Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your political affiliation and level of education
Conservative with no high school diploma 1 2.63%
Liberal with no high school diploma 1 2.63%
Moderate with no high school diploma 0 0%
Conservative with high school diploma 0 0%
Liberal with high school diploma 0 0%
Moderate with high school diploma 0 0%
Conservative with some college 3 7.89%
Liberal with some college 2 5.26%
Moderate with some college 2 5.26%
Conservative with college degree 15 39.47%
Liberal with college degree 9 23.68%
Moderate with college degree 5 13.16%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:47 AM

852 posts, read 1,357,716 times

Advertisements

This is building on a post from another member. What is your political affiliation, level of education. For those that earned a college degree, what is your major and do you feel like the experience was worth it. For those that didn't graduate college (or even high school), do you regret it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 09:54 AM

It took me 10 years and multiple changes to my major but I finally earned my Bachelor of Science in Business. Originally I started as a journalism major and then changed to political science, public relations, and finally to business. Due to some poor decisions as a kid, it took me much longer and cost much more than it should have. But at the end of the day, I think it has been beneficial not only professionally, and financially but personally as well.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:27 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
It took me 10 years and multiple changes to my major but I finally earned my Bachelor of Science in Business. Originally I started as a journalism major and then changed to political science, public relations, and finally to business. Due to some poor decisions as a kid, it took me much longer and cost much more than it should have. But at the end of the day, I think it has been beneficial not only professionally, and financially but personally as well.
So, you needed a lot of discipline.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:41 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
I picked moderate with a college degree. I teach special education.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:59 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
There will be many false replies by people who want to counter the stereotypes (which are probably correct).

Old 05-15-2011, 11:01 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Speech Language Pathology & Audiology and yes it was worth it.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
So, you needed a lot of discipline.
I wouldn't say that but I would say that from the ages of 18-22, it wasn't really a priority. It wasn't until I quit school and started working full-time that I realized how important education is. My only regret is that I didn't take it more seriously when I was younger. I'm advancing in my career and making a pretty good living so it's all water under the bridge now.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:37 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
I have more then a college degree, but my BA is in Political Science. It was definitely worth it 100%.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:50 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
This is building on a post from another member. What is your political affiliation, level of education. For those that earned a college degree, what is your major and do you feel like the experience was worth it. For those that didn't graduate college (or even high school), do you regret it?
I hold two college degrees and enough hours beyond the MS to have earned a doctorate. Since both degrees were earned in the 1950s they are both worthless to me today. My BS was in Physical Education and very important to me during my teaching early teaching days as that was the course I taught most often. My minor on that one was History and I used it all my 28 years since I taught history and government the whole time.

Now as for the MS, it was necessary to get an administrator's certificate in order to be a school administrator and I only used it for that purpose 3 years.

I needed those degrees in order to teach so I guess they were pretty important since I couldn't have been certificated without them. I didn't make much money from them but I chose to teach knowing it wasn't a very lucrative area.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:54 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
There will be many false replies by people who want to counter the stereotypes (which are probably correct).
Yeah, actually I lied in my reply.

Of course, you would think that a conservative with two college degrees and many hours beyond was a liar. I am an old conservative but was a very liberal Dem for nearly 20 years of my voting life and yeah, I was awarded both those degrees from a college that is still in operation. I will never forget how happy I was wearing the short sleeves on that 100 degree day when the bachelor people were wearing those gowns with long sleeves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies