Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 03:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Who said not profitable? There's a big difference between 'making a living' and 'wealth' in most eyes. There are reasons other than $$$ to work for. Many are happy 'making a living' if they enjoy what they're doing knowing full well they're unlikely to become wealthy. There's a lot to be said for "
do something you love and you will never work a day in your life"
But burdell..they are wealthy..very wealthy.
There's more to life than money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 03:59 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times
If you are talking about corporations, then the rate at which their executives are taxed is pretty much irrelevant. A corporation hires and fires on the basis of profits, which don't depend on executive salaries. If the business model is viable, then the corporation will be profitable.

Executives certainly don't hire the corporation's employees using their own money, in any case.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:07 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,412,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
I didn't say that they are currently making no profit, although not all of them are. You appear to have no knowledge of small business at all. Don't go by the radio talk show definition, look it up.

Many, many millions of SB owners make a decent living, yet are not wealthy. Perhaps you could explain what motivated you to start a thread like this.
I feel no need to justify my OP to you. Seriously? Perhaps you could tell me what motivates you to think you are superior. What is your definition of wealthly?

Old 05-14-2011, 04:07 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
So what is his income?
I haven't asked, but when he says he earns less than his employees, he won't make more than $50k a year (gross), probably less.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I haven't asked, but when he says he earns less than his employees, he won't make more than $50k a year (gross), probably less.
Are you serious?!!! This man makes less than $50,000 a year and his employees make more?!!!!!!!!!! You need to refer him to a financial planner ASAP. This man will never be able to retire. WTH?!!!!!!!

Old 05-14-2011, 04:12 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Have you ever tried to tax a poor person?
Government has figured it out. First of all, cigarette smoking, except for the very poorest, drops with rising income. So increase cigarette taxes. The poor also spend more of their income on alcoholic beverages, so increase taxes on them as well.

Last edited by pvande55; 05-14-2011 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: Reference not clear

Old 05-14-2011, 04:16 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,390 times
Quote:
I feel no need to justify my OP to you. Seriously? Perhaps you could tell me what motivates you to think you are superior. What is your definition of wealthly?
LOL Not my thread, I don't need to define it, bit now we have your definition.

I just plain don't think you have any clue as to what you're talking about. There are millions of people that don't make $500 k a year, and have many, many employees, and create new jobs.

That's what motivates me. Many of us have to bear the cross everyday because people throw out things they heard, read, were emailed about.

High schooler challenges Michele Bachmann to Constitution showdown - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110513/us_yblog_thelookout/high-schooler-challenges-michelle-bachmann-to-constitution-showdown - broken link)

What motivated her?

Old 05-14-2011, 04:17 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Are you serious?!!! This man makes less than $50,000 a year and his employees make more?!!!!!!!!!! You need to refer him to a financial planner ASAP. This man will never be able to retire. WTH?!!!!!!!
Huh?!? He lives in Europe, pays his social security contributions etc. So, of course he will be able to retire. My income is significantly less than his and I too will be able to retire. But Europeans have different expectations of retirement. We don't work our whole lives like crazy in order to compensate in our 70s for all the things we missed out on when younger. Retirees in Europe are modest, no need to travel the world etc. We do all that when young.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
LOL Not my thread, I don't need to define it, bit now we have your definition.

I just plain don't think you have any clue as to what you're talking about. There are millions of people that don't make $500 k a year, and have many, many employees, and create new jobs.

That's what motivates me. Many of us have to bear the cross everyday because people throw out things they heard, read, were emailed about.

High schooler challenges Michele Bachmann to Constitution showdown - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110513/us_yblog_thelookout/high-schooler-challenges-michelle-bachmann-to-constitution-showdown - broken link)

What motivated her?
I think you have no clue about me, but rock on. I don't understand the Michele Bachman link at all.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:27 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Personally no i have not. I much rather help out a poor person, that is just me, maybe wrong i don't know.
No its not wrong to help anyone You brought back memories when i carried some people through the month passing newspapers.They were disabled or just poor but i was a good judge of character and they paid what they owed to me with a little extra for doing it.
At Christmas i didn't expect a card or a bonus but most tried too even when they didn't have much which touched me that they thought that much about me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies