Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:43 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,563 times

Advertisements

What would I say to oil company executives?
As myself, I'd say...

%@$#$%!@%#$

As President, I'd say...

Sorry fellas, your companies now belong to the people of the USA. That's right bubs, you've been socialized. Next step for you is to prison for decimation of the environment, market manipulation and colluding with government officials who, coincidentally, will also be serving time right next to you. We are going to wean ourselves off your product, save the planet, and utilize the cheaper methods of acquiring energy that you kept hidden from the world. Say bye bye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 10:13 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
" If you could say one thing to all the filthy, greedy, oil executives...
...what would it be?"

Congratulations! You know that Americans are suckers!

Old 05-14-2011, 10:47 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I'd thank them for all the charitable donations they give. They supply a TON of money to colleges across the country. Kind of funny they help educate all these people who end up hating them.

I'd also thank them for supplying jobs to over 9 million Americans.
Well paying jobs too, jobs that allow these people to raise families without worry about who will get laid of next.

I'd apologize for all the ignorant people in this country who don't understand why oil prices increase. Oil prices increase for 4 reasons: Inflation, Lack of Supply, Crisis in Middle East, and Fear of a Gulf Moratorium on Drilling.

I'd apologize for the current administration causing the price of oil to rise with their irrational fear of drilling for oil and gas here in America.
If the Obama administration would permit more drilling here at home, the price of gasoline at the pump would decrease.

I'd thank them for doing more research than any other companies into alternative fuels (for transportation and for energy). The Oil and Gas industry is the leader in alternative fuel research and natural gas production.

I'd thank them for pointing out how natural gas is cleaner than coal. Natural gas is 75% cleaner than coal. It isn't a completely clean "green" fuel, but it is the closest thing we have.
I'd apologize for this post...

Old 05-14-2011, 10:49 AM

767 posts, read 2,291,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
...what would it be?

Personally I would say thank you for spending the capital and taking the risk to explore and drill for oil so that I can put gasoline in my car, despite all of the obstacles and exorbitant taxes put in place by our government, as well as the narrow profit margin.
I would say thank you for the dividends you pay me every quarter.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:05 AM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
...what would it be?

Personally I would say thank you for spending the capital and taking the risk to explore and drill for oil so that I can put gasoline in my car, despite all of the obstacles and exorbitant taxes put in place by our government, as well as the narrow profit margin.
The lack of knowledge and maturity shown on in this forum never cease to amaze me.

People rant and rave, name call, wishing the execs should go to hell, etc., about the oil execs saying how evil they are without even knowing the big oil companies DON"T set oil prices.

A little education might be in order. and this is from a liberal newspaper organization:

"Some 70 percent of contracts for future oil delivery are now bought by financial speculators — largely big investment banks and hedge funds — who never take control of the oil. They just flip the contract for a quick profit".

Only about 30 percent of oil contracts are bought by a purchaser that actually intends to use the oil, such as an airline. That's according to the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, which regulates trade in those contracts.

"I'm convinced ... that speculators are actively manipulating (prices)," said Michael Greenberger, a University of Maryland law professor who in the 1990s headed the CFTC's trading division".

Hundreds of billions of dollars are being made through this speculation — both in the regulated futures market and on the larger unregulated over-the-counter swaps market, where private bets about the movement of oil prices take place."

"The sheer volume of new capital coming from hedge funds, financial traders and other long-term passive investors — interests that mostly buy oil futures to turn a quick profit — is creating artificial demand and driving up the price for consumers," said Sen. Maria Cantwell, D-Wash"[LEFT]
Read more: Speculation explains more about oil prices than anything else - Politics Wires - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/05/13/2215863/speculation-explains-more-about.html#ixzz1MLZzg9VK - broken link)

Read more: Speculation explains more about oil prices than anything else - Politics Wires - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/05/13/2215863/speculation-explains-more-about.html#ixzz1MLZ6G3VT - broken link)
[/LEFT]

Old 05-14-2011, 11:09 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Because all resources belong to the state

I'm against subsidies.
They should belong to the state and the industry should be nationalized.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:10 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
I'd apologize for this post...
lol post-o-the-day

Old 05-14-2011, 11:11 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
...what would it be?

You forgot to thank them for the very valuable light oil that has resulted in the creation of 100s of life-saving or life-prolonging drugs that might be keeping your elderly parents or someone you know alive.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:15 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,258 times
Quote:
...what would it be?

Thank you for buying out all alternative energy startups like the electric cars in the 90s to further your monopoly, and thank you for buying our politicians so they give you HUGE TAX LOOPHOLES (The OP is dead wrong about "exorbitant taxes" if he thinks he's talking about taxes paid to the US) while making Billions in profits a year AND DESTROYING THE GULF OF MEXICO with ZERO royalties paid to US for OUR land they've DESTROYED for FREE so they can CHARGE US MORE at the pump ANYWAY.

Ya, Thanks a lot.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:38 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
2% profit margins are the lowest in any business that I can think of.

Not many companies can survive on those low profit margins.

No one here would work for 2% profits period.

If you are not happy with them making profits then stop DEMANDING and USING their product.

Walk so you can keep those bad guys from making any profits.

If it was up to a liberal they would want and expect free gas fill ups.
It is getting harder these days to find a liberal who wants to work or earn something.

Call 1-800 Nancy Pelosi and talk to her about her promise to go after those big bad oil companies. That was made in 2006, its 2011 and she kinda has been canned so it might be hard to reach her.

If I remember correctly Obama made 2 million of his book of lies, now is he greedy for making all that money on a book full of lies?

WALK or GET A BIKE ( then you whine about the profits the seller of the bike made )
Oil Industry Profit Margin Ranks #114 Out 215

Actually they rank at about 6.2% profit margin, which is several points higher then most industries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies