care for myself.
You and billions of others.
Not hardly special.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
The bankers and wall street jockeys put many people into poverty through their greed. Madoff ring a bell?
Madoff screwed rich people.

Ding, ding, ding, ding.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
That would save social security.
No, it wouldn't.
Social Security relies on the younger generations to contribute to the pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies