Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You A Libertarian ?
NO 26 38.81%
YES 41 61.19%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 07:37 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times

Advertisements

I'm a Constitutionalist.

Policies from any party, that go against our own Constitution, are frowned upon.
Live & let live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 07:40 AM

950 posts, read 1,515,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Many self-proclaimed Libertarians are not REAL Libertarians.
I know, like Bill Maher for example. He claims to be a Libertarian yet he is 100% in the tank for Obama and the Democratic Party. Obama can do no wrong in his eyes. Bill Maher is what I would call a LINO (Libertarian In Name Only).

Old 05-15-2011, 07:46 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Hold on, I claim to be a Libertarian and I voted for Bob Barr in the 08 election. I was one of the few black people who didn't vote for Barack Obama.
curious, why not Chuck Baldwin? was he on your state ballot?

Old 05-15-2011, 07:52 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
I know this because the Libertarian candidate Bob Barr only got 0.4% of the popular vote in the 2008 presidential elections, so I doubt very much that the majority of the posters here on city-data voted for the Libertarian Bob Barr.
Bob Barr is to libertarianism what Donald Trump is to humility.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:56 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I'm a Constitutionalist.

Policies from any party, that go against our own Constitution, are frowned upon.
Live & let live.
Constitutionalism IS Libertarianism.

Constitution Party (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-15-2011, 07:58 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
I'll say yes, of course I'll get attacked for that. I view being a libertarian as having different levels of following it.

You can be a libertarian and think that government can do some things well. I feel we need less law enforcement, less military, less government regulation on EPA issues and OSHA issues, I feel we need less government intervention into law enforcement, less drug enforcement, etc.

But I don't have a problem with social security if the retirement age is raise. I don't have a problem with nationalized healthcare. I don't have a problem against public assistance in food and housing.

So yes, I'm a libertarian. I feel that less government is good government. Especially when it comes to regulations and private lives. I feel that to get small business going again, then we need to get off of the back of the small business man with needless regulations.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:01 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
For the most part I think I am. I'm not libertarian enough to advocate the dismantling of most of the federal government though.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:04 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post

Only in a name.
Lieberman says he is a Libertarian, but he has voted against the Constitution, on several occasions with very Progressive policy.

Libertarians are just middle of the road politically, with both Conservative and Progressive ideology.

Libertarian, is just another word for Conservative Democrat. Remember those guys?

A Constitutionalist, is much different.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:06 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
I'm Libertarian in the sense that the states should be free from the clutches of the federal government in defining what is best for their states. They should be able to define their regulations and rules and laws without fed interference, as long as it respects the US Constitution and those regulations (or lack thereof) doesn't cause undue harm on the people of a neighboring state (like toxic waste dumping on the Mississippi)

Old 05-15-2011, 08:07 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
I just don't like being pigeonholed. Like I said, for the most part I am libertarian. I know some hardcore libertarians think there should be no federal civil rights law, and I disagree completely. I'm usually socially liberal (support gay marriage, ending the war on drugs) but sometimes conservative (I support gun rights and less handouts).

If you're just a person who parrots everything on Fox News or CNN then it's easy to pick "Conservative" or "Liberal" or "Democrat" or "Republican." Free-thinking men may have varied opinions that don't always line up with a party line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies