Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you consider voting for Ron Paul?
Yes 31 31.96%
No 51 52.58%
Maybe with more information about him 4 4.12%
I've alreading decided to Vote for Obama 11 11.34%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:36 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
I'm wondering if the left that is unhappy with Obama's performance would consider Paul. That, and I think that a lot of Republicans are unhappy with the direction of the GOP and believe Paul could help getting them back on the right track. .
Funny how you need Money to win...why would he not have a chance as a libertarian? Why would republican-conservatives not vote for a libertarian if they are idealistically incline with one another....

either its party that matters or ideology(where issues come in hand) which is it. becauae some people seem to not know or flip flop on it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 09:38 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
Let me get this straight...you think the federal goverment has more interest in your rights than the states? How about the fact that Ron Paul is a Constitutionalist meaning he's one of the few politicians in this country actually fighting FOR your rights whereas the Federal Goverment...
Thank you for proving my point and why I think Ron Paul and his supporters are nuts when it comes to rights. They don't stand up for the individual, they stand up for the states, which was my point. DOMA, for example. Why is the issue of "defending" marriage ANY government's business?

Old 05-13-2011, 09:38 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Six months ago I would have answered 'yes' but the more he talks, the less I like him.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:39 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
Ron Paul will be 76 years old in a few months. Would people actually vote for someone going into the White House at that age? It's not like it's a "low stress" job.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:45 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Observing the group of Presidents we've had the past 20 years I'd say if he was in a coma that would be an asset let alone his age.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:46 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Ron Paul will be 76 years old in a few months. Would people actually vote for someone going into the White House at that age? It's not like it's a "low stress" job.
Principles are timeless.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:12 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Another well informed Obama supporter, it's the John Birch Society.

The John Birch Society

Their slogan on their website is "Less government, more responsibility and with God's help, a better world". I can see how that would **** off a lot of rabid liberal idiots.
Well, excuse my typo

I know exactly who and what they are.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:32 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
Do you know much the goverment throws at surface transportation a year?
Let me guess...

I dunno. Maybe about $128 billion?

Quote:
"Obama Administration has proposed investing a total of $128 billion in transportation in FY2012, a $53 billion increase…"

US transportation budget with mega-deficits (EDITORIAL) | TOLLROADSnews

I'll pay a toll rather than $426 a year. That's what 128B is divided by 300M (the number of US citizens). It'll probably be managed better and be maintained a lot better than the federal goverment.
Do you drive much through states that have toll roads?

I have.

Here's what I've noticed.

The roads are NOT in better shape than public roads. Matter of fact, they oftentimes have MILES of multilanes blocked down to single lanes. Of course, the tolls aren't reduced when they have traffic clogged up the wazoo. You pay as much for a trip over a crumbly, constricted, under-construction roadway as you would when it's clear sailing.

And all that toll money? Should maybe go into reducing taxes, don't you think? Taxes on a gallon of gas, for instance. Since most of the tax money for transportation gets buried in prices at the pump.

Well, guess what? In states with lots of toll roads, gas prices are just as high. Sometimes even higher.

Average Prices By State - Texas Gas Prices

Nope. This whole sham idea of turning over highways built by taxpayer dollars to some political cronies to line their pockets with is BS, pure and simple. The taxpayers lose. The driving public loses. Narrow special interests win.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:38 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
As a democratic leaning independent, Ron Paul is the ONE republican I have respect for. That doesn't guarantee I would vote for him because he is way too much of an ideologue in my opinion. He makes sense on most issues, but most importantly, comes out as an honest politician (a rarity), but he assumes the real world to be a replica of a utopia. Sometimes, too much of states' rights person as well, whereas I'm for people's rights.
Yet the federal government tramples the rights of the individual when it exceeds it Constitutional authority in the Marxist interpretation of "general welfare" much more so than the states.

If you truly valued the rights of individuals you would support a smaller central government and allow that power to remain with the states and with the people as was the original intent.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:39 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Observing the group of Presidents we've had the past 20 years I'd say if he was in a coma that would be an asset let alone his age.
I couldn't help but notice throughout US history, the nation prospers when the Presidents' do nothing but whenever they take any sort of action, the result is generally war and economic strife; More so in recent years.

I like Ron Paul not for what he wants to do but for what he doesn't want to do. He doesn't want to do a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies