Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 08:26 PM

57,314 posts, read 26,217,746 times

Advertisements

JIM LEHRER: People often ask me if there are guidelines in our practice of what I like to call MacNeil/Lehrer journalism. Well, yes, there are. And here they are:

* Do nothing I cannot defend.
* Cover, write and present every story with the care I would want if the story were about me.
* Assume there is at least one other side or version to every story.
* Assume the viewer is as smart and as caring and as good a person as I am.
* Assume the same about all people on whom I report.
* Assume personal lives are a private matter, until a legitimate turn in the story absolutely mandates otherwise.
* Carefully separate opinion and analysis from straight news stories, and clearly label everything.
* Do not use anonymous sources or blind quotes, except on rare and monumental occasions.
* No one should ever be allowed to attack another anonymously.
* And, finally, I am not in the entertainment business.

Here is how I closed a speech about our changes to our PBS stations family last spring:

"We really are the fortunate ones in the current tumultuous world of journalism right now. When we wake up in the morning, we only have to decide what the news is and how we are going to cover it. We never have to decide who we are and why we are there."
That is the way it has been for these nearly 35 years. And that's the way it will be forever. And for the NewsHour, there will always be a forever.

'I Am Not in the Entertainment Business' and Other Rules of MacNeil/Lehrer Journalism | The Rundown News Blog | PBS NewsHour | PBS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 10:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
He is one of the few fair, close to objsective people on PBS. I will be sorry to see him go.

Nita

Old 05-15-2011, 11:28 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Really a true journalist More need apply

He'll still be doing things - just not on a regular basis.

"He said he will still appear many Fridays to moderate a weekly analysis feature with columnists Mark Shields and David Brooks."

Old 05-15-2011, 06:32 PM

57,314 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Really a true journalist More need apply

He'll still be doing things - just not on a regular basis.

"He said he will still appear many Fridays to moderate a weekly analysis feature with columnists Mark Shields and David Brooks."
Yes one of the objective reporters, had his name removed from the PBS show. I think back to year ago when the news was maybe 12 noon and 6 PM, now it's continuous with little substance. I would love to see all the networks abide by his guidlines.

The Sheilds and Brooks segment on Wednesday and Friday is the best, glad he is staying with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies