Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 08:46 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Ok, now I'm going to have to drive back up tomorrow to see the sign again because I could have sworn it said Saturn.. Maybe it was Kia.. I know its one of those off brand companies..
BigSkyDude is right. We had 2 Saturns and they are now defunct. It's possible I suppose that some dealer still has some, but there are no longer being made. More likely though it's either an old sign or you are remembering wrong.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 08:47 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,580,582 times
There are definitely signs of recovery around my neighborhood.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:54 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
Glad to hear your area is showing signs of life, it's really good to hear. But my area is still definately being adversely affected by the current economic crisis. Unemployment is still very high, and there are no visible signs, such as new construction or even re use of old properties, to be seen anywhere near my home.

I work mainly in the Raleigh/Durham area in construction and even though Raleigh is still considered a growing city, new home construction is still pretty much dead. And commercial, while still kicking, is dying off dramatically. And pretty much the only expansion you see are corporate names, small businesses are dying out and they aren't being replaced with more small business because the market is just not able to provide enough work to keep us busy. The last 2 or so years of my life have been a real struggle, to the point where I'm now just proud to be able to pay my rent on time. It's a bad situation, and I sincerely hope we start seeing more of the growth you are describing in my neck of the woods. Here's hoping!

Old 05-15-2011, 12:56 AM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
I'm seeing new owners selling houses that they built only about a year or so ago.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:09 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Glad to hear your area is showing signs of life, it's really good to hear. But my area is still definately being adversely affected by the current economic crisis. Unemployment is still very high, and there are no visible signs, such as new construction or even re use of old properties, to be seen anywhere near my home.

I work mainly in the Raleigh/Durham area in construction and even though Raleigh is still considered a growing city, new home construction is still pretty much dead. And commercial, while still kicking, is dying off dramatically. And pretty much the only expansion you see are corporate names, small businesses are dying out and they aren't being replaced with more small business because the market is just not able to provide enough work to keep us busy. The last 2 or so years of my life have been a real struggle, to the point where I'm now just proud to be able to pay my rent on time. It's a bad situation, and I sincerely hope we start seeing more of the growth you are describing in my neck of the woods. Here's hoping!
That's interesting I live in the same area and things seem to be going pretty well. I am also in the service industry as opposed to construction. It is possible it is the difference between Raleigh/Cary and Chapel Hill/Durham. I have heard Wake county is rough and that Cary in particular is a mess, but Durham/Chapel Hill seems to be doing well from what I am experiencing.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:25 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Recently I've seen a good indication locally that we are entering into an economic recovery..

I've seen
a vacant Circuit City property be sold, along with the property next door.
a vacant Value City location rent to HHGregg
a chinese restaurant thats been empty for years, opens up tomorrow
a vacant gas station has become a used car dealership
a vacant used car dealership is opening up next month to become a new Saturn dealership
an empty Pizza Hut has become a restaurant
empty store front has become a large gym
an empty retail storefront has become a pet store
another empty office space is being turned into a dance studio with the empty office space next to them rented to an insurance company.

And many more locations that were vacant, becoming occupied in the last couple of months.

Anyone else seeing a sudden jump in development in their area?

I had a customer in yesterday who was just hired to work a third shift at one of the local stamping plants, but he's only one of a handful of people I've met in recent years still in manufacturing. Mostly it's people working in retail who are finding jobs. Of course NAFTA is a large part of the reason we're not rebounding more sharply in manufacturing here in Michigan.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:34 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
pgh, we are still going downhill here in my slice of Florida.
2 more furniture stores have closed recently, which does not help my particular line of work at all.
We have had a couple of restaurants open, but I'm holding my breath on those.
Unemployment is still over 14% here.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:09 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
BigSkyDude is right. We had 2 Saturns and they are now defunct. It's possible I suppose that some dealer still has some, but there are no longer being made. More likely though it's either an old sign or you are remembering wrong.

Ken
I went passed the location again, its a Kia dealership, not a Saturn.. I stand corrected.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:26 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,700 times
Thumbs up Signs of recovery

I've noticed an increase in rail traffic in recent months. Specifically, containerized cargo and auto carriers.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:43 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
I went passed the location again, its a Kia dealership, not a Saturn.. I stand corrected.
No problem. Your basic point still stands - regardless of what type of dealership it is that's opened.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies